FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tips for a Healthy Brain

Meit
Follow these tips to help keep your brain—and your body—vibrant and healthy throughout your life…

Do:

* Exercise your body regularly and get involved in physically active leisure pursuits
* Keep your mind exercised! Engage in active learning throughout life and pursue new experiences
* Stay socially engaged with friends, family and community groups
* Maintain a positive attitude and a sense of control over your life
* Take steps to manage stress
* Eat a balanced diet, and focus on brain-healthy foods that are rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, and consider taking a multivitamin supplement that includes antioxidants and folate
* Mind your numbers: Lose any extra pounds, lower your cholesterol if it is high, and keep your blood glucose and blood pressure under control
* Get adequate sleep
* Get proper medical attention and treatment for any underlying health problems

Don't:

* Drink to excess, smoke, or use illicit drugs
* Ignore sudden changes in mental status (but don't be overly concerned about normal slips of memory like forgetting names or where you put the keys)
* Avoid going to the doctor if you notice changes in your physical or mental health
* Overlook the possibility of drug interactions that can affect mental functioning, especially if you are taking more than one prescription medication
* Become isolated in your home
* Think you're too old to take up something new!
Crinoid
Happy healthy life is what everyone wants, but not everyone gets.

And this is not only a matter of healthy habits, other factors are involved, like environments, lack of choice or good medical help and treatment, affordability, genetics, and just bad luck.

More a matter of chance, not individual achievement.
(Speaking from experience).
pennylane1284
Maintaining a good oral hygiene can also be good for the brain because periodontal disease has benn found to be linked with dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
LittleBlackKitten
That's all well and good for someone who has a general sense of "good" health, and can walk more than a kilometer, doesn't have a heart condition, and can afford more than junk food...It's not just a "staple" thing, health. It's a grander perspective of "I am alive and can still operate in daily life to some degree", in my opinion. Everyone has some form of medical issues, but for those of us who are so debilitated we can't even have a 9 to 5 or walk much of anywhere, well, then this "health" kick is all relative. I'm alive and I still operate, so therefore I am as healthy as I can be. I don't look like a supermodel, and I don't eat like one, and THANK GOD for that! I don't want to be some anorexic stick eating thin thing; a little meat on the bones is FINE and many men and women need to understand that! I'm not obese, I'm not a thin little thing, I'm HEALTHY.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
That's all well and good for someone who has a general sense of "good" health, and can walk more than a kilometer, doesn't have a heart condition, and can afford more than junk food...It's not just a "staple" thing, health. It's a grander perspective of "I am alive and can still operate in daily life to some degree", in my opinion. Everyone has some form of medical issues, but for those of us who are so debilitated we can't even have a 9 to 5 or walk much of anywhere, well, then this "health" kick is all relative. I'm alive and I still operate, so therefore I am as healthy as I can be. I don't look like a supermodel, and I don't eat like one, and THANK GOD for that! I don't want to be some anorexic stick eating thin thing; a little meat on the bones is FINE and many men and women need to understand that! I'm not obese, I'm not a thin little thing, I'm HEALTHY.
Wonderful posting. I was watching a "Fashion Channel" last night, for lack of anything available to watch except for a Dutch, English/Russian News Channel and Fashion Channel, and noticed how anorexic and bags of bones the models were. They represented the equivalent of "coat hangers" for clothes to me, instead of human beings. Not normal at all. And definitely not healthy role models either.

Best exercise for a healthy brain is probably to use it all the time, and to excercise it by doing jigsaw puzzles for example, work on math problems etc. Also to eat a lot of fish. Fish oil seems to be good for it as well. Smile
menino
Thanks for the tips.
I kind of new about them before but this was a reminder again.

