FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


I want to downgrade vista to xp





Denvis
I have vista on my old laptop and I'm having a lot of problems with it and I just wanna delete everything and start fresh with an XP. I bought the laptop with vista however I do have an XP disk. What would I need to do to ensure the downgrade will work as intended?
badai
if your notebook come with vista, you should upgrade it to 7.

if you want to use xp, all you need is xp drivers. since your laptop is "old" (which probably mean you bought it when vista just came out), it should have xp drivers on it's website.
Denvis
Same deal if I want to upgrade to Windows 7? I'm on my Compaq CQ40 1104AX at the moment. All I'd need to do is to back up my files, install the OS and then install the drivers?
badai
for 7, no need to do anything. just install it over vista and it will upgrade everything. vista driver will work on 7. some software that microsoft think it sucks will be disabled. but i never heard any hardware (that are supported on vista) will have problem. the vista driver just work on 7.

just to be on the safe side, you should backup first in case it screw up.
Marcuzzo
Denvis wrote:
I have vista on my old laptop and I'm having a lot of problems with it and I just wanna delete everything and start fresh with an XP. I bought the laptop with vista however I do have an XP disk. What would I need to do to ensure the downgrade will work as intended?


I wouldn't upgrade.
upgrading has been messy for a lot of my friends.
I would suggest to format either way.
and since you have an XP disc... install XP, and if you want to have windows 7, buy a windows 7 disk and install that one.

but for the love of god... don't upgrade
Denvis
Marcuzzo wrote:
Denvis wrote:
I have vista on my old laptop and I'm having a lot of problems with it and I just wanna delete everything and start fresh with an XP. I bought the laptop with vista however I do have an XP disk. What would I need to do to ensure the downgrade will work as intended?


I wouldn't upgrade.
upgrading has been messy for a lot of my friends.
I would suggest to format either way.
and since you have an XP disc... install XP, and if you want to have windows 7, buy a windows 7 disk and install that one.

but for the love of god... don't upgrade


When I meant upgrade, I just meant changing from vista to w7 lol nothing to do with hardware. haha It's a laptop so I wouldn't know where to begin !

badai wrote:
for 7, no need to do anything. just install it over vista and it will upgrade everything. vista driver will work on 7. some software that microsoft think it sucks will be disabled. but i never heard any hardware (that are supported on vista) will have problem. the vista driver just work on 7.

just to be on the safe side, you should backup first in case it screw up.


Wow, sounds simple. I've got 3 sets of drivers Xp/Vista/W7 so if all fails I'll just go back to vista.
Marcuzzo
Denvis wrote:
When I meant upgrade, I just meant changing from vista to w7 lol nothing to do with hardware. haha It's a laptop so I wouldn't know where to begin !


I wasn't talking about hardware...
what I mean with upgrade is this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade-option.aspx
Fire Boar
Backup your data first. Then stick the CD in and boot up your computer. You have to make sure that the BIOS is configured to prioritize CD before your hard disk when booting up, you can do this usually by pressing F2 as soon as you switch it on, when the manufacturer's logo appears. F8 or Delete are other common keys for this. The BIOS is a basic keyboard-navigable screen. Just find the option to change the boot priority and do it, then choose the "save and exit" option which will reboot your PC.

If that worked, provided you have the CD in the tray when you boot up you will see the Windows XP installation. Just follow the steps to format your disk and install. Also, get some coffee because it takes AGES.
Denvis
I just got it done last night. I didn't upgrade but instead I deleted all my partitions and then added XP, installed all the drives and personally, it looked really bad. I didn't like it so what I did was went out bought myself W7 x86 32bit and installed that, installed the drives and now it's working fine.

This might just be me but I don't like the way W7's taskbar.
Marcuzzo
Denvis wrote:
This might just be me but I don't like the way W7's taskbar.


yeah it needs a little getting used to
Related topics
Windows XP Vs. Windows Vista?
Do you guys use Window Vista
windows XP or swap to VISTA
Windows Vienna / Windows 7
going back to XP
Downgrading Vista PC to XP
XP v/s Vista v/s Mac OS v/s Linux
Vista. Interactive Services
downgrading to XP
Evil Microsoft .... New Laptops only come with Vista ...
To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?
VISTA VS. XP
Stranged thing ever happend on your pc
Building new computer - Vista or XP?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.