FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Obama Announces $8 Billion for New Nuclear Power Plants

coolclay
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8518670.stm
Well Obama did it again, giving out more money that we don't even have.

I have mixed feelings on the topic of Nuclear Power though. I am glad that he made this decision I am certainly in favor of Nuclear power, but at the same time I think other issues related to Nuclear power needed to be tackled before we expand. We still have no permanent solution for Nuclear waste, and I think we need to figure this out ASAP. I think a recycling program is the most logical solution to get the most power out of the uranium as possible, and we most certainly need to finely open the Yucca Mountain repository, or at least make a short term storage site there, while it is completed.

Thanks to democrats such as Harry Reid ("Yucca Mountain is dead. It'll never happen.") who have fought the Yucca Mountain project tooth and nail the permanent repository may not be opened until 2017 or maybe even never.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
We still have no permanent solution for Nuclear waste, and I think we need to figure this out ASAP. I think a recycling program is the most logical solution to get the most power out of the uranium as possible, and we most certainly need to finely open the Yucca Mountain repository, or at least make a short term storage site there, while it is completed.
I totally agree, before they start with any new nuclear stations, they need to clean up the old ones that are no longer in use, and they have to have a recycling and waste storage programme in place first. $8bn (5bn) of federal loan guarantees don't really sound that much though, perhaps just enough to give Obama a reason for a "marketing type" Press Release to illustrate his contribution in creating new jobs? Rolling Eyes
Voodoocat
I am in favor of the idea. My understanding is that the Federal government is offering loan guarantees, not money (well, not unless Georgia Power defaults....). The Georgia Public Service Commission has giving permission for Georgia Power to increase energy fees now to begin paying for the nuclear plant well in advance of construction. This should offer further security that the loan guarantees will not be used.
Nick2008
I also have mixed feelings here. I am happy that nuclear energy is being proposed, but in all out reality... $8 billion to spend on construction and more $$$ after that for maintenance and human resources is ermm... well, not that we haven't spent a lot of money we didn't have before! Laughing

Wee.. I feel like we're all swimming in money, though I heard there was a thing called a "debt clock". Razz