FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Blogging software

webapp
I have been searching on the web for the best blogging software so i can install on my website

here are the options i came with

b2evolution
Nucleus
pMachine Free
WordPress

now I am confused which one should i use....though i installed wordpress.....and started using..it i am not sure whther it is the best...

Any suggestions.....

Hey by the way check out my site at http://sejalpatel.com/wordpress/
mirzapirza
MedicalCompany rox!

I suggest you start out with the simplest one, and then if you want more later you'll know what to look for. Blogger or LiveJournal may be a better idea than running your own..
myrevolt
I like blogger. it has good features and if you are so inclined you can host it on your server (frihost or w/e you use) the major reason to host it on ur server rather than google's (google owns blogger) is so you can password protect it. but really there is no "right" blog tool, they are all pretty good and have different features. it's really what fits you. if you'd like further help deciding, just reply with some things/features you'd like and we can help Smile
budazz
myrevolt wrote:
I like blogger. it has good features and if you are so inclined you can host it on your server (frihost or w/e you use) the major reason to host it on ur server rather than google's (google owns blogger) is so you can password protect it. but really there is no "right" blog tool, they are all pretty good and have different features. it's really what fits you. if you'd like further help deciding, just reply with some things/features you'd like and we can help Smile

well it's not a blogger software..blogger is a remote hosted blogger...he wants to run the blog on his own..

hmmmm i suggest you use nucleus or wordpress...they are the best...(i think) lol..

nucleus is easy to customize Very Happy
jongoldsz
I also tried all of those before and I just thought I would do better if I type it by hand and create my own look. Also, making it by hand is more secure because the only way to edit it is via ftp.
gonzo
best how?
darrell
Nucleus is good. I have try it before and i like it. Easy to use
jveezy
For Blogger, the blog posts are on your own server. Only the software is remotely hosted. Google also owns Blogspot which remotely hosts both the posts and software and is designed to be similar to Livejournal and Xanga for users that don't have their own webspace.

I haven't found one piece of software that I can completely customize to fit into my site. Therefore, I prefer to just manually edit the pages myself. Of course that doesn't provide commenting but you can use Haloscan for that.
threezeroone
Try using Nucleus CMS. You can customize the skin, ban an IP, add/edit/delete comments and other fearures. You can also put some plug-ins to avoid Spam Comments. Very cool CMS that you'll surely love. (I think?!) Smile
blackant
I prefer wordpress. Wink
Think is quite user friendly and easy to use.

Most of my friends use it too.
GiLaD
blackant wrote:
I prefer wordpress. Wink
Think is quite user friendly and easy to use.

Most of my friends use it too.

I also like WordPress, its easy, lightweight & easy to manage.
I use WordPress for my blog.
cnnet
I like using wordpress
it works very well I think
EN-Archives
I use wordpress in my site.. well its my first blog software and i kinda like it.. the interface so simple yet so deep ..
kuad
I'm currently using Textpattern, although I'm a beginner to all of this.
budazz
well if you want to use a blog software that dont use mysql..

i suggest the textrider

here is the link

http://blog.robot.ir/mollasadra/textrider/

i use this blog software...5/5 Laughing
Helios
Bah.. too bad that you can't make users to create their own blogs..

that SUX!
budazz
Helios wrote:

that SUX!

have you read the features?...

it has an unlimited users...just read ok
Deji
I like wordpress, its simple to use.. has a lot of features and there are a lot of people who use it so its easy to find plug ins / support.

im using it for my site here (still wip)

http://www.littlegnomes.frihost.net

Very Happy
Balkanboy
Word press is no.1-has easy admin interface and lot of plugins to use. Some people use it to run whole sites not just blogs. Creating template for wordpress is creating whole site layout(you use genarate new page for other sections)
Indyan
I use b2.
b2 v1 is coming up soon.It is gonna feature some major improvements.b2 is very powerfull.
You can see it running at www.indyan.info
gonzo
gonzo wrote:
best how?

Like I told TexasAl:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/
Val
try: Dotclear, easy to install and use.
budazz
Val wrote:
try: Dotclear, easy to install and use.

havent heard about dotclear mybe i should look thst... Cool
gonzo
WordPress has so many great plugins especially:

http://unknowngenius.com/blog/wordpress/spam-karma/
Val
Also many plugins for Dotclear Wink
Helios
budazz wrote:
Helios wrote:

that SUX!

Dude, if course it has unlimited users..

But how to make those users open their own blogs?
(If I want my site to be a blog portal)

And what software should I use? B2Evo?
windval
hey
thank you for your sharing
budazz
Helios wrote:
budazz wrote:
Helios wrote:

that SUX!

Dude, if course it has unlimited users..

