FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Important]Server 2/3 move

Bondings
Server 2/3 is going to move to a new and more powerful dedicated server soon. This will affect users with a frih.net (server 2 users) and a frih.org (server 3 users) subdomain.

Normally you won't need to do anything. The only case something needs to be done is if you have a domain pointed to the previous server ip address. In that case you will need to change it to the new ip address after your account has been moved (after step 4 or 8, depending on the server).

The move is going to happen in several phases if everything goes according to the planning.

Please note that your websites should stay up pretty much the whole time, apart during the restarting of services or when your actual account is backed up. However, all changes to your account made after it is backed up and before it is ready/working on the new server (Step 4 or 8, depending on the server), will be lost.

Phase 1: Configuring the server.

Phase 2: Backing up Server 2 (frih.net) accounts.
Phase 3: Transferring Server 2 accounts and restoring them on the new server.
Phase 4: Changing dns for Server 2 accounts. --> Accounts of Server 2 ready.

Phase 5: Backup up Server 3 (frih.org) accounts.
Phase 6: Transferring Server 3 accounts and restoring them on the new server.
Phase 7: Backing up and transferring frihost.com and restoring on the new server.
Phase 8: Changing dns for Server 3 accounts.--> Accounts of Server 3 ready.

Phase 9: Changing nameservers at the registrar. (after a few days if everything goes fine)

Server IP: 64.120.224.218

Current status: Finished. Some users are still having some problems on the new server still. But apart from that, everything is ok.
Bondings
I have started the backups of server 2 accounts, frih.net. For those users, please do not modify anything on your account, because those changes might not be reflected on the new server.
Bondings
The backups are currently at accounts starting with 'c'.

Currently the transfers of the backups is at accounts with a 'b'. This part takes the longest time.

All accounts starting with an 'a' are restored on the new server. Those can already check it out on http://64.120.224.218:2222/ and check if everything is working. Please note that the dns is still pointing to the old server.

And yet again, currently only server 2 accounts are being transferred (frih.net accounts).
Bondings
Users with usernames a, b and c are already on the new server. Those can check out their accounts on http://64.120.224.218:2222/ .
Bondings
Up to 'k' has been created on the new server. Unfortunately it's going way slower than predicted, it's the backing up of accounts on the old server that is taking the most time. I'll try to make it faster, but I don't think I can speed it up much.
Bondings
We're at the letter 'o' and it's getting a bit faster now, it seems. Hopefully done soon.
Bondings
It's almost finished now. All accounts are backed up and the last ones are being transferred. Then the last will be restored and I'll point the dns to the new server. Hopefully it will work fine. Very Happy
Bondings
It's finished. Everything seems to look fine after the move.

There were a few errors during the backup/restore for a few accounts. I'll handle those tomorrow.

For all users of Server 2 (with frih.net accounts). Please test your website if it works completely, if nothing is missing and if you are accessing it on the new server. Like by creating a new file on the new server and testing it if you see it with your browser. http://64.120.224.218:2222/

Please post it in these support forums if there are any questions or problems. The faster I know, the better.

Users on Server 3 (frih.org accounts) will be transfered tomorrow if everything goes fine.
deanhills
Mine is working perfectly Steve. Thanks for all the hard work.
Bondings
I have started with the backups of frih.org (server 3) accounts.

The accounts that had errors with the backups will be taken care of in the next few hours.
milleja46
As soon as server 3 is up can you just create a new account for me there and delete server 4's account? I am starting completly over with my site since you are moving me.
jmi256
Bondings wrote:
I have started with the backups of frih.org (server 3) accounts.

The accounts that had errors with the backups will be taken care of in the next few hours.

Hi Bondings. Once this migration happens, will the email issue be resolved too (i'm able to send emails, but not receive)? Or is that a separate issue?
Bondings
jmi256 wrote:
Hi Bondings. Once this migration happens, will the email issue be resolved too (i'm able to send emails, but not receive)? Or is that a separate issue?

I hope they will be fixed by it. In case they don't, please report it to me as fast as possible, so I can look for a way to solve them.

By the way, the move is nearly finished, maybe in a good hour or so.
Bondings
The move is more or less completed. This is posted on the new server. Very Happy

I still have to fix the errors that occurred during the backup and also make the search here work again.
milleja46
So am i moved over with this?
Bondings
milleja46 wrote:
So am i moved over with this?

I'll create an account for you tomorrow. Now I first need to fix a lot of smaller things.
milleja46
Ok, i just noticed i couldn't login. And was wondering if the server 3 thing was the cause. ANd i am going to take it the little things are the mysql problems?
Bondings
The search is working again. Very Happy

Also, please check your websites and notify me of any problems!

