FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the best free antivirus software for MacOs X?

Kashinilaya
A few months ago I read an article stating that it is known that three malware programs managed to get installed in Macs.

I don't know about that story that there's no serious virus threats for Mac, but my kids computer, running MacOS Leopard, is behaving funny. One of their accounts simply disapeared. I tried to recreate it, but it doesn't show up. And they are complaining about it is being slower than it used to be.

I beleive that phishing also attacs Mac computers, but it's impossible to control every site my kids will click on. They have school research to do and I can't block search sites (like Google) and can't possibly know all the risky sites around.

I know a few paid antivirus, but would like to try out a good free one, if available.
Diablosblizz
Heh, and most people say Macs are more protected than Windows. Hah. Anyways, I'm no Mac person (in fact I'd kill Steve Jobs if I could) but if you're children are using Firefox there are many of ways to block advertisements and Firefox automatically helps with phishing attempts. To block advertisements, give AdBlock Plus! a try, it's a great addon and blocks mostly every ad there is out there.
selim06
iAntivirus is a free and quick one, I've been using it for more than 6 months and i've never had any problem with malicious software during the time. On the other hand, as long as I have Unix built in Mac OS I am not really concerned about viruses or malicious software as you can just remove them using the terminal. If you blame Mac OS that means you also blame Unix, and to be fair i don't think majority of computer experts would agree with you on that point.
But like you stated especially for children it would be quite hard to realise phishing attempts on the web. So on that point, I'd suggest you to decide a secure browser such as Firefox as mentioned. If you are willing to pay money on an antivirus-internet protection software than McAfee seems to best as every single webpage you visit would be checked by a virtual machine before you enter them so it would really lower the risk.
Kashinilaya
selim06 wrote:
iAntivirus is a free and quick one, I've been using it for more than 6 months and i've never had any problem with malicious software during the time. On the other hand, as long as I have Unix built in Mac OS I am not really concerned about viruses or malicious software as you can just remove them using the terminal. If you blame Mac OS that means you also blame Unix, and to be fair i don't think majority of computer experts would agree with you on that point.
But like you stated especially for children it would be quite hard to realise phishing attempts on the web. So on that point, I'd suggest you to decide a secure browser such as Firefox as mentioned. If you are willing to pay money on an antivirus-internet protection software than McAfee seems to best as every single webpage you visit would be checked by a virtual machine before you enter them so it would really lower the risk.

Thank you selim06. I'll consider that.
aningbo
try to use google chrome or firefox. somehow i feel better using chrome

i really dont need a reason to use an anti virus so far.

all is well on my macbook pro after almost a year Smile
dickerson
Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X provides integrated cross-platform virus detection on Macintosh servers, desktops and laptops. Our powerful Sophos virus .