FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Wordpress - Akismet not working





saratdear
Hi,

For the last 4-5 days I have been noticing I have to approve my blog comments myself. Its pretty much dead; but I still get lots of spam, so I go and manually check to find whether any genuine comments are there.

When I checked the Akismet configuration page, it says :

My Akismet page wrote:


WordPress.com API Key

The key below was previously validated but a connection to akismet.com can not be established at this time. Please check your server configuration.

XXXXXXXXXXXX (My key)

Server Connectivity

Unable to find Akismet servers.

A DNS problem or firewall is preventing all access from your web server to Akismet.com. Akismet cannot work correctly until this is fixed. Please contact your web host or firewall administrator and give them this information about Akismet and firewalls.

Last checked 1 min ago.



And "give them this information about Akismet and firewalls" points to this - http://blog.akismet.com/akismet-hosting-faq/


So...any idea what this could be? Sorry if this has already been posted. I suppose its got something to do with the recent downtime?

Sarat
jmlworld
saratdear wrote:
Hi,

For the last 4-5 days I have been noticing I have to approve my blog comments myself. Its pretty much dead; but I still get lots of spam, so I go and manually check to find whether any genuine comments are there.

When I checked the Akismet configuration page, it says :

My Akismet page wrote:


WordPress.com API Key

The key below was previously validated but a connection to akismet.com can not be established at this time. Please check your server configuration.

XXXXXXXXXXXX (My key)

Server Connectivity

Unable to find Akismet servers.

A DNS problem or firewall is preventing all access from your web server to Akismet.com. Akismet cannot work correctly until this is fixed. Please contact your web host or firewall administrator and give them this information about Akismet and firewalls.

Last checked 1 min ago.



And "give them this information about Akismet and firewalls" points to this - http://blog.akismet.com/akismet-hosting-faq/


So...any idea what this could be? Sorry if this has already been posted. I suppose its got something to do with the recent downtime?

Sarat


This problem appeared when server2/3 were upgraded to PHP5.3. Bondings is already on it and will move the accounts to a new server shortly. I already found this problem and turned on the comment moderation so I can delete the spam comments manually until the problem is resolved.

See here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-944838.html#944838
loyal
jmlworld wrote:
saratdear wrote:
Hi,

For the last 4-5 days I have been noticing I have to approve my blog comments myself. Its pretty much dead; but I still get lots of spam, so I go and manually check to find whether any genuine comments are there.

When I checked the Akismet configuration page, it says :

My Akismet page wrote:


WordPress.com API Key

The key below was previously validated but a connection to akismet.com can not be established at this time. Please check your server configuration.

XXXXXXXXXXXX (My key)

Server Connectivity

Unable to find Akismet servers.

A DNS problem or firewall is preventing all access from your web server to Akismet.com. Akismet cannot work correctly until this is fixed. Please contact your web host or firewall administrator and give them this information about Akismet and firewalls.

Last checked 1 min ago.



And "give them this information about Akismet and firewalls" points to this - http://blog.akismet.com/akismet-hosting-faq/


So...any idea what this could be? Sorry if this has already been posted. I suppose its got something to do with the recent downtime?

Sarat


This problem appeared when server2/3 were upgraded to PHP5.3. Bondings is already on it and will move the accounts to a new server shortly. I already found this problem and turned on the comment moderation so I can delete the spam comments manually until the problem is resolved.

See here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-944838.html#944838


Oh thanks for the info. I'm having the same problem. I didn't realise how effective askimet was, but now i have 30 comments that i need to look through.

Peace.
saratdear
@jmlworld - Thanks for letting me know. It is such a pain to go through so many comments, but that shows at least bots like my abandoned blog. Smile
GB
I see this thread was active quite awhile ago, but I'm now getting this message. Is there anything I can do?

thanks!
truespeed
My askimet isn't working either,also my wordpress isn't showing the update that it should be showing. (I have wordpress on another host and it was updated a few weeks back)
Bondings
What about now, there might have been an issue with connections considering account creation wasn't working either for a while - after a restart and some time it worked again, so maybe akismet too?
truespeed


""" Theres what it is saying with my askimet.

