FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Former New Orleans Cop Pleads Guilty In Katrina Cover-Up

handfleisch
For those who have forgotten, during the Katrina/FEMA disaster, New Orleans police shot six African Americans, killing two of them, in an incident on a bridge. Police said the shot people were armed, and a gun was found by the dead bodies. The whole thing was used by racist yahoos to shout about blacks shooting at police in the aftermath of the disaster.

As usual, the truth comes out years later, after a lot of people have had lies and propaganda confirm their prejudices, after the incident has been used to inflame racial divisions. A New Orleans police officer has now admitted that he organized a total cover-up and falsification of the event, planting the gun on the scene, that the people shot were unarmed, and the cover-up was so involved that they even wrote fake witness reports to support their side of the story.

Quote:
Former New Orleans Cop Pleads Guilty In Katrina Cover-Up Scandal

New Orleans, LA, United States (AHN) - A former New Orleans police officer pleaded guilty Wednesday to knowingly falsifying facts and covering up a fatal shooting involving police in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Retired Lt. Michael Lohman, 42, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court. His plea is part of a federal investigation into numerous police shootings in 2005 during the hectic and desperate days following Hurricane Katrina, according to reports. Lohman could spend up to five years in prison. His sentencing is scheduled for May 26.

In total, seven officers were charged with murder or attempted murder in the shootings, which occurred Sept. 4, 2005, almost one week after the deadly storm ravaged the city and other parts of the South.

The charges were later dropped, reports stated.

According to reports, the shooting occurred as local police and other law enforcement officers accosted six people crossing the Danziger Bridge. Officers opened fire on the group and in the process killed 40-year-old Ronald Madison, a mentally challenged individual, and 19-year-old James Brissette. However, reported witness accounts said the officers fired at unarmed persons.

Federal documents stated that Lohman arrived on the scene after the shooting and encouraged officers to falsify reports to indicate the individuals opened fire on officers first. He reportedly also gave them permission to plant a firearm at the scene of the crime.

According to federal authorities, more pleas and convictions could follow with further investigations.

Read more: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017927554#ixzz0h1smw9JK
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017927554

more here http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/us/25orleans.html
Quote:

Lieutenant Lohman, 42 and now retired, concluded shortly after arriving on the scene that the shooting was “legally unjustified,” federal authorities said. He encouraged the officers to “come up with a plausible story” that would allow him to conclude that the shooting was justified, the authorities said.

When another police investigator told Lieutenant Lohman that he was going to plant a gun under the bridge to bolster the story that the officers were being fired at, Lieutenant Lohman went along, and even asked if the gun was traceable, the authorities said.

At the encouragement of Lieutenant Lohman, the officers who were involved made up details, the authorities said, like a claim that one victim had reached for a “shiny object” in his waistband.

At one point, according to the documents, Mr. Lohman was frustrated that the cover-up story in the report, which was drafted by a police sergeant, “was not logical,” so he drew up one of his own, which broadly changed details to fit the false story. The sergeant later replaced that report with a shorter one that was changed to fit the audiotaped statements of the police who were involved.

ocalhoun
But why did it happen to begin with? Surely the cops weren't strolling around shooting black people for the fun of it...

handfleisch wrote:
Quote:

At the encouragement of Lieutenant Lohman, the officers who were involved made up details, the authorities said, like a claim that one victim had reached for a “shiny object” in his waistband.

Was this, perhaps, the real reason the shooting happened to begin with?
A nervous cop might well do such a thing...
handfleisch
ocalhoun wrote:
But why did it happen to begin with? Surely the cops weren't strolling around shooting black people for the fun of it...

handfleisch wrote:
Quote:

Was this, perhaps, the real reason the shooting happened to begin with?
A nervous cop might well do such a thing...

Read more carefully. It says the cops fabricated the detail about a victim reaching in his waistband for a shiny object, to cover up their deed. So it's not a "real reason" for anything.
deanhills
What happened was obviously seriously wrong, but I can only imagine that much worse had happened along the lines of lawlessness just after Katrina struck. There must have been complete chaos and mayhem with very little law and order. Emotions had been stretched way past their limits. People thought they would not make it, and were living their last hours to their fullest. But probably since Police had been involved in your example, and it was something of race, this must have made it much worse.
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:

Read more carefully. It says the cops fabricated the detail about a victim reaching in his waistband for a shiny object, to cover up their deed. So it's not a "real reason" for anything.

They could have fabricated that detail, yes, but I'm looking for the reason why this happened...
There must be a reason, even if it is a bad one.
My theory at the moment is that a nervous, perhaps overly trigger-happy, cop saw one of them reaching for something - weather it be 'a shiny object in the waistband' or not, and overreacted.

A cop who shoots black people for fun is a possible reason, but I don't think it's very likely. What's really the reason?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
My theory at the moment is that a nervous, perhaps overly trigger-happy, cop saw one of them reaching for something - weather it be 'a shiny object in the waistband' or not, and overreacted.

A cop who shoots black people for fun is a possible reason, but I don't think it's very likely. What's really the reason?
Your theory sounds very plausible to me as emotions must have run very high when all the people were looting and there had been chaos everywhere. I was reading an article earlier on the aftermath of the Earthquake in Chile and how emergency law had to be applied to give the military complete power to handle the mayhem. I get the picture that everything was completely nervous and surreal (Time Magazine).
coolclay
I concur, all of the articles speak about how the story was fabricated but none mention what the officer claims actually happened. There must be at least a little truth somewhere.

My guess (very similar to Ocalhoun) is that they threatened the officers, maybe argued etc, or something and pissed them off, or made them uneasy. I also don't believe they would just find some innocent black bystanders and shoot them.

Whether or not it was just cause I won't try to extrapolate but there must have been some reason, or trigger.