But how to make those users open their own blogs?
(If I want my site to be a blog portal)

And what software should I use? B2Evo?

ok fine...ill go for wordpress...much easy to use...if you want to use mysql...
Laughing hhmmmm i think this is your best choice many people use this blog software... i think Idea Rolling Eyes
Helios
Can ye answer my questions?

How can I configure the software so the users will be able to open their own blogs?

And in which software can I do that?
dan751
I have no favorite blog software, but the best, fastest, and cleanest blogware that I have used to date is WordPress.
afterglow
I personally love Cutenews, why? Because its EASIER to install and Its more efficient than other Blogging Software. Plus, other blogging softwares allow spammers. GRR Crying or Very sad
Vanilla
dan751 wrote:
I have no favorite blog software, but the best, fastest, and cleanest blogware that I have used to date is WordPress.

Totally agree with you. I have used Blogger, Blogspot, Cutenews and all blogging tool that you can imagine. There's no blogging tool better than wordpress. Although is difficult to install and configure, it's the most complete I have ever used. And you can install plugins and customize to make it fit your needs. The best part: Wordpress runs perfectly in Frihost servers! Cool
mOrpheuS
Moved from "General Chat" to "Website Software".
Indyan
Indyan wrote:
I use b2.
b2 v1 is coming up soon.It is gonna feature some major improvements.b2 is very powerfull.
You can see it running at www.indyan.info

I changed to wordpress a few months ago. b2evo was getting on my nerves. Wpress is definitely better than b2evo.

Wordpress is definitely not difficult to install and configure. It is as easy as it gets. Also the plugin system is great. In b2 you had to manually edit core files, and even then there was only so much you could do.
Karrde
Wordpress is my blog system of choice - its incredibly flexible and quite easy to develop for, if by some strange chance the functionality you're after isn't already available in plugin form. Once you get into the more complex areas of Wordpress it can become a bit difficult to use, but nowhere near as bad as some other blogging platforms.

For multi-blog systems, I recommend Lyceum - http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/ - which is a derivative of Wordpress.
nondormo
Has anyone tried b2evolution? It is a sister of Wordpress; both WP and B2Evo descend from b2.

B2Evolution can be downloaded from http://b2evolution.net. The best feature that I think it has is the multi-blog capacity. From one install you can have as many blogs as you want. This is great for community blogging. You can have your users update their own blogs but the frontpage incorporates all the latest blogs made. Then the skins are also good looking. One can easily port WordPress themes into B2Evolution.
parokya
nondormo wrote:
Has anyone tried b2evolution? It is a sister of Wordpress; both WP and B2Evo descend from b2.

I wanted to say the same thing, but I see you've beat me to it. I like B2Evo myself and have used it. However, my only misgivings about it is that remote blogging software like Qumana and BlogDesk don't support it. I guess that on this score, its sister WordPress has an advantage. There are a lot of desktop blogging software that support its API and is ranged with TypePad and SquareSpace on this score. Even Writely can be used to blog to WordPress.
jurisconsultando
I prefer a blog in blogger and to manage the posts with w.bloggar, is a software to write posts like ms word and change the template with a html editor. It's very easy to use.

www.blogger.com
http://wbloggar.com/
ftasyo
webapp wrote:
though i installed wordpress.....and started using..it i am not sure whther it is the best...

Any suggestions.....

Hey by the way check out my site at http://sejalpatel.com/wordpress/

If you have WordPress you have the best. It is the only free blogging application that is compatible with a lot of desktop blogging applications
nondormo
ftasyo wrote:

If you have WordPress you have the best. It is the only free blogging application that is compatible with a lot of desktop blogging applications

Not to mention the fact that it is the blogging software that has a lot of great designers working for it. I checked the skins for the newest stable release of B2Evolution and they all suck. Ditto to Nucleus. WordPress has the most active layout and theme making community.
sceptileex
wordpress is pretty cool in the sense that it is really customizable with lotsa plugins and themes, the community is pretty good and in general it is good with or without modifications. Askimet and the lot are really useful plugins.
Muffi
Vanilla wrote:
dan751 wrote:

Totally agree with you. I have used Blogger, Blogspot, Cutenews and all blogging tool that you can imagine. There's no blogging tool better than wordpress. Although is difficult to install and configure, it's the most complete I have ever used. And you can install plugins and customize to make it fit your needs. The best part: Wordpress runs perfectly in Frihost servers! Cool

i did use wordpress, and i recieve spam on daily basis, the more i block them. the more i recieve them Sad but about "Cutenews" its really nice Wink
Muffi
Vanilla wrote:
dan751 wrote:

wordpress wasnt so hard to install for me, but it costed me alot of SPAMMERS Sad

is that only me or did i miss something?
bangala
Muffi wrote:

wordpress wasnt so hard to install for me, but it costed me alot of SPAMMERS Sad

is that only me or did i miss something?

