FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chile Earthquake may have changed the Earth

Nick2008
Quote:

The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

Quote:

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth

Also, the earthquake may have shifted the Earth's axis by 3 inches. This means the whole rotation of the Earth also changed.

This proves that an earthquake doesn't just affect a certain area, it can affect the whole world. This one is no exception.
Jinx
Wow! That's just... mind-blowing. I had no idea that earthquakes could affect the whole planet to such an extent. I mean, 1.26 milliseconds isn't much, but still...
gverutes
I've also heard that building man-made dams can affect the earth's rotation...
http://www.arch.mcgill.ca/prof/sijpkes/arch374/winter2001/dbiggs/enviro.html

"Because of the number of dams which have been built, the Earth's daily rotation has apparently sped up by eight-millionths of a second since the 1950s."
Indi
gverutes wrote:
"Because of the number of dams which have been built, the Earth's daily rotation has apparently sped up by eight-millionths of a second since the 1950s."

Are you sure it's sped up and not slowed down?