Also for some reason, a lot of people believe that almond nuts in the morning are supposed to help the brain. Just food for thought (pun intended!).
Cliffer
very useful tips in our daily life! good!
deanhills
menino wrote:
Also for some reason, a lot of people believe that almond nuts in the morning are supposed to help the brain.
I heard this one too. Almonds are apparently good for all kinds of things, including the heart:
The World's Healthiest Foods
nigam
thanks for the tip....mine is using my google phone word mix and line of 4 before i go to sleep.
pll
I like the point
DON'T GET ISOLATED IN YOUR HOUSE.

I've got a neighboor that's isolated enough (she seems to see people about once a week only, and some weeks she doesn't even see her friends) and I'm really starting to think that she's becoming crazy.
natilovesmike
That's a nice summary. I once went to a talk from a researcher studying disorders of the brain...like brain degenration because of age. And he said that all the drugs in the world are not as effective as just following those steps you mentioned...He also added that picking your nose is bad... (???) seriously.
deanhills
pll wrote:
I like the point
DON'T GET ISOLATED IN YOUR HOUSE.

I've got a neighboor that's isolated enough (she seems to see people about once a week only, and some weeks she doesn't even see her friends) and I'm really starting to think that she's becoming crazy.
Now that is an excellent point. One has to engage your mind with others as well as take in a variety of mental pursuits outside isolation. Guess Frihost must then be good for our brains? Smile
franzharare
Well I have just read this all of the stuff and I also agree with all of you but according to me there is also some of the tips that will be needed to keep our brain healthy. They are as follows.
- Calm your mind.
- Keep your brain smart.
- Nutrition & Water.
- Physical Exercises.
- Wholesome Sleep.
- Cool the heart.
- Nature.
jennyjohn
well I think that these tips given by you is really nice, but according my point of view eating a balanced diet, and focus on brain-healthy foods that are rich in antioxidants, try to keep your mind exercised, and consider taking a multivitamin supplement that includes antioxidants and folate may help you to make your brain healthy.
macky
Meit wrote:
Follow these tips to help keep your brain—and your body—vibrant and healthy throughout your life…

Do:

* Exercise your body regularly and get involved in physically active leisure pursuits
* Keep your mind exercised! Engage in active learning throughout life and pursue new experiences
* Stay socially engaged with friends, family and community groups
* Maintain a positive attitude and a sense of control over your life
* Take steps to manage stress
* Eat a balanced diet, and focus on brain-healthy foods that are rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, and consider taking a multivitamin supplement that includes antioxidants and folate
* Mind your numbers: Lose any extra pounds, lower your cholesterol if it is high, and keep your blood glucose and blood pressure under control
* Get adequate sleep
* Get proper medical attention and treatment for any underlying health problems

Don't:

* Drink to excess, smoke, or use illicit drugs
* Ignore sudden changes in mental status (but don't be overly concerned about normal slips of memory like forgetting names or where you put the keys)
* Avoid going to the doctor if you notice changes in your physical or mental health
* Overlook the possibility of drug interactions that can affect mental functioning, especially if you are taking more than one prescription medication
* Become isolated in your home
* Think you're too old to take up something new!

thank you very much for this wonderful post...

this is very interesting post to read on...

i have learned a lot from this to practice a optimism living...
deanhills
I've just come back from holiday, and a very good friend of a great aunt of mine, who will be eighty next year was playing scrabble like a trooper. Her mind is as sharp as anything, due to doing cross word puzzles for most of her adult life, and in a very serious way. So keeping the brain occupied with challenges like cross word puzzles has to be good for the brain as well.
Girish
Really nice and useful tips for all of us .......Nice thinking .
have a Good Day !
ujjawall
we want do all activity for healthy brain

Breathing-life is in the breath ,he who half breaths, live half breathing is necessary for laughging, singing and speaking.

Prayer-it is the most personal and intimate of all spiritual practices. Laughing Laughing
grek
yes yes
watersoul
Aw, disappointed now, I thought this was an interesting topic until I realised the OP is just another lame copy n paste from one of many 'health' websites. Sad