This is a good reason to start thinking about shifting to textpattern. It will definitely help you in stopping spam Smile
OutwardBound
I'd recommend you to use WordPress. WordPress is the fastest blogging software and a clean one. Also it is easy to install! The 2nd choice is Nucleus, it is also a good one! Very Happy
desertwind
Wordpress is the easiest one to manage.

Serependity is another quotable one.
benwhite
I was doing pretty with spam on WP for a while, but about a couple of months ago I started getting a ton. It's not a huge deal because I just chose the option to moderate comments and I can delete them all whenever I go in to approve a legit comment. Still, I hope the newer versions help stop the more obvious ways to comment spam.

I use blogger, and while it's not as flexible, it's actually been great about blocking malicious stuff.
billgertz
Just installed wordpress but Im still exploring it. anyway, this thread shows that most people uses wordpress. I can tell that its the easiest to manage.

Thanks.
loosu
though i have not used anything else , i went behind lot of people , and chose wordpress .
Its really serves purposes .
ehab
Akismet - a plugin to spammize all the spam : ) .. an Automatic production

URL : http://akismet.com/

My favourite : Wordpress .. been using it for a long time..
Alias
I prefer using WordPress. It's because it has a lot of features, easy to use and it looks simple and sleek. Smile
outofnicks
I tried WordPress, it was OK but I found some aspects of it to be counter-intuitive. Then I found Pivot which more suites my frame of thinking and that doesn't need a MySql database. It's much less complicated than other bloggers but sufficient for basic needs and I like how it looks.
http://www.pivotlog.net/

I use it to showcase my woodcrafts, a bit crude so far using the stock template:

http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/blog/pvt/index.php
lerian
I use wordpress on my blog. Many plugins and theme available for free.
prole
WordPress is SO neat. I feel so right with it in every way.

Blogger sucked and still sucks. Now, the new blogger [previously blogger beta] sucks even more EVER.
prole
afterglow wrote:
I personally love Cutenews, why? Because its EASIER to install and Its more efficient than other Blogging Software. Plus, other blogging softwares allow spammers. GRR Crying or Very sad

Same here. I love Cutenews. It's small and easy to install. Ooh well, I just love things small, cute, light, clean and clear...

It's my second choice now after blosxom. Blosxom is good though, but Cutenews is better!
donika_hell
WORDPRESS!!!
cloudship
I use wordpress and found it nicely fit to my expectation, which requires small effort to setup a site of my own.

The configuration is very simple and meanwhile powerful enough for me, and if you're interested in rewriting part of the code, you can just do it 'cause the structure of the files are well organized so that you can find immediately which part of code you want to revise.

So far works good for me. By the way, there're also a lot of plugins and themes for wordpress, which makes the software even more user-friendly to all kinds of users.

I think it's great.
outofnicks
afterglow wrote:

It's my second choice now after blosxom. Blosxom is good though, but Cutenews is better!

Another recommendation for CuteNews, you can include the output into ANY webpage.
Blosxom is alright too, I gave it a try and I like it's simplicity Smile
mrsliickz
Nucleus is good. I like that one. Easy to configure.
umairpk85
very good thanks 4 the share
XxlilikaxX
I use and always used wordpress. I find it more professional... Plugins is wonderful, you it finds of whom wants. Besides having a pretty interface, aconchegante HAHAH. But I have a giant curiosity in knowing b2evolution...
reactive
For a beginner Blogger is not a bad idea, since it's very simple and easy to modify, though once you get more experince with blogs using something more advanced(like Wordpress, boastMachine, NucleusCMS, Typo etc.) ain't a bad idea since you'd(probably) want more plugins/security/customization etc.
shankar
Wordpress is the best..

It has got all the Plugins you need.. And also many many themes which you can use to customize according to your needs....
A brief description of wordpress:
WordPress is a state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability. What a mouthful. WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
pyapplico
You should code your own blog in PHP. All you need to know is branching , file i/o, input/output, variables and arrays and you could code yourself a blogging system with simple posting, users (with passwords), commenting, bbcode, administration.
srujanlive
Wordpress is the best software i have used. It is easy to install and has a lot of very good themes. It is very customisable and has very good plugins.
loosu
my vote goes to word press ,
because ,

it is

elegant ,
user friendly,
has lot of themes to choose from ,
good for SEO,
has a way too many to list , number of plugins ,
can scale , into a complete CMS , by time using nice plugins[/list]
aggzzu
I like using blogger. It's easy to manage your posts online. Tought I think it would be better to just build it in your computter and upload it to your host, then there would be nome google-bar on the top or anything.. But that would be much more work..
loosu
The blog software , i am beginning to like now adays , is from this site .

www.modernlifeisrubbish.co.uk .

He has used custom , software and it rolls awesome .

So , i am waiting if he would release it to public domain .