Also, if you have a domain pointing directly to the previous ip address of server 2/3 (72.232.207.74), please change it to the new one: 64.120.224.218. If you don't do this, once the old server is taken offline (in a few weeks) your website won't work anymore. If you use our nameservers or only have a subdomain, then you don't need to do anything except check for errors/problems!
jmi256
Bondings wrote:
jmi256 wrote:

I hope they will be fixed by it. In case they don't, please report it to me as fast as possible, so I can look for a way to solve them.

By the way, the move is nearly finished, maybe in a good hour or so.

I treid to log into Roundmail, and got the following error when I went to the login page:

Quote:
SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE!
Error No. [500]

I have all my email set up on my Blackberry, and I was able send an email from my frihost email address and it got to the recipient. But when I replied back to the frihost email address, it didn't go through and I got an undeliverable message (I changed the email and server details):

Quote:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

me@myurl.com
An error occurred while trying to deliver this message to the recipient's e-mail address. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: host.frih.org.

Quote:
Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: xxx-xxx.xxx.xxx.com

me@myurl.com
host.frih.org #550 authentication required ##
milleja46
And earlier when i tried to log into the forums it told me to wait until server is done moving. Am i the only one who experienced this?
missdixy
Welcome back frihost!
I was sad earlier when I couldn't access the forums >.<
missdixy
milleja46 wrote:
And earlier when i tried to log into the forums it told me to wait until server is done moving. Am i the only one who experienced this?

Same thing happened to me.
milleja46
Okay now i don't feel so weird. And i am not even on the servers that were moved. YET
missdixy
Alright i just went to my website and noticed that a post I made to my blog yesterday is missing! But part of me almost feels like maybe I am crazy and forgot to post publish but I am like 85% sure that I did publish it and if I hadn't it should be in my drafts but it's not.

Ok, so I'm not sure if this is related to this or not but yea, just wanted to put it out there!
Bondings
milleja46 wrote:

I put it there on the old server just before the forums were moved to prevent posting (otherwise those posts would have been lost). It should only have taken about half an hour or a bit more.

@jmi256, I'll take a look at Roundcube and the email problems.
Bondings
I have re-installed RoundCube, and it seems to be working for me. Could you please test it again?

I was able to login into RoundCube, SquirrelMail, but not UebiMiau.

I'll try to install/update UebiMiau again and will check the mail issue tomorrow.
jmi256
Bondings wrote:
I have re-installed RoundCube, and it seems to be working for me. Could you please test it again?

I was able to log into RoundCube, SquirrelMail, but not UebiMiau.

I'll try to install/update UebiMiau again and will check the mail issue tomorrow.

Same error on RoundCube (SERVICE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE! Error No. [500]). I was able to log into SquirrelMail, but the issue there is that I'm able to send emails out, but there are no incoming emails. I also was able to log into UebiMiau, but there were no emails there (or at least ones that I sent as a test).

Would it make sense for me to delete the email account and create a new one with the same address (I don't have much going there or saved)?
milleja46
Bondings wrote:
milleja46 wrote:

I put it there on the old server just before the forums were moved to prevent posting (otherwise those posts would have been lost). It should only have taken about half an hour or a bit more.

Well it happened several times. And inbettween those i was able to access forums. I didn't know it was on one of those servers.
wellerchap
Technically speaking, I have absolutely no idea what you've needed to do for us here Rolling Eyes but can I just say a big word of thanks to you for your efforts in sorting this out....my site's working perfectly, and it must be pretty stressful juggling so many balls in the air at once.
Well done!
deanhills
This is not a biggie, but just a curious thing. My points seemed to have been reset at 44 instead of 45. I was shaking my head, as was wondering whether I had missed a day, but then clearly remembered posting yesterday. I then checked, and Ocalhoun, who had been posting as well has also been reset to 44. Must say I prefer double digits and 44 looks nicer than 45, but was just wondering what had happened.

I imagine the forum is now on the spiffy new Server, and it does feel MUCH faster, so thanks again for the hard work. Smile
milleja46
Now that things are fixed can you please switch me over? Don't move any files please, i will just start completly over. Thanks for your help so far and for what you do.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
This is not a biggie, but just a curious thing. My points seemed to have been reset at 44 instead of 45. I was shaking my head, as was wondering whether I had missed a day, but then clearly remembered posting yesterday. I then checked, and Ocalhoun, who had been posting as well has also been reset to 44. Must say I prefer double digits and 44 looks nicer than 45, but was just wondering what had happened.

I imagine the forum is now on the spiffy new Server, and it does feel MUCH faster, so thanks again for the hard work. Smile

The points were probably reset twice due to the server move I guess (once on each server). I'll disable the script for a few days to compensate for the server problems and this double reset.

