FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Make page size relevent to individuals resolution

ssweat
Im sure its been asked before but how can I make my site expand or contract to each individuals resolution when they view a page. i.e. If I make my pages a standard 1280X1024 how can I make it so if a person with 1024x768 or 800x600 can view the page without having to scroll left and right?
I couldnt think of the proper search term cause my mind is cluttered at the moment lol Thanks in advance for any help.
mOrpheuS
ssweat wrote:
Im sure its been asked before but how can I make my site expand or contract to each individuals resolution when they view a page. i.e. If I make my pages a standard 1280X1024 how can I make it so if a person with 1024x768 or 800x600 can view the page without having to scroll left and right?
I couldnt think of the proper search term cause my mind is cluttered at the moment lol Thanks in advance for any help.

Javascript is one option -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163811.aspx

Using javascript you can have users' browsers load CSS specific to their screen resolutions -
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4537
ssweat
thanks so much for the info it was very helpful, I have done it before but was having a cluttered head last night, now Im well rested and back on track lol
pll
I always does the design of my page on a 700x600 size so everyone can see it.
But I have to agree, it's small for those in 1280x1024. Cool
zbale
If you are building your website via an interface such as that of Wordpress (others as well I guess) I think you can find themes which allow you to resize the screen.
ssweat
thanks for the tips,I am using coffecup VSD at the moment I think I have it figured out now.
Donutey
Use percentage based widths in your CSS, instead of 700px you choose a percentage. You can also set minimum and maximum widths so your site design doesn't get destroyed at very low and very high resolutions. Google is your friend for finding examples on how to design sites with variable widths to accommodate different screen resolutions.