FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Yerba Mate

rogue_skydragon
It's a type of hot tea drink that's popular in South American countries like Uruguay and Argentina, and is considered an antioxidant good for cleansing the blood stream. I've grown to like it. I was wondering if anyone here liked drinking yerba mate, too?
deanhills
rogue_skydragon wrote:
It's a type of hot tea drink that's popular in South American countries like Uruguay and Argentina, and is considered an antioxidant good for cleansing the blood stream. I've grown to like it. I was wondering if anyone here liked drinking yerba mate, too?
I've seen boxes of the stuff on sale, but don't know how one would prepare this drink? Do you drink it, and if you do, how does one prepare it?
Crinoid
From what I remember, dry mate looks like a large chunks of bulk tea. Same procedure: cover it by almost boiling water, let it sit for a minute, then drink. Only special tools are made for this, metallic tulip-shaped drinking vessel with also metallic tube with holes at the bottom part of it, playing role of tea strainer. This tube is used for both: mixing and drinking, as through cocktail straw.

Plays role of a hot morning tea, especially if you spend a lot of time outside or in unheated rooms.

A little bit harsh for me, prefer tea.

Skydragon, did you noticed if it influences the mood, like very mild tranquilizer?.
Maybe it just me, coffee makes me sleepy.
deanhills
Crinoid wrote:
Maybe it just me, coffee makes me sleepy.
You must be very unique. Coffee is supposed to have caffeine in it, and most people can't sleep if they drink too many cups of coffee, or coffee after lunch time. Some people get real hyper and on edge when they drink coffee.
microkosm
Does yerba mate contain caffeine? Coffee is too acidic for me and tea just doesn't cut it in the morning.
natilovesmike
Hey! I'm from Argentina!...

The way you make mate...well you need a special gore type container and a special kind of straw. You put the leaves in the gore and add hot water too it, then drink it through the straw (which prevents the leaves to actually get into your mouth). You can add sugar if you want to.

If you can't find all the things to make it...in some stores you can get it in tea bags...that's what we call "mate cocido" in argentina.

The drink is a social drink...and the mate gore is passed around the table and shared....yeah...everyone drinks from the same gore and uses them same straw...
rogue_skydragon
Yeah, like natilovesmike said, mate is drink which can be shared among others for a more social activity. It does contain caffeine and may keep you up for a while (at least when I drink it, I have a hard time falling asleep).

Mate is traditionally drunk from out of a gourd, kinda like a hollowed out shell. The metallic filter-straw, or bombilla, is what you sip with. Some people like to drink it on the go, so they'll have a thermos filled with hot water to carry around with them. That way they can fill up their gourd whenever they'd like. Oh and btw, the mate leaves can retain their flavor for a while, so about 5 or 6 refills with hot water would do you just fine with a gourd 2/3 filled with Mate.

It's great stuff...it is a bit harsh at first. I like to put either sugar, honey, or nutella!
couriero
I got Yerba thrill from my Argentinian and Paraguay friends while working in Spain with them.
For them it is kind of ritual or as said before social and cultural thing.

About Yerba :

Stimulates central ,improves concentration,

-lowers feeling of hunger

-cleans organism

-lowers bad cholesterol level

-witamins A B1 B2 C E

-antireumatical

-helps people who suffer from alergies

-minerals Fe Na Ca Mg Si F P

-antioxydant
natilovesmike
Nutella!!?!?! wow, I have never heard of that. I usually like my mate pure, no sugar or any other sweetener in it. But it is an acquired taste for sure.

Nutella...I will have to tell that to my friends in Argentina and see what they think!
rogue_skydragon
natilovesmike wrote:
Nutella!!?!?! wow, I have never heard of that. I usually like my mate pure, no sugar or any other sweetener in it. But it is an acquired taste for sure.

Nutella...I will have to tell that to my friends in Argentina and see what they think!

LOL. Yup, Nutella. A friend and I tried it while I was studying abroad in London, and it's become kind of an inside thing since then Smile