FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

10 Reasons Why You Should Leave Work at 6.00pm

the-guide
Just received it via forwarded email and looks interesting so I would like to share...

Quote:

10 reasons why you should leave work at 6.00pm

1. Employment letter started that working hour finish at 6.00pm
2. Work is a never-ending process even you stay unitil next morning you will never finish it.
3. Human are not robots even robots / machines have to rest or else it will facing breakdown problems.
4. You love your career, but your family is even more important in your life.
5. If you failed in your life, your boss is not going to be the one who gives you a helping hand whereas your family would definitely offer help.
6. You do not want to screw up or make your life miserable because of your job.
7. Monthly salary = work from 9.00am – 6.00pm

Code:

if 6.30 pm = $0.00 + 0 Bonus + 0 Ang Pau + 0 apreciation + Bad Helath + Bad Social life + poor famity Relationship

Equal to: unproductive Employee + Performance drop + Company Repoutation Drops + Retremchment Rate Increases + Resignation Rate Increases.

8. If the persion who disagree to the above formulation, we think he/she is a loser who as no life, heartless, doomed workaholic, etc. He/She deserves the ‘Best Employee of The Year award’!
9. You don’t give a damn if you boss fires you.
10. For the Chinese, remember this ‘House In The East No Longer Keep You, Then Just Move to the West House’

So, I think I should shut down my machine and back home RIGHT NOW!!! Laughing
goutha
I'm not really ok with your reasons.

You should act based on your age, your goal and the love of your job.

If you're young work harder, longer. If you're not young work less harder and leave before 6pm.
If your goal is to be the president of the company of to be a millionaire, then work day and night.
If you love your job, work without counting your hours (but don't forget your family and friends).
the-guide
Well, thanks very much to "goutha" for great comment, however, please note that's just forwarded email I've received not my own reasons. Thanks again. Wink
Hogwarts
the-guide wrote:
Code:

if 6.30 pm = $0.00 + 0 Bonus + 0 Ang Pau + 0 apreciation + Bad Helath + Bad Social life + poor famity Relationship

Equal to: unproductive Employee + Performance drop + Company Repoutation Drops + Retremchment Rate Increases + Resignation Rate Increases.

8. If the persion who disagree to the above formulation, we think he/she is a loser who as no life, heartless, doomed workaholic, etc. He/She deserves the ‘Best Employee of The Year award’!
9. You don’t give a damn if you boss fires you.

Why does this remind me of religion? The former statement, "If somebody disagrees with what we're stating, they can burn eternally in hell Evil or Very Mad"

I disagree to some extent with points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10. They just don't seem particularly intelligent. Take, for example "Human are not robots even robots / machines have to rest or else it will facing breakdown problems. "

Ok, people need to rest. Great. And yet; even if you finish your work at 9:00, I can guarantee you can find time to rest. Assuming you work 12 hours in a day and (like me) sleep 6 hours a day, that still leaves 6 hours minus transportation to do whatever the hell you want it. You're working less than you would have several hundred years ago, and you're not a slave to boot! (Literally not enslaved!) Stop acting in the manner that working your mentioned half hour means that all possible unfortunate things have been set unto you; and look for a new job if you hate yours so much Rolling Eyes
paskifire
Pretty interesting Laughing
soljarag
if i leave work at 6 pm then I would be the only one here.... we work 8-5
eday2010
6pm is late. I leave work between 3:30 and 4:30pm.
r4inm4ker
Well, usually I stay a bit longer just to chat with colleagues, or browsing to relax a bit. I even drank in office till 9 pm ! Very Happy
rodrigokg
Interessanting, but i fell better to work in the morning, after dinner not...
goutha
r4inm4ker wrote:
Well, usually I stay a bit longer just to chat with colleagues, or browsing to relax a bit. I even drank in office till 9 pm ! Very Happy

Well I don't really call this staying after work Smile This is just like going to a bar after work Smile
jabce85
9am - 6pm..... I must be working in the wrong field...... 7am - 5pm for me..... i wish those rules were universal...
Radar
I don't see whatever the finishing time is as a definitive line. Do what you need to do, finish off whatever task you're on, and then leave. If you feel like you're there too long, then leave earlier.

Just whatever works basically Razz
guggs
Work 6am to 2pm ... then go fishing !!!
sudipbanerjee
Actually my working hour is 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. So there is no question to loeave my work at 6 p.m.
Helios
I leave work at about 1900 (starting at 0730, not including 1.5 hour transportation). Not that bad, sometimes I stay much later however.
It really depends on the person... if you can handle the job or not. Some jobs are tougher than others and/or some people are tougher than others, hence there can be a lot of good reasons to leave work at 6 pm or no good reasons at all to do that...

