FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What would happen if the worlds computers failed?

Shadowninja7194
If the all the computers in the world suddenly broke down..how much havoc do think would happen hypotheticly?
IMO i think it would just reap havoc like no other. stock market = kaboom, planes in the air dont know when or where to land. Everyone would be all " O noez!! ahh! " Stuff like that.
pll
That would be the end of the world I think...

But I can't imagine the time when there was no computers around humans. How come those machines are so important in our lives today ?

50 years ago this wasn't so important.
ocalhoun
The stock market would indeed simply cease to exist... but planes wouldn't fall out of the air (except for computer-controlled ones).

Air traffic control centers have procedures in place to cover catastrophic equipment failure. Those procedures aren't as efficient, but they do work.
natilovesmike
People will probably be set free!!!! go out in the streets, the parks...it could be a lot of fun!
Insanity
Then I'll have to waste my time on some other activity than surfing the web and procrastinating.
Bluedoll
Man would invent wooden wheels with cogs in them to do complex computations. Computer companies would emerge in places like rain forests with very large buildings to house the huge machines and there would be public outcry. Quiet possiblily there would a very large corporation called Tree Cutters Software, who's main product would be sim's games.
deanhills
I would be very unhappy as I would miss Frihost. I will also miss working on my computers. One good thing would probably be that my eyes would get a much-needed rest. I would probably get more sleep as well.
Nick2008
If the world's computers failed, then many things would happen. Remember a computer is a "programmable machine that receives input, stores and manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format." It doesn't have to be your desktop/laptop, it can be really small computers as well. Some do not realize our dependency on computers, here's some examples:

Desktops/Laptops would stop working
    Cellphones would stop working
    Traffic Lights would stop working
    Many vehicle safety features would cease to work
    Hospitals would become devastated without computer monitoring of patients
    Satellites would risk going out of orbit without computer monitoring
    We wouldn't be able to have accurate weather forecasts
    All commercial aircraft will have to land visually without computer guidance
    GPS wouldn't work
    Digitial cameras would not work
    Calculators would not work

In all out reality, if the world's computers stopped working, it would be devastating since we have become so dependent on them.
standready
So many things depend on "computer control" these days I think total kaos would hapeen. Besides the things noted in the above reply, Power generation in many areas would stop and cascade across the rest of the grid. Even the heating/cooling unit in my home is "computer controlled".

@ ocalhoun: True, Air traffic control would be OK but many of the planes in the air use computers controlled inputs.
Shadowninja7194
Bluedoll wrote:
Man would invent wooden wheels with cogs in them to do complex computations. Computer companies would emerge in places like rain forests with very large buildings to house the huge machines and there would be public outcry. Quiet possiblily there would a very large corporation called Tree Cutters Software, who's main product would be sim's games.

lol duh. should have thought we would end up doing that lol.
Xanify
We would live in a world with genetically engineered bike messengers working under a guy named Normal.

[/obscure tv joke]
speeDemon
well, dont worry... we'll come up with some other techniques within a decade!
deanhills
speeDemon wrote:
well, dont worry... we'll come up with some other techniques within a decade!
Good point, maybe even shorter than that. Who knows, maybe they are already working on alternatives to computers and waiting for just that moment to get in. Smile
Jinx
Xanify wrote:
We would live in a world with genetically engineered bike messengers working under a guy named Normal.

[/obscure tv joke]

I actually got that joke.

There's a series of books that I love called the Emberverse series by SM Sterling. In the first book, called Dies the Fire, all technology stops working to the point that gunpowder and dynamite won't even explode anymore. The series never explains why it stops working ("Blame it on alien space bats.") because the characters don't know, but it develops a pretty interesting picture of what would happen to our society. Food deliveries to the cities stop, and millions of people starve.

Now, if we only lost computers, I imagine there would be a bit of a die-off (mostly folks who depend on computer controlled life support) and perhaps some disruption of supply and communications - a period of chaos as we adjusted - but nowhere near as bad - we would still have older cars, steam power, old-fashioned human operated switchboard telephones. We'd just be thrust back to life as it was in the late 60's.

