FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pictures of your instruments

Ankhanu
I love musical gear and play a couple instruments... and I love to see what instruments other people have. So, show me what you've got!

They don't have to be expensive. They don't have to be pretty. They just have to be important to you, and help you make music.

I'll start with some shots of the guitar I bought after Christmas, a MIJ Fender '66 Classic Jaguar

zbale
Nice! What camera (and lens) did you use?

I think the area of focus is almost too narrow on some of the pics (though I guess it's intended).
Ankhanu
Nikon D80, most of them were with a 50mm f1.8, some of them (the really narrow focus) I had that lens on a reversing ring, and the body shot I used the 18-135mm kit lens. Yeah, I agree that the DOF is a little narrow on a couple (ie. the contour body decal), but for the most part it's intentional otherwise. I tend to work camera-in-hand in relatively low light so I use a low F-stop, reducing DOF, but also allowing a greater shutter speed to reduce camera shake. For most of what I like to shoot the narrow DOF works for what I want, but not always Smile
zbale
Great, thanks for the details. The look of those pics is pretty cool and "professional" in any case. Keep posting!
Ankhanu
Thanks, zbale, I will. Just haven't gotten back home since taking those ones to take shots of any of my others Razz Get a 4-day weekend this week as a result, though! Smile

Anyone else got some nice instruments to share? I wanna see 'em!
gverutes
As a musician I can honestly say that it doesn't matter what gear you have...all that matters is how well you play and the experience you have. I have seen some of the poorest musicians who know how to play the best music on the crappiest instruments. On the other hand, I have seen these "gear head" musicians with the greatest setup and they stink! While a good guitar (or whatever you play is helpful), what really matters most is your experience, listening to others and listening to good music.
Ankhanu
gverutes wrote:
As a musician I can honestly say that it doesn't matter what gear you have...all that matters is how well you play and the experience you have. I have seen some of the poorest musicians who know how to play the best music on the crappiest instruments. On the other hand, I have seen these "gear head" musicians with the greatest setup and they stink! While a good guitar (or whatever you play is helpful), what really matters most is your experience, listening to others and listening to good music.

Absolutely true.

That said, instruments are also things of beauty (yep, even the cheap or old beat to crap ones). That visual beauty should be shared just as much as the aural beauty. Instruments are all crafted and designed by human imagination, much like the music they help produce and are as much an element of music as the sound itself.

Celebrate the instrument!
liljp617
gverutes wrote:

Agree and disagree. While I'm sure someone like Vai could make a $100 Starter Pack sound okay, it's absolutely not a comparison to what he can do with his real setup. Of course, you couldn't put a brand new player on Vai's gear and expect him to sound good. I agree that music starts with the musician, but the quality of the instrument/amp/etc. is more than helpful in my opinion.
Ankhanu
More pictures!! Smile

I'll give a little extra push with a couple macros of my Godin Exit 22; a fairly cheap, though decent quality guitar. I love the colour of the mahogany body.

liljp617 wrote:
gverutes wrote:

Agree and disagree. While I'm sure someone like Vai could make a $100 Starter Pack sound okay, it's absolutely not a comparison to what he can do with his real setup. Of course, you couldn't put a brand new player on Vai's gear and expect him to sound good. I agree that music starts with the musician, but the quality of the instrument/amp/etc. is more than helpful in my opinion.

It's less quality so much as application. I mean, look at the grunge period; sure a lot of those guys were using high end, but cheap (because they were unpopular) gear... but a lot used crap gear too, but could make it sound great. Not great in the traditional sense, but great in the context of the sound they were trying to produce.

I'm sure that a starter Strat pack could sound pretty damn awesome in the hands of the members of Sonic Youth. It'd sound pretty mediocre in the hands of Vai, or Clapton (tone wise), as they have more classic applications of technique/style, but in more experimental or lo-fi styles they can be gold!
Ankhanu
Surely others of you love your instruments?

My wife inherited a Rogue mandolin from her father when when he died last summer.

zbale
Superb!

Those are, incidentally, among the best pictures found on this forum... much better than a lot of "what do you think of my pictures" posts...

Keep up with the good work!
Ankhanu
markjam83 wrote:
Hello Friends...
Really Nice picture ...!
I'm left handed person and i like play guitar.It plays a large part in modern popular music.

Sweet Smile You should take some pics of your leftie for us to see. I'd love to see your guitar Razz

Here's a shot I took last night of my super cheap Denver ukulele. I got it for about $25 and it is a piece of garbage Razz BUT, it's the only ukulele I have, so it's what I play. Unfortunately the craftsmanship is really poor and chords aren't in tune if the strings are in tune when open Razz Makes playing difficult! Despite its problems, ukulele is an awesome fun instrument to play, and I want one that's properly built to enjoy the experience more.

zbale
Ankhanu wrote:
[...] ukulele is an awesome fun instrument to play, and I want one that's properly built to enjoy the experience more.

Is it as versatile as a guitar? or does one feel that one has covered the range of its possibilities pretty quickly?

In what context would you choose a ukulele rather than a guitar? (apart from the obvious advantage of the space it takes)
Ankhanu
zbale wrote:
Is it as versatile as a guitar? or does one feel that one has covered the range of its possibilities pretty quickly?

It doesn't have as many available notes as a guitar, but it is a versatile instrument... really, with ANY instrument, you're only as hampered as your own creativity.

You can chord ukulele, you can pick, you can play rhythm, you can solo... Yeah, like any instrument, it lends itself to certain styles more than others, but, like any instrument, you can break the mold if you try some different techniques. I've seen some pretty awesome videos on youtube of skilled ukulele players playing some rather interesting versions of popular songs from various genres... here, take these examples:
Ukulele weeps by Jake Shimabukuro - While My Guitar Gently Weeps transposed to ukulele
Blitzkreig Bop on ukulele
Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - Shaft
Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - Smells like Teen Spirit
Et cetera.

zbale wrote:
In what context would you choose a ukulele rather than a guitar? (apart from the obvious advantage of the space it takes)

It has a different voice than guitar, and you have to approach it differently, but you can do a lot with it. As you can hear in the clips above, it doesn't resonate as much as a guitar does and has a plunkier tone, but it's fairly pleasant. I don't know why, exactly, but it's just fun. The tuning of the strings is in the same sort of ratio as the 4 high strings of a guitar, generally tuned to GCEA rather than DGBE like on a guitar, so chord shapes are similar, though transposed.

I'm really a bassist (though I haven't posted any pics of my basses yet), and I'll occasionally play bass in a fairly guitar-y style; but the different voice of the bass (even when playing the same fundamental note) gives it a different character and approach to a song... same deal with ukulele; it just changes character. Sometimes that character is appropriate, sometimes not Smile
liljp617