FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Using Too Much Disk Space

polly-gone
This is probably the wrong place to post this, but I would just like to clarify why I went over my disk space usage.

I received an automated notice telling me that I was using 109% of my allocated disk space and I went to check it out. I then found that one of my email addresses has been hit with over 160 MB of pure spam within the past week. I have since deactivated that email address so that this doesn't happen again, but I would just like to clarify/apologize/warm of possible attack.

Thanks,

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Bondings
I guess a lot of people have some issues with disk quota. Especially since it seems that the disk quota's on the old server were wrong (way less than the actual valu).

What's weird, though, is that I thought that due to the email problems there were problems with emails getting in.
polly-gone
The quota was correct on my account. The account that got hit had over 5,000 emails in it, most dated Year 3611, most of which didn't actually come until this week. It kinda seems like a poorly planned DoS or something.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Nick2008
My disk quota magically went from ~50MB to 324MB...

I am now unable to update any html files or upload other files because I am "over my quota".

Hopefully this is temporary?
Bondings
Nick2008 wrote:
My disk quota magically went from ~50MB to 324MB...

I am now unable to update any html files or upload other files because I am "over my quota".

Hopefully this is temporary?

The disk quota's on the old server weren't correct, the new server shows the actual usage.

I can try to help you remove unwanted files if you want. I will most likely also raise the limit to 500MB for the accounts on Server 2/3 to compensate for the problems lately.
inphurno
i also got a message about this but from what i could see i was not over the limit... anyway i removed some older stuff just in case i miscalculated and the problem was real

Edit: I went into the control panel to try to copy some files onto the server and my disk space bar is red and that i'm over the space limit by more than a 100 MB, before it used to say i was using like 80 MB. now i cant fix anything the file manager page wont load. i get this error:

Your connection has timed out

Details

Consider disabling the Folder Usage Count.
Nick2008
I also have been spiked up to about 50mb over the 250mb limit, I deleted about ~50 megs of files to compensate, yet the webspace quota remains unchanged.

EDIT: Found the way to refresh webspace usage, seems OK now.
inphurno
not sure why but the file and folder clean up i did on the weekend didn't seem to work and all the stuff i deleted is still there Crying or Very sad ... trying to do a clean up now to fix things again
Q5U8
I'm in the same problem that the fellas with subquota, I tried to backup the account but now is impossible.

I started to erase some files and downsize the databases, but still I'm so far to reach the 250MB limit.
inphurno
any news about raising the limit?
inphurno
hoping to get a reply on this since i cant log into the webmail to clean up my emails and i cant really delete any of the files on my sites
Bondings
I'll change the limit one of the next few days, depending how easy it is to change it.
inphurno
thanks the increased limit Bondings! is this going to be permanent?
Bondings
inphurno wrote:
thanks the increased limit Bondings! is this going to be permanent?

That's the plan, yes. Very Happy
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
I'll change the limit one of the next few days, depending how easy it is to change it.

Why would you increase the limit? When you go back to lower it, you will have people that have genuinely used that much space! When their disk quotas have been reached they are not allowed to create anymore files, am I right? What's the harm in having them remove the spam email in their accounts to recover their disk space?
Bondings
coreymanshack wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Why would you increase the limit? When you go back to lower it, you will have people that have genuinely used that much space! When their disk quotas have been reached they are not allowed to create anymore files, am I right? What's the harm in having them remove the spam email in their accounts to recover their disk space?

It's supposed to be permanent. So normally I won't be lowering them.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Bondings wrote:

It's supposed to be permanent. So normally I won't be lowering them.

Oh alright! That's great then. More space for frihosters.