Perhaps One Second After by William R. Forschten would be a better illustration of this scenario. It's the story of what happens in one small town after a number of EMP bursts (from high altitude nuclear blasts) knocks out all electronics on the North American continent.

Booklist wrote:

In a Norman Rockwell town in North Carolina, where residents rarely lock homes, retired army colonel John Matherson teaches college, raises two daughters, and grieves the loss of his wife to cancer. When phones die and cars inexplicably stall, Grandma’s pre-computerized Edsel takes readers to a stunning scene on the car-littered interstate, on which 500 stranded strangers, some with guns, awaken John’s New Jersey street-smart instincts to get the family home and load the shotgun. Next morning, some townspeople realize that an electromagnetic pulse weapon has destroyed America’s power grid, and they proceed to set survival priorities. John’s list includes insulin for his type-one diabetic 12-year-old, candy bars, and sacks of ice. Deaths start with heart attacks and eventually escalate alarmingly. Food becomes scarce, and societal breakdown proceeds with inevitable violence; towns burn, and ex-servicemen recall “Korea in ’51” as military action by unlikely people becomes the norm in Forstchen’s sad, riveting cautionary tale, the premise of which Newt Gingrich’s foreword says is completely possible. --Whitney Scott

We depend so much on our technology, and anyone born after 1980 or so is so used to having technology as part of their lives, that we are in danger of forgetting how to live without it. But it could be taken away from us so easily by an EM Pulse, or by war, or by simply running ourselves out of resources.
Shadowninja7194
Jinx wrote:
Xanify wrote:

[/obscure tv joke]

I actually got that joke.

There's a series of books that I love called the Emberverse series by SM Sterling. In the first book, called Dies the Fire, all technology stops working to the point that gunpowder and dynamite won't even explode anymore. The series never explains why it stops working ("Blame it on alien space bats.") because the characters don't know, but it develops a pretty interesting picture of what would happen to our society. Food deliveries to the cities stop, and millions of people starve.

Now, if we only lost computers, I imagine there would be a bit of a die-off (mostly folks who depend on computer controlled life support) and perhaps some disruption of supply and communications - a period of chaos as we adjusted - but nowhere near as bad - we would still have older cars, steam power, old-fashioned human operated switchboard telephones. We'd just be thrust back to life as it was in the late 60's.

Perhaps One Second After by William R. Forschten would be a better illustration of this scenario. It's the story of what happens in one small town after a number of EMP bursts (from high altitude nuclear blasts) knocks out all electronics on the North American continent.

Booklist wrote:

In a Norman Rockwell town in North Carolina, where residents rarely lock homes, retired army colonel John Matherson teaches college, raises two daughters, and grieves the loss of his wife to cancer. When phones die and cars inexplicably stall, Grandma’s pre-computerized Edsel takes readers to a stunning scene on the car-littered interstate, on which 500 stranded strangers, some with guns, awaken John’s New Jersey street-smart instincts to get the family home and load the shotgun. Next morning, some townspeople realize that an electromagnetic pulse weapon has destroyed America’s power grid, and they proceed to set survival priorities. John’s list includes insulin for his type-one diabetic 12-year-old, candy bars, and sacks of ice. Deaths start with heart attacks and eventually escalate alarmingly. Food becomes scarce, and societal breakdown proceeds with inevitable violence; towns burn, and ex-servicemen recall “Korea in ’51” as military action by unlikely people becomes the norm in Forstchen’s sad, riveting cautionary tale, the premise of which Newt Gingrich’s foreword says is completely possible. --Whitney Scott

We depend so much on our technology, and anyone born after 1980 or so is so used to having technology as part of their lives, that we are in danger of forgetting how to live without it. But it could be taken away from us so easily by an EM Pulse, or by war, or by simply running ourselves out of resources.

Great answer man. and exactly, one emp pulse and boom. there goes our computers. I hope people realize how much we depend on computers for our modern day survival
ankitdatashn
What I think is that first all the networking would fail, that is, all the telephones including landlines, mobiles and fax machines because of which internet also could not be used(even though if they work then computers to use them are already broken down!)

