FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Camera Internships for a graduate filmmaker

rogue_skydragon
Hey y'all

I'm going to be graduating from the University of California, Santa Barbara this June with a BA in Film and Media Studies, and it's only just hit me that I will have to get down and dirty with the filmmaking industry very soon. Right now, I'm concerned with doing basic networking and "getting my foot in the door" as they say. I have some considerable experience as a cinematographer on several student shorts, and so it's my intention to make my move into the industry under lighting or camera jobs, whether they are paid or unpaid (preferably paid).

I'm planning on applying to places like Mole-Richardson, Panavision, Arri, and Steadicam for internships. And I was wondering if anyone here on the forums had any words of wisdom for me when it comes to applying for camera jobs in the LA film industry.
jwellsy
Check out the last few posts in this thread.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-113950.html
4K resolution with layered circular polarized images is the future. Now is the time to become an industry expert and leader in that realm of specialized video.
rogue_skydragon
Thanks for that! Filmmaking at 4K digital is indeed an impressive leap in the entertainment biz. With cameras like the Red and the latest JVCs doing such a great job in the commercial industries, I can only hope to see that technology get better in the future.

But despite how much digital imaging is changing the industry, I'm still a big fan of shooting on film. I've shot several 16mm shorts, and its been a dream of mine for a while to eventually shoot on 35mm film, which still retains higher resolution, latitude, and shadow detail than 4k digital images can offer.