FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Prospecting/Rock hounding

downntheholler
Anyone here doing this?
I spent some time in Az. on Lynx Creek camping near the Old Ghost Town of Walker...doing some panning and found a some nice gold. Also met some great folks while there.
ocalhoun
Well, while off-trail hiking like I often do, I sometimes find interesting rocks/crystals and have found fossils at times... But I don't go out for that reason.
jwellsy
I've been watching the GPAA gold prospecting shows on TV for about 5 years now. I like the idea of using a metal detector to find the stuff bigger than dust. I'd like to get an Eric Foster and a Gold Bug II detectors .
downntheholler
I did try the metal detector but must say not for long....I found some really nice pickers, and some fines, just digging and panning in Arizona along Lynnx Creek.
I do think that if I put more effort into using my metal detector I might do very well...I am living in Arkansas now and do go to the Diamond mines in Murfreesboro Ar. but so far no luck...but makes for a great day of mud and in the sun fun!

I also like to take a small stone with me on travels and drop it along the way....trade it for another to bring back.
jwellsy
I would love to go to that Diamond State Park. I would like to go right after a rain and during low light conditions. I'd walk the field with a UV flashlight and see if I could get any diamonds to fluoresce. I picked up one of these off fleabay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/51-UV-395-nm-Ultra-Violet-LED-Blacklight-Flashlight-AA_W0QQitemZ220563898374QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Flashlights?hash=item335aa20006
It's bright enough to use as a regular flashlight. But, when it hits a target they really pop out at you.

I've found an area about 2 hours north of me on maps that looks like it may be a kimber pipe that I want to go look for diamonds in.
downntheholler
jwellsy wrote:
I would love to go to that Diamond State Park. I would like to go right after a rain and during low light conditions. I'd walk the field with a UV flashlight and see if I could get any diamonds to fluoresce. I picked up one of these off fleabay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/51-UV-395-nm-Ultra-Violet-LED-Blacklight-Flashlight-AA_W0QQitemZ220563898374QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Flashlights?hash=item335aa20006
It's bright enough to use as a regular flashlight. But, when it hits a target they really pop out at you.

I've found an area about 2 hours north of me on maps that looks like it may be a kimber pipe that I want to go look for diamonds in.

The park here will not allow for lights to luminate the diamonds....I do know that some other states do have diamonds as well as other gems.
Good luck on your hunt...and if its not to far of a drive stop by the park and enjoy!
ShayneThill
jwellsy wrote:
I've been watching the GPAA gold prospecting shows on TV for about 5 years now. I like the idea of using a metal detector to find the stuff bigger than dust. I'd like to get an Eric Foster and a Gold Bug II detectors .

You can watch the discovery channel. There are many metal detecting shows.
fuzzkaizer
recently a guy told me about his adventure, being invited by some friends of his to a camp in swizerland and getting a tutorial in panning gold in a river... he found some tiny pieces though, but the one who really cashed was the host of the tutorial, because it was quite expensive...
drjim
i haven't gone hunting for gold, nor done proper research on the topic. but it's definitely something i have added to my bucket list. i'd like to get into mining for gold \ panning for it at some point in time in my life. hopefully strike rich! if not, it's the experience that counts. and i'm all down for that. Smile

anyone have any knowledge or resources about decent quality places to mine\pan for gold?