As many people said the stock market will also definitely crash up, the electronic media and daily serials would also fail coz the satellites would also fail.

At last the humanity would also end up coz failure of computers which control nuclear warheads may prove fatal and launch nuclear missiles like peeing up on grass! Wink
ocalhoun
ankitdatashn wrote:

At last the humanity would also end up coz failure of computers which control nuclear warheads may prove fatal and launch nuclear missiles like peeing up on grass! Wink

The storage of nuclear missiles is all about safety... It would take a LOT more than just computer failure to accidentally launch them.
The loss of computers would probably prevent them from launching, but it couldn't possibly cause a launch.

In the height of the cold war, it might have happened that way- there were likely orders on file that a loss of communication for a given time meant the worst- and that they should launch if communications failed.
They're no longer at such a tense state though, so I don't think they would try to launch just because communications failed... Also, all communications might not fail- they might still stay in contact using the older radios. They're still electronic, but they certainly couldn't be called computers.
apple
we'd die for sure.

even if we survived the nuclear stuff. no internet would kill the rest. Embarassed
Shadowninja7194
Lol, true. No internet = "O Noez!!!"
apple
Shadowninja7194 wrote:
Lol, true. No internet = "O Noez!!!"

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
Bluedoll
We have no computers! I understand that one problem among many would be nuclear waste facilities. They need cooling or they will emit radioactive waste into the atmosphere. If the electric grid failed completely for long periods then the backup resorts to diesel generation but if they are unable to fill the tanks due to a chain reaction of complete systems malfunctions everywhere because of computer failures then that is a really big concern.

But look is it a plane? No, it is super girl. She is faster than a speeding bullet to the rescue with an answer to the problem.

Make 57 Chevy’s, turntables, steam trains and men that actually go to work for the power company. It may not be utopia but it worked before computers.
Shadowninja7194
Ya but the transition from a super awsome technology era to a post awsome technology era would be very dramatic to many people. And then some people would be all " Teh Goverment did it!" and be all anarachy'ish.
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
The stock market would indeed simply cease to exist... but planes wouldn't fall out of the air (except for computer-controlled ones).

Aren't all modern passenger planes pretty much completely computer-controlled? Of course with several independent computers in case one would fail. But of course if all computers would fail, this wouldn't help.

What most people also don't realize is that computers are pretty much present in everything nowadays. Not just digital watches, but also washing machines, cars, magnetrons, ... If all of those would fail, the problem would not only be to make an alternative, but simply that everything needs an alternative, including most tools/factories making those alternatives.
soljarag
That would be bad... mass chaos everywhere, bank accounts gone, gold prices would skyrocket....

I once read something about if this one metior passed close to the earth it would erase every hard drive... lets hope that never happends/.......
Bluedoll
I have a question, how long do you think it would take or how possible do you think it is to go back to an old reliable proven system right now?

To clarify the question a bit and put it in a present day real predicament. Let’s assume next Friday the internet goes astray really big time with the big servers and routers crashing all over the world and nothing seems to work like it used to.

Do you think some people would say I’m staying online by hooking up my PC to an old news board – shoot they were called??? Relay or something, basically like a e-mail share thing? Sorry, forget what that simple system was called now but do you think it would be possible and people could do it?

________________________________________________________________________________

Sad worried and scared now!
speeDemon
if there wont be any computers then we wont be able to use frihost anymore!!! Razz Very Happy
chatrack
If the computers dont work anymore, the same reason can affect the
communication system first. Some people can not trade just becouse
they can not do it with out a calculator.
But this is just an immagination, I cant happen in any way.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Aren't all modern passenger planes pretty much completely computer-controlled? Of course with several independent computers in case one would fail. But of course if all computers would fail, this wouldn't help.

The older jetliners still use analog fly-by-wire systems; electronic, yes, but not computers.
Most of the smaller/less expensive private planes would still work properly as well.
Quote:

What most people also don't realize is that computers are pretty much present in everything nowadays. Not just digital watches, but also washing machines, cars, magnetrons, ... If all of those would fail, the problem would not only be to make an alternative, but simply that everything needs an alternative, including most tools/factories making those alternatives.

