FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virtual Stock Exchange

[FuN]goku
So, for my economics class, our teacher is going to be getting us to do an activity online at
http://vse.marketwatch.com/ , basically, we'd have a competition between everyone in the class to see who can get the most money by semesters end.

He said we probably won't start it until sometime next month, but I like to get ahead of myself sometimes.

My question is, what kind of stocks should I buy? Also, is there any other useful tips you guys can give me? The only real thing I know (from playing world of warcraft and dealing with their economy) , is buy low, sell high . lol

But, yeah, any tips you can give me would be cool.
MYP415
People do this for a living and spend hours and hours researching companies to figure out what stocks to buy and not buy (and even then, many of them lose money.) Do some research on companies and what they are working on as well as what sectors may be hot heading into the future. Estimate changes in investor confidence to the best of your ability and buy/sell based on that.

A very important factor in this is also if you are looking to be a long-term trader or a short-term one (which in this case may depend on how long the period of the competition is.)
hunnyhiteshseth
One strategy which I follow is to short sell stocks which are at 52 week high and buy stocks at 52 week low and buy/sell them when I am making a decent profit. This strrategy works great for short term profits.

For longer term view you can use ratios like P/B ratio or P/E ratio.

If you still have time you can look at underlying fundamentals of the company. For example, if a company is going to launch a new project and you expect that project to give profit then you may want to buy that stock.
TEReview
I like to invest now that I am layed off I do alot more. Typically I invest on the TSX-V.
k_s_baskar
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
One strategy which I follow is to short sell stocks which are at 52 week high and buy stocks at 52 week low and buy/sell them when I am making a decent profit. This strrategy works great for short term profits.

For longer term view you can use ratios like P/B ratio or P/E ratio.

If you still have time you can look at underlying fundamentals of the company. For example, if a company is going to launch a new project and you expect that project to give profit then you may want to buy that stock.

Short selling shares is possible only for intraday. long term short is possible in F&O which force us huge investment and risk.
tunitchat
i dont understand