As I see it though, the point of that email was to make a point about taking a rest from work / not working so hard / "work to live and not live to work" / etc... so that is, of course, understandable.
Some people are total workaholics and leave no time for family and friends, which is bad. Decide, if possible, to plan your schedule and work as efficiently as possible to minimize the number of hours you put into labor. If working in a team, remember that you don't have to be the guy who does everything. It really all depends on the job itself, but I believe it's not something impossible and can always be done to a certain extent.
goutha
Not really valid reasons...
Da Rossa
In abstract, I agree with that list. However I'm not qualified to give an opinion since I've never been exactly in a work environment. Maybe I'll never will be in a traditional one.
Xanify
maybe if that was better-written we'd actually take it seriously.
achowles
Work being a never ending process. That right there should be enough of a reason. No matter how much you do there will always be more. As long as you're making enough to be happy (no stress from bills and debt, for instance) then there's no reason to work yourself to death for a lousy promotion.
goutha
Xanify wrote:
maybe if that was better-written we'd actually take it seriously.

Smile)) Completely agress with you!!
Ghost900
This is an article that makes little sense.

What do you mean you get 0 bonus and 0 appreciation and $0.00 dollars?

Confused
Insanity
If you really like your job, then there really is no reason not to do it.
menino
I think yes, if you love your job, then staying late maybe your own choice.
Sometimes it can take its toll on your health, but overall, its up to the person itself.
I enjoy my job, but most of the time, I leave only 15 minutes late, otherwise an hour late.
But in my earlier years, I used to work 14 hours a day.
I found that it is of not much use working late, unless its a new company and requirements are major.
deanhills
menino wrote:
I think yes, if you love your job, then staying late maybe your own choice.
Sometimes it can take its toll on your health, but overall, its up to the person itself.
I enjoy my job, but most of the time, I leave only 15 minutes late, otherwise an hour late.
But in my earlier years, I used to work 14 hours a day.
I found that it is of not much use working late, unless its a new company and requirements are major.
I like my job too, and I like arriving earlier and leaving later. I find I am always ahead of the game that way. On the other hand, it probably cannot be that good for my health, as I am spending far too much time in an air-conditioned environment, and probably not getting enough fresh air and exercise. I would probably do myself a favour if I were to work one hour less, and make a focussed effort to use that hour for doing something really very different. Breaks like that are supposed to bring insights and refresh one's thinking about work. Otherwise one can easily get stale in one's thinking.
ankitdatashn
some other addons can be:

11 : If one doesn't get an overtime allowance in his/her company than there is no need to put in extra effort!

12 : All work and no play makes Jack a dull guy!

13 : If money is lost something is lost, if relations are lost everything is lost.

14 : What will I get by working hard - job; what will I get by a good job - money; what will I get by more money -rest --- why delay it so much, take a short cut instead and rest now itself!
app893
physically,a man working at that time,he will be very tired and exhausted after the whole day working.he may be go to shopping or take care of his baby.....
Sacred
Wow...thats really interesting Very Happy
mattyj
6pm is a really late finish

I leave work at 4:30 and im the last one here!
guissmo
Following rules like that implies you don't like your job. I think a better rule will be "find a job that you like". So that you wont be complaining as much about your hours. If you are passionate enough, you'll find a lot of ways to improve your performance while not necessarily extending your work hours.

Just my two cents on this topic. Smile
ProfessorY91
I'll be overly critical and say that I quit reading the post half way through because of grammar mistakes and each of the reasons being poorly written. Not to mention that the points are redundant. My general policy is to leave work when I feel like I've accomplished enough. My family is indeed waiting for me at home, but they also depend on me financially to make enough money to support them. I'm not adverse to going home at a particular hour every day, nor am I adverse to staying late some days to finish what I need to finish. And if anyone is going to make an attempt to convince everyone to go home at a set time, shouldn't they consider different jobs first? When you leave definitely depends on what job you have. On that basis, I bid you a good day, and hopefully better posting.
TurtleShell
Yeah, if you live in LA actually, the rule is you leave before 5PM to beat the traffic. I dash out of my office every evening by 4:54, and during the summer, I leave earlier. What's shocking to me is that no one ever says anything, and no one has ever complained.

i don't think i'm going to be getting a promotion any time soon, but then, that wasn't going to happen for me anyway--I am the only person who works in my office and there is no "up" to go...
iman
I think it depends on how stressful your job really is. If it's just like giving cards on the tollway, or some other passive job, it's probably better to get more ot.
goutha
iman wrote:
I think it depends on how stressful your job really is. If it's just like giving cards on the tollway, or some other passive job, it's probably better to get more ot.

I hope that there's no forum members that are giving cards on the tollway ...