FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apple Sues HTC For Stolen Technology

Nick2008
Quote:

Apple today filed a lawsuit against mobile devices maker HTC. The suit claims infringement of 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture, and hardware.

Quote:

Apple is already tied up in a patent lawsuit with Nokia, claiming Nokia is stealing Apple technology. Nokia says Apple is stealing its technology. Kodak is also suing Apple claiming technology theft.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/apple-sues-htc-for-stealing-iphone-technology-432861.html?tickers=AAPL,NOK,EK,T,XLK,QQQQ

Talk about greediness, these guys are beating the iphone to death, now no one is allowed to make a phone that is thin, has multi-touch screen, with icons as a user interface without "violating" their patents.
weableandbob
I've never liked apple. Most of their products are just overpriced, shinier versions of current products. The macs in particular are way too expensive for what you get.
mOrpheuS
Nick2008 wrote:
Talk about greediness, these guys are beating the iphone to death, now no one is allowed to make a phone that is thin, has multi-touch screen, with icons as a user interface without "violating" their patents.

No kidding, just take a look at some of the patents they hold - http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-not-going-after-htc-over-multitouch-2010-3

Quote:
- Touch Screen Device, Method, And Graphical User Interface For Determining Commands By Applying Heuristics
- Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image
- List Scrolling And Document Translation, Scaling, And Rotation On A Touch-Screen Display
- Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor

You can't really blame them, though. They are, afterall, playing by the rules.
Allowing someone to patent the most obvious/generic/common-sense things is the root cause here.

Take a look at this or this !
william
I think it's crazy. Apple is running out of ideas, competition is beyond them, and their latest product announcement was mediocre. Thus, they decide to, now, attack a competitor with patent lawsuits. At least one of those patents were just filed a few weeks ago, well after other companies had it. I know the patent system had good intentions, but it's just destroying creativity and causing greedy companies to target others.

Apple is targetting HTC, and this includes their Windows Mobile phones, but we all know they're really after Android. The tensions between Google and Apple have been increasing, and this event seems like the beginning of a war. But frankly, I don't think this will benefit Apple at all. Have they not learned from history?
pll
william wrote:
but it's just destroying creativity and causing greedy

I don't think so. Those patent filings creates competition between companies and they need to force themselves to create something new. In a way it HELPS creativity (in my sense).

william wrote:
The tensions between Google and Apple have been increasing, and this event seems like the beginning of a war. But frankly, I don't think this will benefit Apple at all. Have they not learned from history?

I completely agree with this part. They can't lose their partnerships with Google (with the maps and everything). They should continue to competition windows mobile though, but not google.
And no, it seems that they haven't learned from the past they still continue to be agressive.
Which is not a so good point in my opinion. Wink
william
pll wrote:
william wrote:

I don't think so. Those patent filings creates competition between companies and they need to force themselves to create something new. In a way it HELPS creativity (in my sense).

Yes, but for example, creating a patent on the ability to unlock a device using a touch screen gesture. That's a pretty generic patent, and if only one company is allowed to use it, then nobody else can build upon it. It just destroys paths for other companies, and allows the one that patented it to sit back and do nothing. I'm not sure what else you'd want to do to unlock a touch screen device. There certainly are other ways, but a gesture is simple and intuitive. Plus, Apple wasn't even the first.
ProwerBot
Apple needs to frick off of HTC for using good features on their phones that barely even resemble the iPhone. I mean multi-touch? Yes, iPhone does it wonderfully. But since I have Verizon and not AT&T, does that mean that I have to put up with those retarded sherlock-holmes magnifying glasses and double tapping? No, I'll take a Droid or something WITH multi-touch, thank you very much.
menino
What about the nexus one google phone?
I believe it has the OS based on Linux, but has multitouch as well.