But, the non-computerized ones would still be around, many ready to be used. My old '74 truck, for example, has only the most rudimentary electronics. Even my washing machine, though relatively new, is just a physical timer that connects various electrical contacts as it turns, hardly a computer... Or would abacuses fail as well?
Bluedoll
ocalhoun said; . . . "My old '74 truck, for example, has only the most rudimentary electronics. Even my washing machine, though relatively new, is just a physical timer that connects various electrical contacts as it turns, hardly a computer... Or would abacuses fail as well?"

A 70 what? What is a 7 4 truck? Laughing

seriously - - yeah thats very true and maybe a good thing too.

Maybe, except for the old dye hard's (sounds like ole movie - remember when they made non-animated movies?) in the near future computerized machines will perhaps predominate even as washing machines? It is possible, I suppose.
metalfreek
One short answer would be "STONE AGE"
goutha
First, I'll become crazy, because I'll loose my computer.

Second, I think that it's going to be a desaster in the first months, but humans will discover again that they can live without those machines, and maybe that life is better that way.

But the probability that it happens is not so high as the world network is huge and diverse.
ocalhoun
metalfreek wrote:

Stone age? Hardly.
We'd be kicked from the information age back to the space age... Not that big of a deal.
Greatking
life will still go on. we would definately or probably invent something else to satisfy our needs, but i know we will survive.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

Stone age? Hardly.
We'd be kicked from the information age back to the space age... Not that big of a deal.
Agreed. We may even go an extra leap in much better technology than computers. We would still be moving forwards.
EdCarlo
lolz .. maybe all company will blown their mind .. because company database are in the computer.
coreymanshack
Maybe then we would all communicate with our minds and control objects with our minds as an alternative to computer control.
jabce85
... an iceage. ha, no but seriously the developed world would definitely have some major issues.
Shadowninja7194
lol..time to invent telepathy. ( the thing to communicate through our minds)
But if all computer failed..would a country or some group be all like "its the end of the world" and go around killing people? or invade a diffrent country to take advantage of the chaos?
deanhills
coreymanshack wrote:
Maybe then we would all communicate with our minds and control objects with our minds as an alternative to computer control.
I've always wanted to do that Smile Just imagine having no drafts when we are preparing written reports, and we are communicating raw data directly from one mind to another. Now that would be interesting. Maybe with that our minds could be trained to think perfect thoughts right off the bat, without having to go to draft first.
bensrevenge
i think if this happened people would be using diffrent kindes of tech to make it more computer like as you can
eday2010
Most havoc would be because some people are so dependent on computes and stupid gadgets that they would panic. I don't think I would care much. I would sit back ad watch the Chaos, laughing at all the idiots who put so much importance on on computers in their lives, and catch up on my reading.
Shadowninja7194
Very Happy id be the one at your front door goin " O NOEZ!! frihost! itz gone!! aghh!"

roflcopter..
ProwerBot
speeDemon wrote:
if there wont be any computers then we wont be able to use frihost anymore!!! Razz Very Happy

And THAT is why the world would collapse.
Shadowninja7194
Cool
goutha
ProwerBot wrote:
speeDemon wrote:

And THAT is why the world would collapse.

I didn't thought about that, but 100% agree with you!

I hope that I'll never see this day!!! Smile
taytay
Bluedoll wrote:
A 70 what? What is a 7 4 truck? Laughing

" '74 " is an abbreviation for '1974'
Shadowninja7194
it could be a 2074 truck..you never know:D
ocalhoun
Shadowninja7194 wrote:
it could be a 2074 truck..you never know:D

Rolling Eyes
Yes, I'm a time traveler from the year 2116... I brought my old 2074 truck because all the vehicles produced after 2082 are incompatible with your primitive fossil fuels.
Shadowninja7194
Shocked A time traveler?? *le gasp*
carlospro7
I agree it would probably be a disaster all around.