FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Solar Power

TomCapps
Among the renewable sources of energy are the sun, wind and the water.
standready
I agree with using alternative renewable energy sources as much as possible to help reduce the need for fossil fuels. I doubt they will ever fully replace the use of fossil fuels though due to reliability. After all, the sun does go down or hide behind clouds and the wind never blows consistently.
jabce85
Solar power is definitely a good idea, but we really need to hope the price of photovoltaics comes down in the near future.
belo-dc-laptop
I think of solar energy as a great potential. I hope they can develop it for maximum usage
loyal
Peace.

I once heard of a guy who powered his house through solar panels on his roof. I wonder if that's possible to replicate...although it's rarely ever sunny in britain these days, so meh...maybe powered by rain...
chatrack
We need to invent a grand technology that can convert solar power directly and econimically.
I beleave nanotechnology can contribute some thing new in this case.
We need to invent some thing new , other than PN junction photovoltaic cell.
Arty
Solar cells are getting more efficient. Maybe one day they will be more efficient than combustion and cheaper, too, but not today.
deanhills
Arty wrote:
Solar cells are getting more efficient. Maybe one day they will be more efficient than combustion and cheaper, too, but not today.
Right. They need to become much more efficient first, but at least people are working on it. I guess one day when blackouts are more regular than they are, and/or electricity becomes almost unaffordable, and more research funds are channelled into this technology, we may see a change.
Hogwarts
chatrack wrote:
We need to invent a grand technology that can convert solar power directly and econimically.

The technology already exists; it's called a nuclear powerplant.
menino
Nuclear power doesnt convert solar power to energy. It uses Uranium, or plutonium I think, and there are toxic nuclear wastes generated from it.

Solar energy is kind of cleaner, except that the solar cells are expensive and they deteriorate after some point of time.

But solar power should be harnessed anyways. I think alternative fuels is the next big thing.
Hogwarts
menino wrote:
Nuclear power doesnt convert solar power to energy. It uses Uranium, or plutonium I think, and there are toxic nuclear wastes generated from it.

Solar energy is kind of cleaner, except that the solar cells are expensive and they deteriorate after some point of time.

But solar power should be harnessed anyways. I think alternative fuels is the next big thing.

Wikipedia wrote:
the Sun, like most stars, is a main sequence star, and thus generates its energy by nuclear fusion of hydrogen nuclei into helium

Basically, the sun is just a giant nuclear fusion reactor Rolling Eyes

Whilst we can't use nuclear fusion yet, we presently do use nuclear fission. Beyond the differences associated, it's the same -- except for the fact that the energy isn't spread out across the universe
airh3ad
Everyone is aware of the environmental problems associated with the use of fossil fuels and nuclear energy. While technology exists to convert clean, renewable energy sources, derived from wind, waves, sun and other such sources, into the energy we need in our daily lives, the only visible application of such technology in the Seychelles is the increasing use of solar water heaters. This is the solution of our problem in energy right the solar power!
Hogwarts
airh3ad wrote:
Everyone is aware of the environmental problems associated with the use of fossil fuels and nuclear energy. While technology exists to convert clean, renewable energy sources, derived from wind, waves, sun and other such sources, into the energy we need in our daily lives, the only visible application of such technology in the Seychelles is the increasing use of solar water heaters. This is the solution of our problem in energy right the solar power!

Problems of nuclear energy? What, taking radioactive material out of the ground and putting radioactive material back into the ground? It's already radioactive when it's in the ground. Where's the problem? Rolling Eyes