FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I sync a folder with another folder on my usb?

Denvis
Okay, maybe sync isn't the correct term but bare with me here.

I have a folder (folder A_) on my c drive and the same folder (folder B_) on my usb. Whenever I make a slight change to folder 'A' I have to make that same slight change to folder 'B' (it's a folder of all the typed up documents so it's constantly changed btw).

I want it so that once I make a change on folder 'A', folder 'B' will do the same change. I also want it so that even if my usb is not attached to the comp, it will make that slight change when I plug it in automatically.

Is something like that possible? A program? A marco perhaps?
medesignz
Copy all > Paste All > Overwrite All... Thats how i'd do it

There is more than likely a program out there that will do such a task for you, but it would probably cost and take you just as long as the copy all paste all idea... BTW you can have that from me for free Wink
Xanify
Yeah, I would just copypaste... it sounds like there will be some technical solution but it'd be complex.
mOrpheuS
SyncToy - if you're using Microsoft Windows.

rsync if you're using Linux.

by the way, "Sync" is the correct term here.
Denvis
mOrpheuS wrote:

Oh, yes! Thank you!!!
Diablosblizz
If anybody is wondering for cross-computer syncing give either Live Mesh (Windows only) or Dropbox (Linux, Mac, Windows, Mobile, etc) a try. It will sync every computer with the program as well as provide your content on their website.
Kashinilaya
mOrpheuS wrote:

Is there one for Mac?
medesignz
Another way to get over the problem, of course, is to only ever edit the docs on the removable disk
snowboardalliance
Diablosblizz wrote:
If anybody is wondering for cross-computer syncing give either Live Mesh (Windows only) or Dropbox (Linux, Mac, Windows, Mobile, etc) a try. It will sync every computer with the program as well as provide your content on their website.

I started using Live Mesh and it seems cool. I like that any folder can be "shared" instead of drop box which just has a single folder you have to use. However, I wish I could access it with a portable app so it would be easier to access my files on university computer labs. I guess the web interface will have to do for the other end.
kmaliagkas
Comodo backup is another solution that supports that you are looking for and also it is freeware.
welshsteve
There are loads of freeware programs that can do this.

Allway Sync is one good one
Da Rossa
Just FYI, if you want to sync files in two computers (not between a puter and a usb drive), you can use this fancy application: Dropox.
Denvis
Da Rossa wrote:
Just FYI, if you want to sync files in two computers (not between a puter and a usb drive), you can use this fancy application: Dropox.

Why would I wanna do that when I can easily set up a network between 2 computers and share files that way...
Da Rossa
Denvis wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Why would I wanna do that when I can easily set up a network between 2 computers and share files that way...

Because Dropbox makes it easier when you have a desktop and a laptop, when the latter is not under your home wireless connection. Dropbox, over the internet, automatically detects filechanges and makes the sync.
mgeek
GoodSync is good.