The news bit isn't updating.



And it still isn't telling me to update my wordpress.
Bondings
I found the following on WordPress:
Quote:
Download and install this plugin manually: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/core-control/ Once you've activated it, Load the "Core Control" settings page and activate the "HTTP Module". Go to the new tab fore the "HTTP Module" and test cURL. You will most likely receive the following error message "An Error has occured: name lookup timed out" Now click the "Disable Transport" link in for cURL. You should now be able install plugins and plugin updates.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-run-auto-upgrade

Maybe this will help?
Vanilla
Bondings wrote:
I found the following on WordPress:
Quote:
Download and install this plugin manually: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/core-control/ Once you've activated it, Load the "Core Control" settings page and activate the "HTTP Module". Go to the new tab fore the "HTTP Module" and test cURL. You will most likely receive the following error message "An Error has occured: name lookup timed out" Now click the "Disable Transport" link in for cURL. You should now be able install plugins and plugin updates.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-run-auto-upgrade

Maybe this will help?


Hi Bondings, thanks for the help!

I was browsing through WP forums and found this plugin. Now I got my Akismet to work properly and I can use the automatic upgrade again (using Core Control), but I still get the "RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: name lookup timed out" message.

Additionally, my Jetpack plugin is returning this error message:

Quote:
Error Details: The Jetpack server was unable to communicate with your site [HTTP 503]. If you are hosted with Go Daddy, they are aware of this issue, and we at WordPress.com are working with them to fix it. If your site is hosted elsewhere, please contact Jetpack Support: http://jetpack.me/support/


I don't know if this has something to do with Frihost Servers. Just trying to figure out what's wrong. Smile
futurcat
truespeed wrote:


""" Theres what it is saying with my askimet.

The news bit isn't updating.



And it still isn't telling me to update my wordpress.


Did it fail from one day to the other. Mine is still working. I will now update to 2.5.5 (Akismet).
crystalkey
I moved my blog here from the wordpress.com servers. I have no coments awaiting moderation. It's probably a result of the move and the new domain for the blog. I'm getting none of the update errors that others have been reporting here on Wordpress. Auto updates are working fine for me with JetPack and Askimet updating normally.
truespeed
Bondings wrote:
I found the following on WordPress:
Quote:
Download and install this plugin manually: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/core-control/ Once you've activated it, Load the "Core Control" settings page and activate the "HTTP Module". Go to the new tab fore the "HTTP Module" and test cURL. You will most likely receive the following error message "An Error has occured: name lookup timed out" Now click the "Disable Transport" link in for cURL. You should now be able install plugins and plugin updates.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-run-auto-upgrade

Maybe this will help?


I logged in just now and it finally had the update wordpress now link,i haven't done anything to force the change,it done it by itself.

All updated and working fine now. Smile
abhizz
truespeed wrote:
Bondings wrote:
I found the following on WordPress:
Quote:
Download and install this plugin manually: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/core-control/ Once you've activated it, Load the "Core Control" settings page and activate the "HTTP Module". Go to the new tab fore the "HTTP Module" and test cURL. You will most likely receive the following error message "An Error has occured: name lookup timed out" Now click the "Disable Transport" link in for cURL. You should now be able install plugins and plugin updates.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-run-auto-upgrade

Maybe this will help?


I logged in just now and it finally had the update wordpress now link,i haven't done anything to force the change,it done it by itself.

All updated and working fine now. Smile


same!! no problem, now it deleting all spam comments
Related topics
Best Blogging software
Kiwi Theme for WordPress
How To Show WordPress In Root
Need help: Error in Wordpress file
Help me Build Wordpress blog for me
I can't connect to Akismet
Wordpress subdomains not working
Spam protection for contact form?
Advise easy CMS for particular task
Wordpress is awesome
Wordpress+Akismet en Frihost
Siete plugins recomendables para Wordpress
Want to learn WordPress Plugins development
Wordpress / Akismet Issue
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.