FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My new lady... A cute Arabian filly (w/ pics, of course!)

ocalhoun
So, I got myself a new horse. She's a very cute little Arabian, only 3 years old, and ready to begin her training.
Her previous owner called her 'Jo' (I don't like that name- not feminine or cute enough to suit her), which was short for 'Josephina' (too long).
So, I'm going to call her Jay.

Here she is, in the corral which will keep her from potentially hurting herself as she (nervously) gets used to her new surroundings. Also, she can be hard to catch sometimes, so she'll stay in the corral (not the big pasture) until I train her to be easy to approach and halter.

(Her resemblance to my avatar on the forums is purely coincidental- I was using that image for years before I met Jay.)

coolclay
Nice catch! Where did you get her? She definitely has some solid Arabian legs on her. Hope training goes well!
andysart380
she is a beautiful arab. we have 16 arabians at our barn and i love them all...as for her being hard to catch try this out....dont try to catch her, its normal for her to be nervous as you know, but her natural instinct is to want to know what everything is. arabs are super observant. try just standing inside the corral just off to the side and pay no attention to her...jut look at somthing else for a while and dont notion that you are comming after her, like your just in there with her too. eventually shes gonna wanna know what the hell is up and she will work her way towards you.. ive had a lot of luck this way rather than going in with a lead rope and trying to catch them..if they arent ready to come in the arent gonna come to you. young horses take patience let me know when you start trying to break her for crossties and i'll see if i know any calm methods for this, im not into hitting, shocking, shanking horses...im patient with them and all of ours are damn near perfect.

Congrats on the new family member, she is gorgeous .
ocalhoun
andysart380 wrote:
ive had a lot of luck this way rather than going in with a lead rope and trying to catch them..if they arent ready to come in the arent gonna come to you. young horses take patience let me know when you start trying to break her for crossties and i'll see if i know any calm methods for this, im not into hitting, shocking, shanking horses...im patient with them and all of ours are damn near perfect.

Don't worry, if there's any fault in my training, it'll be because I'm being too gentle.

What I've found is best is to train them to be easy to catch in the round pen. If they try to get away, actually chase them a little and swing the rope to let them know that you disapprove, and keep them running around the pen until they look like they're ready to try again (usually not long). Repeat until they don't try to get away anymore. This is based off of the way a dominant horse 'trains' another horse in the herd, so they can understand it easily.

She's already halter-broke (barely), and most of her hard-to-catch-ness is just being slightly spoiled and being used to always being bribed with grain/cookies in order to be haltered.
(As evidenced by the fact that she'll only avoid someone if they're holding a halter. She walks right up to anybody with empty hands... and runs to anybody holding treats.)

(And it's not just Arabs that are super-observant... all horses are. They can always tell what you're feeling, and often they seem to be able to tell what you're thinking as well.)

coolclay wrote:
Nice catch! Where did you get her? She definitely has some solid Arabian legs on her. Hope training goes well!

I found her for sale locally on craigslist for $300. Good thing I did too, because at that price, she might have ended up in a slaughterhouse.
deanhills
She is beautiful! Congrats. How many horses do you have, and are they all of the same family?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
She is beautiful! Congrats. How many horses do you have, and are they all of the same family?

Since moving to South Dakota, only this one... Though hopefully I'll be able to add another one or two to the herd, either mine, or keeping one for someone else.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Since moving to South Dakota, only this one... Though hopefully I'll be able to add another one or two to the herd, either mine, or keeping one for someone else.
Sounds like an awesome investment. I guess very soon you will have to move to a larger place? Smile Btw is it a coincidence that your first photo looks almost exactly like your avatar, except a much younger version? Are they related in any way?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Sounds like an awesome investment. I guess very soon you will have to move to a larger place? Smile

Nope, I just did move to a larger place, which is what enabled me to finally have horses again.
Quote:
Btw is it a coincidence that your first photo looks almost exactly like your avatar, except a much younger version? Are they related in any way?