@jmi256, you are correct, I think I checked it on the wrong server.

At the moment, Atmail, SquirelMail and UebiMiau are working for me. Roundcube isn't, it doesn't even want to recreate the database it uses. But at least you have 3 alternatives now.

About the email issue. I finally found the problem. It was an almost empty file, which should have contained all domains on the server. I recreated it with a DirectAdmin script ( http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=113 ). In any case, it seems fixed, at least a test email of mine got through. My apologies about the problems.
milleja46
I can't access my new site. It gives me a not found and leads me to the default search provider. I can access if i type http://64.120.224.218/config but i can't really add all the files i need to, since ftp also won't connect. Also the error i get with ftp software is:
Code:
Connection attempt failed with "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known".

I guess my account is still being setup.
Bondings
Please try now. I had to restart named and httpd. Normally they restart themselves after an account is added.
jmi256
Bondings wrote:
@jmi256, you are correct, I think I checked it on the wrong server.

At the moment, Atmail, SquirelMail and UebiMiau are working for me. Roundcube isn't, it doesn't even want to recreate the database it uses. But at least you have 3 alternatives now.

About the email issue. I finally found the problem. It was an almost empty file, which should have contained all domains on the server. I recreated it with a DirectAdmin script ( http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=113 ). In any case, it seems fixed, at least a test email of mine got through. My apologies about the problems.

There's a bit of a lag from when I send and email until when it's received, but it's working. Thanks Bondings! I actually like UebiMiau a little better.
milleja46
Still can't access ftp or site. I can access direct admin but not anything else.
Bondings
milleja46 wrote:
Still can't access ftp or site. I can access direct admin but not anything else.

You are trying to use your new subdomain, not the old one, I hope? http://milleja46games.frih.org
milleja46
The new, it gives internet cannot display the page, i can access the direct admin if i use the ip address location of server but that's it. Otherwise the site does not work, ftp and domain are not accessible.
milleja46
Can this please be fixed so i can access my site and move things to it?
jmi256
Bondings wrote:
milleja46 wrote:

You are trying to use your new subdomain, not the old one, I hope? http://milleja46games.frih.org

For what it's worth, Bondings, I tried to access the link above, and it didn't work for me either. It sounds like a DNS issue. Also, do you have to open up a port on your firewall?
milleja46
So glad it's not only me.
milleja46
Can you please get mine working so i can actually use it? I want people to see it without trouble. So please help me.
Vanilla
I'm having the same issue described here. When I access via FTP, there's nothing on the public html folder. Confused
Bondings
I have reverted back to the 'new' server. The old data is available on http://72.232.207.74:2222/ .

The problem with the 'new' server was due to loose disk drive cable. What took them 3 days to diagnose and fix this is beyond my comprehension.

My apologies about this. Please post a new topic for major help issues.
Asap170
Bondings wrote:
I have reverted back to the 'new' server. The old data is available on http://72.232.207.74:2222/ .

The problem with the 'new' server was due to loose disk drive cable. What took them 3 days to diagnose and fix this is beyond my comprehension.

My apologies about this. Please post a new topic for major help issues.

Hahaha That's hilarious. I remember a youtube video that it took a whole day to figure why some servers didn't start... turned out that it was a power plug thing was unplugged! Glad to hear it's good!
milleja46
how would i access data on old server in ftp, copy it so i could transfer it to new server?
Cliffer
i uploaded new files by ftp last night,but all them lost now. my site is still an old one.
i don't know if the server i'm using right now is new or old? i need to do something?
Asap170
Cliffer wrote:
i uploaded new files by ftp last night,but all them lost now. my site is still an old one.
i don't know if the server i'm using right now is new or old? i need to do something?

Bondings moved all accounts to the new one. So some new information isn't on the new server. Check your topic you made.
milleja46
Never mind about my earlier comment
Bondings
We're back on the new server, this time with the mysql data on the first disk.

The problem was that the second hard drive in the server was malfunctioning, causing the server to get a huge server load and not responding anymore.
saratdear
I am happy that the forums are back but it seems a bit...slow for me. Could that be because the mysql is on the first disk?

Anyway, there was an email warning me about my -10 points, but when I logged in I was happy to see I was only at -6. Thanks for not deducting the points Bondings.
Vanilla
When I access Direct Admin I can see all the files, but there's nothing on FTP. I'm just confused. Confused
mOrpheuS
Vanilla wrote:
When I access Direct Admin I can see all the files, but there's nothing on FTP. I'm just confused. Confused

That's most likely because your DirectAdmin and FTP are connecting to different servers.

Make sure you use the same address/IP to access both of them.
Either use the subdomain name for accessing both DirectAdmin and FTP OR the new server's IP for both.
Vanilla
mOrpheuS wrote:
That's most likely because your DirectAdmin and FTP are connecting to different servers.

