FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Car Thieves Work Year Round

Meit
Quote:
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), parking lots filled with cars loaded with packages present a tempting target for car thieves. Even though the weather may be cold in much of the country, vehicles are still a hot commodity for theives.

"Thieves never seem to miss an opportunity to do their dirty work," said Joe Wehrle, president and CEO of the NICB.

While the month of December recorded the fewest number of vehicle thefts per day in 2007, there were still an average of 2,842 cars reported stolen each day of the month. For the entire year, the daily average theft rate nationwide was 3,123 vehicles. August was the busiest month with 3,312 per day.

"Fortunately, we've seen a steady decline in the number of vehicle thefts nationwide over the past few years thanks to the efforts of the insurance industry, law enforcement and the vehicle manufacturers who are constantly working to make car owners more aware of the problem and to provide better anti-theft technology," said Wehrle.

The NICB reminds drivers to be vigilant during the busy shopping season. That includes parking in well-lit areas, keeping packages in the trunk or out of sight, and making sure your vehicle is locked and the alarm turned on while it's parked.

One other statistic worth noting: You car is most likely to be stolen on a Monday or Friday, while Sundays and Wednesdays were the slowest days for thefts.

Source: National Insurance Crime Bureau

Quote tags added by Ghost Rider103
coolclay
Interesting I don't know why anyone would think someone wouldn't want to steal your car just because it's cold out but I guess people don't think much. I would think more people would steal stuff during the winter just like there are more bank robberies during the winter. Luckily I have a car that no one would know how to start. The key doesn't start it, I have a push button under the dash the starts the car plus I installed a battery brain which enables me to actually turn the battery off as well. But I guess if you were a smart car thieve (very few I'd imagine) you might be able to figure it out. Of course then you'd have to figure out it was a diesel and warm the glow plugs and all that other jazz. But who'd want to steal a 27 yr old truck anyway!
ocalhoun
Winter months are a great time for car stealing; people often leave their car running to warm up... all you'd have to do is look for a car with steam coming from the tailpipe, but nobody in it. Hop in (probably unlocked), put it in gear, and drive away. If you do so casually, most witnesses will assume it was your car that you left to warm up.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Winter months are a great time for car stealing; people often leave their car running to warm up... all you'd have to do is look for a car with steam coming from the tailpipe, but nobody in it. Hop in (probably unlocked), put it in gear, and drive away. If you do so casually, most witnesses will assume it was your car that you left to warm up.
Same in the Middle East at the other extreme of the weather. People often keep their cars (mostly 4-wheel drives here) running to keep them cool. Difference though is that there is hardly a crime rate in the UAE.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Same in the Middle East at the other extreme of the weather. People often keep their cars (mostly 4-wheel drives here) running to keep them cool. Difference though is that there is hardly a crime rate in the UAE.

There's hardly any crime rate in rural areas like where I live in the US either... Only in cities do you need to worry about cars being stolen.
harismushtaq
Still, more than 3000 car thefts a day is huge. This means there would be atleast more than 3000 people doing the job every day. So they would not be able to sell those cars maybe they just take the stuff from within the car like DVD player, battery and then leave the car. What is the recovery rate ? Are these cards found later on ?
ocalhoun
harismushtaq wrote:
This means there would be atleast more than 3000 people doing the job every day.

Not necessarily; one enterprising person can steal more than one car in a day.
And in a country with 300,000,000 people, 3,000 thefts doesn't seem as large... That's only 1 in 100,000 (per day).

As for what they do with them, and if they are recovered, most would fall into one of several categories:

1- Pro: Steals the car, takes it to a chop-shop, sells the valuable parts inside, and reduces the rest to unrecognizable trash. Car is not recovered.
2- Amateur: Steals the car, tries (probably unsuccessfully) to sell it, gets caught. Or, tries to keep it and gets caught years later when pulled over for a speeding ticket. Car is recovered (eventually).
3- Petty: Steals the car just to take it on a joy-ride, and perhaps steals any valuables stored inside, then abandons the car on the side of the road. Probably doesn't get caught, but car is recovered (perhaps damaged some though.)
deanhills
I found this interesting graph on car theft per capita by country. I had thought that South Africa would be on top of the list, but it turns out to be Australia. Bizarre stats? Source is the Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention):
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_car_the_percap-crime-car-thefts-per-capita
deanhills
I found this interesting graph on car theft per capita by country. I had thought that South Africa would be on top of the list, but it turns out to be Australia. Bizarre stats? Source is the Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention):
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_car_the_percap-crime-car-thefts-per-capita