Yes, complete coincidence. My avatar picture is a random photo I found online years ago, of a horse I've never seen besides that one picture.
99.9999% chance they're not related. Jay's father is unknown though, so there's always a chance, hm?
(Her mother was abandoned at a boarding stable, pregnant. Neither the owner of Jay's mother nor Jay's father could be located. All I know about the father was that he was supposedly 100% arab, just like the mother. So, Jay could potentially be related to nearly any horse, especially arabs.)
dude_xyx
Oh she is beautiful !! you bought her ?
kocaburun
woow! thats awsome how much u paid?
ocalhoun
kocaburun wrote:
woow! thats awsome how much u paid?

dude_xyx wrote:
Oh she is beautiful !! you bought her ?

Yes, I bought her for $300... Very cheap for a young, healthy horse, even untrained.
The usual slaughterhouse price for a horse is $500 to $600, so it's a good thing I bought her!

But if anybody else is considering doing the same and getting a bargain horse, remember that caring for it is expensive too! It costs about $30/month to feed her (hay only), plus vet and farrier bills... And if I end up needing professional help training her, that would be very expensive.
That doesn't mean you can't have one... but don't buy one without anywhere to keep it and without the means to care for it!
rogue_skydragon
She's absolutely gorgeous! I've always wanted a horse myself...I think that would be wonderful. And the resemblance to your avatar...that's nuts!
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Yes, complete coincidence. My avatar picture is a random photo I found online years ago, of a horse I've never seen besides that one picture.
Who knows, maybe the law of attraction had a role in this, when you created an avatar out of her look-alike. Great that you could save her, but it would have been an awful loss if she had not been saved. Does that happen as a rule, i.e. discarded fillies going to the slaughterhouse? Terrible thought!
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Does that happen as a rule, i.e. discarded fillies going to the slaughterhouse?

Not as a rule, but in this case it was a possibility.
Thankfully, the seller didn't want that to happen... In fact, the seller gave up the opportunity for $200 to $300 in order to prevent it. It still could have happened if an unscrupulous and dishonest buyer bought her though- saying she was going to a good home, but actually selling her off at the meat price of $500, to turn a profit of $200.

There are people in the world who would have no problem sending a nice filly like this one off to die if it meant they get $200 out of the deal.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Does that happen as a rule, i.e. discarded fillies going to the slaughterhouse?

Not as a rule, but in this case it was a possibility.
Thankfully, the seller didn't want that to happen... In fact, the seller gave up the opportunity for $200 to $300 in order to prevent it. It still could have happened if an unscrupulous and dishonest buyer bought her though- saying she was going to a good home, but actually selling her off at the meat price of $500, to turn a profit of $200.

There are people in the world who would have no problem sending a nice filly like this one off to die if it meant they get $200 out of the deal.
Right. They are doing it with camels too, although in the Middle East camels are much revered. If a car would have an accident involving a camel (or a palm date tree), the person would go straight to jail, and then questions asked afterwards, with huge penalties. I have a feeling that taking camels to slaughterhouses in the Middle East would be heavily regulated.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I have a feeling that taking camels to slaughterhouses in the Middle East would be heavily regulated.

Horse slaughtering in the US is completely illegal...
So 'they' just cram as many as they can into a trailer, and drive them to Mexico (where it's legal)... making the experience that much worse for the unfortunate horses.
wellerchap
well, first off mate, congratulations on the new arrival !
I learnt something today on here....I thought it was just the French that eat horse meat, but clearly not....in Britain (only 22 miles from France) it's totally different & a lot of Brits are horrified at the thought of slaughtering horses....though, I guess, once prepared you'd be pressed to tell the difference between that & beef, and it's just how people perceive horses in relation to cattle tha makes the difference, like eating dogs in the Far East (where here, we love them all as pets).
Different places, different cultures, eh?Good luck, and I hope she trains you well Very Happy
ocalhoun
wellerchap wrote:
I thought it was just the French that eat horse meat, but clearly not....in Britain (only 22 miles from France) it's totally different & a lot of Brits are horrified at the thought of slaughtering horses....though, I guess, once prepared you'd be pressed to tell the difference between that & beef, and it's just how people perceive horses in relation to cattle tha makes the difference, like eating dogs in the Far East (where here, we love them all as pets).
Different places, different cultures, eh?

