FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to convert screen to touchscreen

rjraaz
is there any way to convert my lcd screen to a touch screen
Marcuzzo
you are joking right? Laughing

EDIT: well I'l be....
there is a way...
but you would need to buy a kit with some sort of a frame with a film that has touch sensors .

http://www.touchscreens.com/products-addon.html
rjraaz
Marcuzzo wrote:
you are joking right? Laughing

EDIT: well I'l be....
there is a way...
but you would need to buy a kit with some sort of a frame with a film that has touch sensors .

http://www.touchscreens.com/products-addon.html

no i am not joking.

thanks for your suggestion but i dont want readymade option, actually my brother want to make it his own for project
coolclay
Then no. I am pretty sure this technology is extremely difficult/impossible to make without an electronics factory and machines. In addition if you were actually able to make a panel to cover the screen the is able to produce a varied electronic pulse based upon location, you would still need to write the complicated software that would convert the signals into movement on the screen.
Jean-Clod
coolclay wrote:
Then no. I am pretty sure this technology is extremely difficult/impossible to make without an electronics factory and machines. In addition if you were actually able to make a panel to cover the screen the is able to produce a varied electronic pulse based upon location, you would still need to write the complicated software that would convert the signals into movement on the screen.

Agreed. Forget about that.
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
Then no. I am pretty sure this technology is extremely difficult/impossible to make without an electronics factory and machines.

WRONG!

You need only be more creative!

Use the small optical portion of a laser mouse, and install that on the tip of a pen.
That will create something like this device: i-pen
The optical mouse parts will be able to use a flat screen as a surface.
You'd have to be careful to always start the pen at the current cursor location, and you'd have to disable the OS's cursor acceleration. (Most OS's will not move the cursor 1-for-1 with mouse movement by default. They make the cursor move further the faster you move the mouse. Linux can disable this behavior, I don't know if windows can.)
Jean-Clod
ocalhoun wrote:
Use the small optical portion of a laser mouse, and install that on the tip of a pen.
The optical mouse parts will be able to use a flat screen as a surface.

Well, that sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if rjraaz wanted a pen; you know, multitouch, gestures, etc..
But even if your idea might be a bit difficult to put in practice, it may be a cheap and efficient way to have a "touchscreen" - and -even better- it could work on any screen!
soljarag
you wanted to convert a lcd to one with multithouch?????

dude, your wayyyyy over your head...... The pen idea will be your best bet if you want to do it yourself....

there is NO way you can make a multitouch screen unless you are some computer engineer... and if you are, you wouldnt be asking for help on frihost Smile
shenyl
Consider using a digitize touch pad - connected via the USB port, and serve as a digitizer - you can then touch on the smaller size touch pad, as well as use a pen. It works well for presentation and discussions, where you can write or scratch on the touch pad.

Hope this adds another more practical solution.

With regards.
PureReborn
If you want to turn it into a touchscreen like the iPhone, that's pretty much impossible without proper manufacture technology since you have to change the whole technology to accommodate for it.

If you want to have a simple point and click for your screen then the easiest way is to use webcams (note more than 1) and use software to fake touch screen. Basically the webcams will calculate where you're in contact with the screen and tell the computer to fake an input at that coordinate. You can see an example of this method here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUy8j4TMH2M

They did it with off the shelf stuff using only 100ish.
hersandal
It would be better just to buy new touchscreen monitor on your local computer store. then your problem will be solve. just for a thought.
Ankhanu
What you're essentially asking is on the scale of converting a CRT monitor to an LCD. A touch screen LCD is NOT the same sort of technology as a standard LCD, the technology is simply different; it can't be done without some sort of hardware add on or jury rigged concept like ocalhoun suggested.
Da Rossa
Sorry to interrupt with a non contributive post but I still can't believe this topic is serious.
Helios
I'd look into capacitive touch sensing, could give you some good ideas. I totally agree with ocalhoun here, everything is limited by your creativity (and money?). It is possible in my opinion, just not cheap and not as good as a ready touchscreen module/kit.
I won't waste my time explaining, because I don't know your brother's level of knowledge in electronics...
coolclay
Ah yes, you got me there Ocalhoun!
soljarag
well dude, I found your solution!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ&feature=PlayList&p=35F2D22F11135CF4&index=2&playnext=2

all you need to do is buy a Wii remote, and build a LED light .,.. and its multi-touch!

I am amazed it works this good....
coolclay
Holy smokes, your not kidding that's really impressive! I am still wondering about the Wiimote to PC connection, but I guess if you buy the software it explains it.
soljarag
the software is free.... http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

the wii remote connects via bluetooth...
slashnburn99
That is awesome,

Use an on screen keyboard and the keyboard is no more also
hersandal
Genius are always ain't serious, so if you have this kind of project you can't be serious about it. All you can do is keep going to make it work.
gangi
If its your first project using touch sensors I recommend you to start with a touchpad instead of a touchscreen. I never did but I've seen some people doing touchpads using PIC microcontrolers from microchip.com. Almost everybody starts with PIC microcontrolers for their first projects.
emanuel2
ocalhoun wrote:

WRONG!

You need only be more creative!

I agree Smile

for example it could also work with microsofts Kinect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect). Its more or less a 3D real-time scanner (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRPEns8MS2o ), which allows you to control anything with the right drivers and software. So why not for simulating a touch display Smile But it will need some overwhelming programming effort.