Make sure you use the same address/IP to access both of them.
Either use the subdomain name for accessing both DirectAdmin and FTP OR the new server's IP for both.

Thanks for the help. Very Happy

I'm using the same domain, my weblog www.popnoid.com. That's the host address on my FTP and to see my Direct Admin, I use www.popnoid.com:2222. I can see all the files on Direct Admin, but nothing on the site and FTP. I just don't know how to transfer the data because everything is already there. Confused

Can this be a DNS problem by any chance? I have to set the DNS again?
wombatrpgs
Ha, this has produced some amusing situations on my PHP/MySQL forums... Posts keep getting shuffled around as the database changes. Nothing big, just sort of alarming.
milleja46
Same here with a topic i made on here and probably stupidly named i might add and should have named it something else, but the last post was supposed to be the lock but i get it shuffled around.
wombatrpgs
Yeah, I've been having time confusion too. For some reason, posts from one move were being set to a later post date, so it would end up with one post that was always at the end of a topic. Fun stuff.
Bondings
There are problems with the system clock. Every time the server is rebooted, the time is set back about 5 hours, causing quite some problems.

I think we'll need a kernel update to fix this. I will simply try not to reboot the server for quite some time since I don't want to cause any more problems with a kernel update at the moment.
milleja46
I haven't noticed anything Wink but hey if it is going wrong do what you gotta do.
mk12327
Since server 2 and 3 are going through a server upgrade, are there plans for server 1 as well? By the way, I had noticed that my account in server 1 now has unlimited disk space as compared to what we used to be given in the past - 250MB. Is that an error or that more space are now given to frihoster?
Bondings
mk12327 wrote:
Since server 2 and 3 are going through a server upgrade, are there plans for server 1 as well? By the way, I had noticed that my account in server 1 now has unlimited disk space as compared to what we used to be given in the past - 250MB. Is that an error or that more space are now given to frihoster?

That is an error. I am planning to change the quota to 500MB to compensate at least a bit for all the server problems, but that would be for server 2/3. The other servers may follow, but not immediately.
loyal
Bondings wrote:
[
That is an error. I am planning to change the quota to 500MB to compensate at least a bit for all the server problems, but that would be for server 2/3. The other servers may follow, but not immediately.

Just out of curiosiy, what happened to server 1? I thought that was a virtual server stored on server 2 or something?
Peace.
mgeek
My website doesn't look good. It is giving off PHP errors:

Please see this page, for example http://biblica.frih.org/site/2009/12/14/christmas-to-epiphany/
Asap170
mgeek wrote:

Please see this page, for example http://biblica.frih.org/site/2009/12/14/christmas-to-epiphany/

It looks to be fine. Maybe it's your DNS in your area not resolving, but I believe that Bondings fixed this whole big server problem.
wombatrpgs
Looks like system time reset again... It's sort of weird. Everyone who posted in the hour that "vanished" has to wait for the clock to catch up again before they can post, due to flood control. The board thinks they posted two hours in the future...
Q5U8
In my case, I had in my cms with a creation date stamp and published time stamp. All the data entered hours ago is unpublished, because the cms thinks that the time to publish it still no happens... Crying or Very sad

The UTC of the server is marking at this very moment 02-03-2010 16:47.

My local time (Central Time) is 15:47.

Rolling Eyes
evilryu530
yup, my websites are dead too....not sure why
mgeek
Asap170 wrote:
mgeek wrote:

It looks to be fine. Maybe it's your DNS in your area not resolving, but I believe that Bondings fixed this whole big server problem.

Not really. You see my site looked so bad that I disabled the addon that was causing the PHP errors.
FunDa
I had to change over th IP address, coz I use Google Apps and so an external nameserver. The transition went without any problems. My site is working fine. I also updated to the latest Wordpress after a long time.

Thanks Bondings.
karlosgwapo
milleja46 wrote:
Bondings wrote:
milleja46 wrote:

Well it happened several times. And inbettween those i was able to access forums. I didn't know it was on one of those servers.

It also happened on me
klownsrus
Does this effect the possibilty of making new domains on our hosting accounts.
AftershockVibe
Everything is working fine for me... after the initial hiccups with the old server being restored were resolved. Great job. Site is much more responsive now too! Smile
loyal
AftershockVibe wrote:
Everything is working fine for me... after the initial hiccups with the old server being restored were resolved. Great job. Site is much more responsive now too! Smile

Yeah, everything feels much faster. In that case, Bondings should change it from "phase 8" to "phase 9, all phases completed" on the first post. Thanks, Bondings for all your hard work!

Peace.
daniel_dynamic
its very good