The main use isn't human food though... The majority of the meat goes into pet food, dogs and cats, et cetera. Then, of course, there's glue.
Helios
Beautiful horse! You said you paid 300$. I honestly though a horse will cost much more than several hundred dollars.
How many horses do you own?
Living in a city, I'm really jealous. Smile

Too bad the photos came up a little blurry, probably due to lack of lighting.
ocalhoun
Helios wrote:
Beautiful horse! You said you paid 300$. I honestly though[t?] a horse will cost much more than several hundred dollars.

Most do. She's cheap because she's unregistered, untrained, and has a conformation flaw called 'pigeon toe' (back legs are splayed outwards some- not a problem now, but may cause joint problems when she's old). Also, the very rural area and current market conditions keep horse prices low.
Normally, a decent (ride-able) horse might cost around $1,000. A really good one might cost $5,000, and one you could use in competition (rodeo, racing, hunting, et cetera) might cost anywhere from there to several hundred thousand.
Quote:

How many horses do you own?

Just this one for now.
Quote:

Living in a city, I'm really jealous. Smile
The only way I could be kept in a city is inside a jail cell. I'd rather be homeless in the countryside than be a millionaire downtown.
Quote:

Too bad the photos came up a little blurry, probably due to lack of lighting.

Also, I think the camera might have been trying to focus on snowflakes in the air.
ocalhoun
madmanout wrote:
She's gorgeous. How is it taking care of Jay now? Isn't it expensive to take care of horses? Smile

About $30/month for food (less in the summer, when there's lots of grass available), and a few other incidentals for hoof care and vaccinations.
andysart380
just dropping a new line here wanted to see what progress your making. hope all is well with the new lady
ocalhoun
andysart380 wrote:
just dropping a new line here wanted to see what progress your making. hope all is well with the new lady

Some good progress.
First, she would run away from anyone with a halter, and need a bucket of grain and a lot of patience to catch- and then be difficult about actually putting the halter on. Now I can walk up to her and put a halter on, no problem, and often she'll walk up to me, not even making me go get her.

On the trailering front, she'll go all the way in the trailer now, if I have plenty of treats, but will still get out of the trailer in a hurry if she thinks I'm about to close the door... Still working on that.

I may have to send her to a professional trainer- I can train her okay, but it takes a lot of time, very difficult for someone with a full time job.
wellerchap
Any more progress to tell us of, Ocalhoun?
natilovesmike
That is such a nice horse! I don't know much about horses, but the pictures look so good..specially with the snow around...
ocalhoun
wellerchap wrote:

I'm almost ready to get on for the first time. She's been very calm, and I've put weight on her, and put a leg up on her with no problem at all- I've never seen her buck or kick.
deanhills
How long does it take for her to be fully grown? She must already have grown and filled out more since Feb?
soljarag
thats a big one! I have only rode 2 horses in my life... and I was scared of falling off!

the saddle kept slipping to the side....
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
How long does it take for her to be fully grown? She must already have grown and filled out more since Feb?

At 3, she's pretty much fully grown. Large horses take longer, but a smallish horse like her should be done growing by now. (Which is why she's ready for the weight of a rider.)

soljarag wrote:
thats a big one! I have only rode 2 horses in my life... and I was scared of falling off!

She's not big. She's actually quite small for a horse: at 14 hands tall, she's even technically a pony.
Quote:

the saddle kept slipping to the side....

You (or somebody else) didn't tighten the girth strap enough. Try it again with somebody who knows how to put a saddle on!
deanhills
Does this then mean that she is still the same size as in your first photos, and may never grow bigger than that? She really looks tiny in the photo.
wellerchap
ocalhoun wrote:
wellerchap wrote:

I'm almost ready to get on for the first time. She's been very calm, and I've put weight on her, and put a leg up on her with no problem at all- I've never seen her buck or kick.

In Britain we have a saying......."Famous Last Words!" Shocked
Laughing

Make sure you tell us about it, and maybe post one or two photos of the big day........and wear some padding, just in case!!
Good luck.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Does this then mean that she is still the same size as in your first photos, and may never grow bigger than that? She really looks tiny in the photo.

