FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hints

Denvis
I've noticed that when a girl likes a guy, vise versa they give each other little hints which point out that they like them. My question is, what are those hints? I myself as a guy can be oblivious to any hints 'cause i'm a bloody idiot, but that's just me. I've never had a problem with this in the past. I've always just grew the balls and ask them out with any hints given but this time, it feels different. I don't wanna screw up my chances without acknowledging those hints.

So give me your input guys and girls. What hints do you give off when you like somebody?
rogue_skydragon
Whenever I find a girl attractive, or simply interesting, I tend to make more eye contact with them. I become a bit more chatty, and start asking questions about them.
mk12327
rogue_skydragon wrote:
Whenever I find a girl attractive, or simply interesting, I tend to make more eye contact with them. I become a bit more chatty, and start asking questions about them.

I guess i tend to have these symptoms as well. Maybe not so much of a chatty, but definitely ask questions to get to know them better. In fact, some people claim that girls like guys to "find out more about them". It makes them feel being special and being interested in.
RubySlasher
They'll stare at you a lot. But then again, that could be a look of hatred.
:S

I dunno. I heard that when a girl touches her hair a lot when looking at a guy, it's an instinctive motion that means she likes him.
But there's also girls that touch their hair as a coping mechanism whenever they feel nervous or threatened– or just because it falls into their face every 3 seconds anyways.

I do remember that when I first realized that I liked my guy, I found myself wearing his favorite color a lot more around him. Maybe other girls do that, too.

Asap170
RubySlasher wrote:

I dunno. I heard that when a girl touches her hair a lot when looking at a guy, it's an instinctive motion that means she likes him.
But there's also girls that touch their hair as a coping mechanism whenever they feel nervous or threatened– or just because it falls into their face every 3 seconds anyways.

I do remember that when I first realized that I liked my guy, I found myself wearing his favorite color a lot more around him. Maybe other girls do that, too.

Well I Am a guy and touch my hair a lot when I am around the girl I like.....
zbale
A very important thing to keep in mind is that those "hints" you are talking about can be very different from one culture to another. In other words, the same behavior can be a "hint" in one case but totally innocent in a different place or context.

More over, what can be a definite hint in one context (e.g. giving a straight and lengthy look at somebody) can be, in a different context where flirting is part of the social practices, just the regular mode of communication. For instance, in Paris, many people may seem flirtatious but it does not mean that there are interested in having a relationship with you, that's just the way people interact. So to an extent it may be a "hint" (it signals interest) but it should not be interpreted as one marking specific interest.

There is a lot of research in behavioral sciences that you may find interesting on the subject. Actually there may be some universal, biologically-based hints (like slightly opening one's legs, if I'm not mistaken). These are not necessarily consciously emitted and not necessarily consciously received.

Try to check things out on the Internet, I'm sure you'll find information on that.
deanhills
I think you should be who you are. If it is not in your usual behaviour to give off verbal or body language hints, then maybe you should not use this, as this may come across completely artificially and be offputting. I think most people are uncertain when they are first dating people. The girl may be uncertain too. So probably just keep on talking to one another and date the girl and it will all fall into place as well. The girl may also sometimes come up with cues of what she likes, so probably just good to really listen well when she is talking and to look out for those.
Denvis
zbale wrote:
A very important thing to keep in mind is that those "hints" you are talking about can be very different from one culture to another. In other words, the same behavior can be a "hint" in one case but totally innocent in a different place or context.

More over, what can be a definite hint in one context (e.g. giving a straight and lengthy look at somebody) can be, in a different context where flirting is part of the social practices, just the regular mode of communication. For instance, in Paris, many people may seem flirtatious but it does not mean that there are interested in having a relationship with you, that's just the way people interact. So to an extent it may be a "hint" (it signals interest) but it should not be interpreted as one marking specific interest.

There is a lot of research in behavioral sciences that you may find interesting on the subject. Actually there may be some universal, biologically-based hints (like slightly opening one's legs, if I'm not mistaken). These are not necessarily consciously emitted and not necessarily consciously received.

Try to check things out on the Internet, I'm sure you'll find information on that.

Ahh! I totally agree. I live in Australia and because it's such a multicultural nation it's so hard to tell. However I'd have to agree with rogue_skydragon as well. I seem to talk a lot with the person I like. Asking more about her and gaining a decent knowledge of what kind of person they are.

Some people tend to do the opposite. Sometimes when a guy and a girl (vise versa) see each other as a friend, there's less pressure but the instant they begin to like each other; the way they talk, their movements, tone of voice, body gesture all changes.

