FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blacks Burg Virginia

yagnyavalkya
How is the city Blacks burg in Virginia
How is it in March
What is the cost of living there
ocalhoun
Right now it's covered in snow. ^.^
That's very unusual for that area in this time of year though.

I'm not familiar with the town of Blacksburg myself, but I have been to Virginia.
It's beautiful country in the Smoky Mountains (which are relatively low, rounded, and tree covered, with lots of natural springs.) And, usually the climate there is relatively mild in all seasons.
(Also, as a bonus, it's pretty much untouched by natural disasters; too far inland for tidal waves or hurricanes, the Smoky Mountains are too old to produce earthquakes or volcanoes and not steep or snowy enough for avalanches, the forests are too moist for major fires, and tornadoes/major storms are very rare.)

As for the cost of living there, I'd put it at a medium level, compared to other areas in the US. Being near the more heavily populated East coast, it isn't as low as Midwest prices, but since it isn't near any major vacation spots or big cities, it isn't super-expensive the way those places are.

Depending on the town itself, I'd highly recommend it. Given freedom from needing to work to support myself, a small ranch in that region of the country would be high on my list of desirable places to live.

yagnyavalkya
How is living in VA does it get cold in March and May?
yagnyavalkya
ocalhoun wrote:
Right now it's covered in snow. ^.^
That's very unusual for that area in this time of year though.

I'm not familiar with the town of Blacksburg myself, but I have been to Virginia.
It's beautiful country in the Smoky Mountains (which are relatively low, rounded, and tree covered, with lots of natural springs.) And, usually the climate there is relatively mild in all seasons.
(Also, as a bonus, it's pretty much untouched by natural disasters; too far inland for tidal waves or hurricanes, the Smoky Mountains are too old to produce earthquakes or volcanoes and not steep or snowy enough for avalanches, the forests are too moist for major fires, and tornadoes/major storms are very rare.)

As for the cost of living there, I'd put it at a medium level, compared to other areas in the US. Being near the more heavily populated East coast, it isn't as low as Midwest prices, but since it isn't near any major vacation spots or big cities, it isn't super-expensive the way those places are.

Depending on the town itself, I'd highly recommend it. Given freedom from needing to work to support myself, a small ranch in that region of the country would be high on my list of desirable places to live.

Thanks for the informative reply
yagnyavalkya
The picutre is wonderful I guess it is a peaceful place and spring has sprung and the summers will not be that hot?
ocalhoun
yagnyavalkya
Thanks that is useful information
What would it cost for a single room apartment furnished for a month near the campus?
ocalhoun
Let me google that for you
yagnyavalkya
How is Blacksburg in summer
yagnyavalkya
What about rainfall in summer in Blacksburg?
yagnyavalkya
ocalhoun wrote:

Do we umbralles in June July in Blacksburg
yagnyavalkya
Blacksburg is fine
fukara
good
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
Blacksburg is fine
I suggest you go for a short holiday first, as how you imagine the weather to be and what it will look like, could also be relative to how it is where you are now. The humidity may also be higher in Blacksburg relative to where you are living. Also you should check how high it is situated above sea level.

For example, I did enormous research before I moved to the UAE, yet I was completely surprised. It was a total different experience from what I expected. For example I thought the dress code would be very strict, which it is not for expats, that all expats would be living in compounds, which they are not, the exceptional high quality of the high ways completely blew me away, all the highways are lit, shopping hours are from 10 to 11 at night, including weekends. People work long hours here and are serious traders.
adri
I just looked at the prices of some houses in Blacksburg. Houses look pretty cheap compared to houses that you would buy in my neighbourhood. Smile About 200 yards from where I live, there is a building lot of around 1000m^2 (= 0.26 acres) for sale for 340.000€ (=460.000$).

And Blacksburg looks like a really nice city/town to live in. Smile With some nature not too far away. Smile

adri
standready
yagnyavalkya wrote:
What would it cost for a single room apartment furnished for a month near the campus?

From this statement, it appears you are possibly going to go to school there. Here is the town's website: http://www.blacksburg.va.us/ I would suggest contacting them. They can answer your questions far more accurately.
deanhills
standready wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:

From this statement, it appears you are possibly going to go to school there. Here is the town's website: http://www.blacksburg.va.us/ I would suggest contacting them. They can answer your questions far more accurately.
I would tend to check the newspaper classified sections for a feel of what is available and what the cost is. Like this one:
http://www.topix.com/apartments/blacksburg-va

Or if you know which college you want to attend, they may have a Website for shared accommodation. May be an idea to make enquiries with regard to accommodation as they must be receiving many enquiries from students that come from abroad.
gverutes
Go to Mt. Rogers (nearby). Tallest mountain in the state of Virginia.
ocalhoun
I'm actually considering moving there... but Virginia Tech doesn't seem to be my kind of school, and it's the only show in town.

There are places in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho that are better for me.