FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Developing a brand...

medesignz
As my band - The Malloys - have not done anything in almost a year, I feel its time to look for something new to dip my creative brush into.

My idea is to create a band, but only by creating the brand for the web. Make sense?

I'm into marketing, and if it were possible that would be my career, but until that happens, as a hobby it shall go.

Have you got any tips, tutorials, suggestions, questions that you feel would help me creating a buzz, without there being a single note played.

Anyone out there want to hire me as a freelance marketer? HAHA

I know, I know, this shouldnt really be in the general section, but more Marketing/Advertising/Design but I may not restrict this to the web Very Happy
goutha
It makes sense to me. Youtube and Facebook are your best friends.
medesignz
agreed... although youtube would require some sort of music though, no? Laughing
ninjakannon
A brand is a distinguishable corporate entity, a good brand will be widely recognised. Recognition comes with popularity. Generally speaking then, I suppose the pre-requisite for this is having a good product or service; this leads to a spread of public awareness.

However, good marketing can bypass popularity and go straight to recognition. You need an easy-to-recognise corporate identity (name, logo, slogan, sound or song, colour scheme and perhaps an associated image or video).

If you've got all these all set then the next step would be putting the brand in the public eye. Yes, of course you should get Facebook, Twitter etc. but that's not enough because people won't find you. Without a budget all I can really think of is viral marketing.

This is all pretty obvious though, really, so I'm not sure this will be of any use.
medesignz
@ninjakannon great post Very Happy

unfortunately there is no budget... so a viralling i shall go haha
ankitdatashn
medesignz wrote:

Yes viralling has a huge potential...
medesignz
is better viral funny or better viral clever?
ninjakannon
medesignz wrote:
is better viral funny or better viral clever?

I would say it's not so clear cut.

If a funny video appears to potentially be in some way "fake", is too forced or doesn't quite hit the mark it probably won't take off. That said, interest can be generated if it is unclear whether the content is real or not.

If you're not going for funny, people will need to be intrigued or otherwise very interested by some aspect of the video. Achieving this is a huge challenge for anybody.

A combination of the two is also possible: "That's hilarious! What were they even doing?"

I'm just coming up with this on the spot from my experience on the internet and my understanding of people. I would say there are more funny viral videos than any other sort, but let's not forget popping popcorn with mobile phones and similar.
deanhills
medesignz wrote:

Sorry, I'm a bit dense with this, however, exactly what does viral marketing entail? How does one do viral marketing? Smile
ninjakannon
deanhills wrote:
Sorry, I'm a bit dense with this, however, exactly what does viral marketing entail? How does one do viral marketing? Smile

No one knows everything!

When something "goes viral" online, it's being passed around very quickly amongst a large group of people. The content will appear (and reappear) on popular websites and become a talking point. Often remixes, re-uploads, spoofs, 'shops and remakes will arise within a short period of time.

The idea of viral marketing is to exploit the frenzy of interest for personal gain. You create some content which, for whatever reason, spreads around the internet, viewed by millions of people from across the globe. This has a low production cost and, more crucially, doesn't cost any more after release.

It's likely to take a lot of effort to create awareness, and it's not easy to find something that takes off, but get it right and the exposure is enormous.
deanhills
Thanks ninjakannon. I think I got it. I may have seen plenty of that in the links when I do my searches online. Interesting idea however. I could come up with a special formula for losing weight, and then start posting all over the Internet, about a special kind of apple that has special ingredients that revs up the metabolism, write a long story about that. Then have a Website somewhere full of freebie literature, all leading to the one downloadable e-book that eventually they would be dying to buy for not 200, not 150, not 90, not 50, but 39 dollars. Maybe I should work on a project like this for the summer, could be fun. Smile
jmlworld
I have tried to build an online brand and I can tell you that this needs a certain effort and to put huge part of your valuable time on it. As others suggested, social media such us YouTube, Flickr, Facebook and Twitter would help you get noticed in a matter of months.

Also you can make sure not to start several projects at once, you'll lose time and will gain none.
ankitdatashn
deanhills wrote:
medesignz wrote:

Although you have got an answer but I will clear it more: Viral Campaign is any campaign which for it's success depends of people passing it rather then money, for example on site like orkut and FB there are some funny videos(parody) we encounter made on old movies etc, these kinds fall in virals. There is a site called C2W that makes these kind of Virals.