I think Apple is tryign to dominate the market with the iPhone, and its "iProducts", so it tries to sue everyone else.
Its kind of taking the same moves as Microsoft did, I think.
william
The Google Nexus One is made by HTC, so yeah, I'm pretty sure this includes it. It runs Android OS, which we all know is what Apple is really after.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm hearing rumors that Apple might be going after Palm next. Question
aningbo
Quote:
I think it's crazy. Apple is running out of ideas, competition is beyond them, and their latest product announcement was mediocre. Thus, they decide to, now, attack a competitor with patent lawsuits. At least one of those patents were just filed a few weeks ago, well after other companies had it. I know the patent system had good intentions, but it's just destroying creativity and causing greedy companies to target others.

Apple is targetting HTC, and this includes their Windows Mobile phones, but we all know they're really after Android. The tensions between Google and Apple have been increasing, and this event seems like the beginning of a war. But frankly, I don't think this will benefit Apple at all. Have they not learned from history?

apple running our of ideas... i somehow feel the other mobiles were copying apple's ideas. true, i don't like the ipad. it doesn't fit it. apple's iphone is a game changer and they have the rights to keep certain patents to themselves.

if u have done something different that no other has and someone's copying your work and mocking u at the same time, you would feel the same.
william
The iPhone is only a game changer in that it made these things popular. In actuality, much of the iPhone's "ideas" were available on many previous phones from LG, Sony Ericcson, Palm, and Samsung. The only forward thinking things they brought to the table were the snazzy GUI and multitouch on a cell phone. And consider this, some of the patents they've filed are vague, simply blocking off everyone else from making new things that Apple doesn't even have. Apple simply can't handle the fact that other companies have immensely superior devices, and that their limited thinking prevents them from coming up with proper ways to beat them. Just think what would have happened if Apple won exclusive rights on the GUI. (Which wasn't even their idea).
DeltaM
As said before the pantents are getting out of controll I belive I mean... wtf taking a pantent for unlocking a phone via the touch screen, that's sick how can u make a patent on something so.. wide. That's realy just asking for trouble and a dumb way to be able to sue other companies for using their stupid patent...

Apple are realy loosing it and trying to sue everybody to gain access to all other companies "real" patents on stuff that realy matters.
snowboardalliance
pll wrote:
william wrote:

The problem with that logic, is that you assume there is always a better way to do something. Let's say I "patented" (in a hypothetical sense) the use of a pen with your hands. Now you have to get "creative" to use a pen. Is this the kind of creativity we want? Sounds more like crippling other companies.

Anyway, I think patent law is really messed up. It's far too easy to patent obvious things (even though a rule for patents is that they must not be obvious). Not only that but I've read about patents for free energy machines and perpetual motion machines, things that are impossible. The system is broken IMO
mahirharoon
this is terribly unfair monopoly and at the other side , the patent system is almost fully flawed , its like , if patenting a specific brand's chocolate will forbid others to make chocolate , htc did only use the multitouch technology but not in the way that was shown in the patent and i wonder that why on earth is only htc sued there are billions of billions of other mobile manafacturers that make it. BTW , apple did never invent multitouch and ofcourse apple will be dead with billions of billions of patents they infringe an example is folders , originally patented by microsoft apple is geting more crazier day-by day
i apologize if any information is wrong
well , according to http://www.osnews.com/story/23089/Apple_Slapped_with_Multitouch_Patent_Lawsuit ,
Quote:
The company in question is Taiwanese chipmaker Elan Microelectronics, and they are suing Apple over patent no. 5,825,352, filed in February 1996, and granted in October 1998. The patent calls for a "method and apparatus for detecting an operative coupling between one or more fingers or other appropriate objects and a touch pad includes processes for detection of multiple maxima with intermediate minima in appropriate sequences to emulate the operations of cursor control and button actuations in a pointing and control device".
weableandbob
Looks like it's time for Google to find a new manufacturer.
mahirharoon
weableandbob wrote:
Looks like it's time for Google to find a new manufacturer.

but the problem is , even if google appoints another copration of manafacturing their phones , apple will not leave them , they will somehow manage to bribe and acquire invalid patents
william
HTC isn't going anywhere. Patent disputes like this constantly happen, no large company goes down except in rare cases.

Oh, by the way, it seems HTC has just sued Apple for patent infringement as a counterattack. Rolling Eyes
misterXY
l smell Apple's scared.... Andriod OS is now in 2nd place... LOL@Apple