FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I Have Had An Epiphany (topic = cynicism)

Nameless
While preparing dinner yesterday, I was half-listening to my parents and their friends discussing some concern over the appropriateness of teachers on facebook or something along those lines. The general consensus of those present was that general paranoia over teacher-student relationships was ridiculous and that back in their day etc. Inevitably the line "What is the world coming to?" was spoken. Being as cynical as I am, my first thought was "The world's already there." And then it struck me!

Humanity has pretty much been selfish and short-sighted for centuries; wars, slavery, that kind of thing all the way down to exploiting loopholes in tax returns resulting in hospitals lacking governments funds and increasingly convoluted clauses by next year. Today, nothing's changed, so we have countries stockpiling enough nukes to easily genocide themselves down to about 3/4 of you idiot drivers [citation required] who cause trivial delays and the very slight risk of crashes every time you can't be bothered indicating at a roundabout.

But something's changed. Increasingly and moreso than ever before, people are becoming aware of their own collective idiocy. This isn't just one overly patriotic child hating the perceived faults of another, this is one overly patriotic child being afraid their own classmate will snap and go on a rampage. Every time you hear a laughably excessive politically correct phrasing, that's someone understanding that people still both retain an illogical us-and-them mentality and are hypersensitive enough about it to imagine malice in innocent statements. Thanks to the modern global media, even the spoilt rich kid being pampered by haughty parents can't completely ignore the millions of people suffering starvation or active cruelty in other countries. People are generally paranoid over teacher-student relationships because despite all the caution in the world inappropriate ones happen and they known this.

There is no worldwide decadence, only an increasing awareness of our own nature. Or subconscious is strong, but this is no divine pondering - the proof is there and pretence can only stretch so far before it collapses on itself. Sooner or later everyone will have no choice but to consciously recognise all our incurable faults, and I'm not sure if I should fear what will happen on that day.

(Cynic out. Donations to oh god get that man laid are welcome! Razz)

It does make me wonder though, what the world would be like if everybody was this *points upwards* cynical. I mean, do people just start mass suiciding, is it pretty much like now except with less BS, or does the mass grudging acceptance actually help people tolerate each other in the strictly small doses that they recognise are necessary?
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
But something's changed. Increasingly and moreso than ever before, people are becoming aware of their own collective idiocy. This isn't just one overly patriotic child hating the perceived faults of another, this is one overly patriotic child being afraid their own classmate will snap and go on a rampage. Every time you hear a laughably excessive politically correct phrasing, that's someone understanding that people still both retain an illogical us-and-them mentality and are hypersensitive enough about it to imagine malice in innocent statements. Thanks to the modern global media, even the spoilt rich kid being pampered by haughty parents can't completely ignore the millions of people suffering starvation or active cruelty in other countries. People are generally paranoid over teacher-student relationships because despite all the caution in the world inappropriate ones happen and they known this.
Excellent posting Nameless! I don't believe that anything is different along "increasingly" lines. Instead I believe that due to the fact that we have a limited timespan on earth, the lessons we learn are repeated generation to generation, and each generation seems to think that they have an "increase" or is "more developed" in philosophical thinking than the one before. It is all just an appearance of how things look. People are illogical period, self-centered and selfish because of their biological design, and will always tend to see things uniquely in their own eyes. I don't think they will ever get past their own "idiocy". Sadness is that most people get to some major insights, just about when they are ready to die. Although we can read and comprehend their insights, we just can't seem to transcend our own limited physical being. If we could, we would be able to live forever.