She is a little small for a horse, but she probably won't grow more than a couple inches from where she is now, at most.
Arabs are a small breed, though she's a little small even by Arab standards.

wellerchap wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
wellerchap wrote:

In Britain we have a saying......."Famous Last Words!" Shocked
Laughing

Make sure you tell us about it, and maybe post one or two photos of the big day........and wear some padding, just in case!!
Good luck.

Tuck and roll!
I'll wear a helmet, especially the first few times, but, heck, I fell off a 20ft cliff in a jeep and if I can survive that, I can certainly survive a 4 to 5 foot drop off of a horse.

Really though, if I do this right (i.e. with lots of patience), there should be no danger at all, and she'll never try to get me off her back at all. She's done exceptionally well so far.
Animetallic
nice
standready
Beautiful horse, ocalhoun. How about some up to date photos? Maybe with you in saddle?
nivinjoy
That is a nice hobby I think.. I don't think anyone in my place in India grow Horses for Hobby purposes . Instead they use them for earning their daily bread. They rent out the horses to the foreign tourists visiting our country and other people for Horse Riding, and earn a decent amount through this business.
Some people along with the Horse riding, also provide facility of taking photos with people on the horse and charge them a nominal rate.

Anyway you are doing a good thing that you are taking care of it a your dear pet. And in all the five pics you posted I loved the third pic a lot, in which the black hair is clearly visible. It makes it more and more beautiful.
ocalhoun
nivinjoy wrote:
That is a nice hobby I think.. I don't think anyone in my place in India grow Horses for Hobby purposes . Instead they use them for earning their daily bread. They rent out the horses to the foreign tourists visiting our country and other people for Horse Riding, and earn a decent amount through this business.
Some people along with the Horse riding, also provide facility of taking photos with people on the horse and charge them a nominal rate.

I'm sure some people there keep horses just for enjoyment... though perhaps only the well off do.
For one thing, last I heard, polo was a popular sport in India, and many people keep 'ponies' for that purpose.

And yes, we have rent-a-horse places here too, especially in my area, because this area attracts a lot of tourists and is great for horse riding.
It's a lot better to have your own though; you get to know their personality, and they have a personality... a lot of the for-hire horses have never done anything in their lives except follow other horses around on the same trails every day -- often with riders who make mistakes, which makes the horses ignore most signals from any rider -- and it tends to cause those horses to become very placid and uncaring... bored with everything.
nivinjoy wrote:

Anyway you are doing a good thing that you are taking care of it a your dear pet. And in all the five pics you posted I loved the third pic a lot, in which the black hair is clearly visible. It makes it more and more beautiful.

^.^ I think everybody who has ever seen her in person has commented on how pretty she is.

standready wrote:
Beautiful horse, ocalhoun. How about some up to date photos? Maybe with you in saddle?

*searches through old photos and some one my server*
jackpot!

From last summer,
Looking very sleek and shiny in her pasture:

Tacked up and ready to ride... and not very happy about it:

(She was still getting used to it at that point; she doesn't mind it as much now... and I've made some changes to the tack to make it more comfortable for her.)

Tied up:

(Back then, she was also just getting used to being tied. She always wants to follow me around, so if I left while she was tied, she would try to follow and get very upset that she couldn't. She still likes to follow me around, but now she's well-trained enough to stand still when tied up.)

Those are the latest pictures I have.
Tomorrow I'll be going out on a trail ride with her.
If the weather is good, I'll take some new pictures there and upload them soon.
nivinjoy

Wow in this pic she looks cool.. Especially in the Green background..
deanhills
Wow, the photos are great. Jay looks great. Completely filled out and healthy. Do you look after her yourself or is there someone doing it for you? She looks in amazing shape!
standready
I want her pasture! Think she would share with a cat?
ocalhoun
Sorry, no pictures yet. I forgot to bring my camera last weekend.

I'm planning on going out again this weekend though; hopefully this time I'll remember.

standready wrote:
I want her pasture! Think she would share with a cat?

I want her pasture, too!
That was at my old rental place... and they refused to renew my lease because they wanted to let their son live there instead. It cost the same amount of money as the place I got to replace it, but the replacement is not nearly as nice.