Quote:

I'm a guy and I use to do that back in 4th grade. Haha, there was this girl who really liked the colour blue. When I found out, I asked mum to buy me a blue jacket and hat. I wore that blue jacket and hat to school for months!
greeneyedtaxi
i try to make myself more visible to the girl that i like.

eye contact also helps.

and when i talk to that person, i ask questions about love and relationships, about people and personalities; i try to find out exactly what kind of person the girl is.
zbale
Denvis wrote:

I'm a guy and I use to do that back in 4th grade. Haha, there was this girl who really liked the colour blue. When I found out, I asked mum to buy me a blue jacket and hat. I wore that blue jacket and hat to school for months!

Yeah, I can feel for you, man. The crazy things we did (and still do) just to get some attention... we could have a thread listing those. Dozens of pages long, I'm sure. Very Happy
mk12327
zbale wrote:
Denvis wrote:

Yeah, I can feel for you, man. The crazy things we did (and still do) just to get some attention... we could have a thread listing those. Dozens of pages long, I'm sure. Very Happy

Agreed. Especially when we are all much younger, we do alot of funny or things we regard as foolish when we are older for or in front of people we like. Most people rationalise too much as they get older and then stop doing these things.

Back to the main topic, i would say that zbale has a point. Cultural differences affect one's perspective and actions. Even something simple such as greetings can be different (shaking hands vs bowing vs kiss etc.), i don't see why indications of affections can differ between cultures.
zbale
mk12327 wrote:

Agreed. Especially when we are all much younger, we do alot of funny or things we regard as foolish when we are older for or in front of people we like. Most people rationalise too much as they get older and then stop doing these things.

Yeah, it's a tough call: looking back, we tend to think that back then we didn't know what love is. But is there one understanding of love only (= the one we have attained most recently)? Or should we consider that it is natural and legitimate to see love in a certain way at a certain age, and then to see it differently in different circumstances?

In the moments of happiness we shared when we first discovered love, would we have been that fully happy had we seen things with our later understanding of what love, what life is about? I don't believe so.
jilbs
RubySlasher wrote:

how about biting her lips alot while touching her hair? my chatmate last night does that alot. i think she's into me. what do you think?
HoytJolly
I have found that I always look for the hints to be given by the wrong person. While I am trying to translate the actions of a truly awful person, a very kind and wonderful person is doing everything in her power to get my attention without looking desperate. The turning point in my life came when I stopped chasing after people that were bad for me and grabbed hold of the person that obviously liked me. Here are a few hints.

If a person makes you feel bad, react with indignation and put distance between you and them. If they make an effort to come back to you, that is a good sign.

If a person shuns you or acts like they are above you, that is a terrible sign.

If being around them makes you feel good, happy or strong, that is a great sign.
macky
Denvis wrote:
I've noticed that when a girl likes a guy, vise versa they give each other little hints which point out that they like them. My question is, what are those hints? I myself as a guy can be oblivious to any hints 'cause i'm a bloody idiot, but that's just me. I've never had a problem with this in the past. I've always just grew the balls and ask them out with any hints given but this time, it feels different. I don't wanna screw up my chances without acknowledging those hints.

So give me your input guys and girls. What hints do you give off when you like somebody?

i try to make her attention at ease on me.. try to be friends with her at first...
mk12327
zbale wrote:
mk12327 wrote:

Yeah, it's a tough call: looking back, we tend to think that back then we didn't know what love is. But is there one understanding of love only (= the one we have attained most recently)? Or should we consider that it is natural and legitimate to see love in a certain way at a certain age, and then to see it differently in different circumstances?

In the moments of happiness we shared when we first discovered love, would we have been that fully happy had we seen things with our later understanding of what love, what life is about? I don't believe so.

I guess it is somehow unavoidable. It is the same thing when an adult find it harder to be entertained by things that once entertained them when they were young. We become more pragmatic, less innocent and more demanding to the things around us.
macky
i must say it is through feelings.

There are thousand or millions of hints that each individual give as a sign to the person they want.

I'm not that Master in love or what ever but i had a chance to feel this way and get a chance to

show what it feels like. Honestly when your on that momentum everything will be clear as you feel

different with the person your looking at. Sometimes, it starts with smiles, then just looking at you in

glance and then your on your way to get your home base.
zbale
mk12327 wrote:
zbale wrote:
mk12327 wrote:

I guess it is somehow unavoidable. It is the same thing when an adult find it harder to be entertained by things that once entertained them when they were young. We become more pragmatic, less innocent and more demanding to the things around us.

I believe you're right, that's the way we tend to be, though I guess it does not have to be so. But it probably does require an effort from us in order to go back to a less pragmatic approach to things (interestingly, it seems that when doing something, kids tend to focus on the process, not the end-result. Maybe there's something to learn there).