FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sort by function?

Denvis
I'm unsure if this already exists but it would be nice if it doesn't already. Sort by function in the topics, sort by date, title (A-Z/Z-A), author (A-Z/Z-A), post (0 - 10/10 - 0), views (0 - 10/10 - 0) etc.
Peterssidan
Sounds like you want the old search page: http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php
It can sort by time, subject, title, author, forum. But not by the number of posts/views.

I think it was replaced because it took too much resources.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Sounds like you want the old search page: http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php
It can sort by time, subject, title, author, forum. But not by the number of posts/views.

I think it was replaced because it took too much resources.
Great link thanks Peterssidan. Was not aware that it existed. Perhaps a next suggestion could be to put the link up in a prominent spot, ie. in the top right corner under the Search Box, if it is not already available somewhere that I am unaware off.
Ghost Rider103
That old search is useless, I don't believe it works anymore.

It was disabled a while back because it took up too much resources, like Peterssidan mentioned.

I don't think it'll ever be put back sense it had originally worked, we just replaced it with a version that was a bit more simple to cut down on resources.
Peterssidan
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Yes you are right. I didn't test. It always responds with "No topics or posts met your search criteria".
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

It was disabled a while back because it took up too much resources, like Peterssidan mentioned.

I don't think it'll ever be put back sense it had originally worked, we just replaced it with a version that was a bit more simple to cut down on resources.
Thanks Ghostrider, it probably makes sense that it would take up too much resources. There probably would not be all that many people using it anyway, so may not be justified.
Denvis
Maybe combining a sort function with the column title opposed to it being a on the right hand corner of the browser.

USER clicks title (replies, views, topics, author)
SORT (0 1) 0 being ascending 1 being descending
PAGEREFRESH

I think it would be a good idea, it may re-open old topics instead of new topics of the same, reposted. Or maybe even have a limit of how many posts can be sorted if it's taking up too much resources. Maybe an inbuild function within the function that only sort topics 2009+ (2010) or sort topics 2010+ (2011) etc. Keeping the older posts which aren't sorted in a temp db.

I don't know, maybe.
Bondings
I think it would be possible to include most of those options in the new search.

The old search was removed because it took too much resources during the posting of new messages. Searching was also taking quite some time, but that wasn't a big problem. The new search was made simpler because in most cases all the advanced options aren't needed. And of course also because that meant less work to do. Wink

If I find some time, I'll try to incorporate a few more options on the search page.
gverutes
I agree with the sentiment of this suggestion.