And yes, she would gladly share it with a cat. In fact, she did share it with cats... big ones.
That area was swarming with mountain lions, and on several occasions I found their tracks in her pasture. (No worries though; the cougars would rather go after the easy prey of deer and bighorn sheep - horses are bigger than they're comfortable with, and they'll only attack horses if desperate... They would be more likely to attack me, actually... That's why I never went down to her pasture unarmed -- especially at twilight or after dark.)

nivinjoy wrote:

Wow in this pic she looks cool.. Especially in the Green background..

She looks good no matter what the background. ^.^
Everybody who sees her in person remarks -- usually word-for-word -- "That's a beautiful horse!"
...And I do mean everybody. When I was riding on a busy trail, it amused me that I could predict the comments from everybody who passed by.

deanhills wrote:
Wow, the photos are great. Jay looks great. Completely filled out and healthy.

She's actually a bit on the skinny side in those photos. Generally, a horse's ideal body-weight is so that you can feel the ribs, but not see them. Her ribs were visible then, so she was a bit on the thin side.

She has filled out more since then though.
Quote:
Do you look after her yourself or is there someone doing it for you? She looks in amazing shape!

Oh, I take care of her entirely on my own.
Contrary to what some professionals will tell you, caring for a horse is usually quite simple.
standready
ocalhoun wrote:

d'oh! Brick wall
standready
standready wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

d'oh! Brick wall

And the community begins to chant: pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures!
shivaghimire
wow.. I like her. She is beautiful.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:

And the community begins to chant: pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures!

Yeah... about that...

Well, I kept forgetting...
And then, I went to go visit some relatives and left Jay in a boarding stable for a while.
When she was there, she got hurt badly. Tangled up in some barbed wire; scratches all over, but one of her feet got cut almost half way through as the barbed wire acted like a chainsaw.
Thankfully, though, that boarding stable was also a veterinarian, so she got taken care of quickly, and she is getting better. After about an additional month there, I decided that she finally looked to be healed enough to travel and I brought her back home.
She's still hurt now, but the wound has closed up almost to the surface now; now it looks more like just a bad abrasion, not a horrible cut.
It doesn't seem to bother her any more,* so I think I'll start taking her on short rides again soon.

*The only time it really bothers her is when I put medicine on the wound. It stings and she does NOT like it, but it is important to keep it disinfected... a bad infection there could cause more damage than the original cut -- and possibly make her lame... which for horses often means dead.
standready
Oh my goodness, ocalhoun, that is terrible. I do hope Jay does heal completely.
ocalhoun
Took her on a trail ride for the first time since her injury, and she did great.

And I got new pics for everybody!

Finally got a pic that shows her in full tack... a lot of this stuff has been customized by me now.
Actually had to learn how to sew to do some of it.

mengshi200
Very terrific horse! I am really envy you,hehe.Hope see more picture about this lovely small guy.
ocalhoun
mengshi200 wrote:
Hope see more picture about this lovely small guy.

girl
standready
Thank you for FINALLY providing us with some updated photos of Jay. I am happy to hear that her injuries have healed. She is lookin' good!
nigam
yeah...i look at your avatar....i thought it was her....that you took picture after you bought it...
deanhills
Those are beautiful photos Ocalhoun. Sad story about the barbed wire and glad she was saved. She looks "glowing" with good health. And yes, there is a slight resemblance to your Avatar ....
Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
And yes, there is a slight resemblance to your Avatar ....

As I've already said, that's purely coincidence.

Really!

I started using that avatar in 2006, and didn't even meet Jay until 2010.
Heck, she wasn't even born yet when I started using that avatar!
brianj
i want a horse since im 5, but its hard to raise it in my area.
mochipie
Wow, she's gorgeous. I suppose she's grown up quiote nicely by now...

The photos in the show make it even more alluring. Smile (Weakness for horses in snow, honestly.)
ocalhoun
mochipie wrote:
Wow, she's gorgeous. I suppose she's grown up quiote nicely by now...

Actually, no, she's still the same size. Looks like she'll be small all her life.
But not too small! She's just the right size, as far as I'm concerned, big enough for an adult to ride, but small enough so that it's not especially difficult to get on and off.
mm365
funny..... beatyful//