FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Downtime on Server 2/3 today

Bondings
There was quite some downtime (only Apache) on this server today. DirectAdmin, ftp and others were mostly still working fine.

First of all my apologies about the problem.

Apache and php were being upgraded, but due to problems with the upgrade there was a lot of downtime. And after it was fixed, there were some load/memory/performance problems on the server, causing the server to be very unresponsive. I had to tweak things a bit and suddenly it started to work fine again. I hope it lasts.

I hope it's mostly fixed now. I'll continue to monitor it.
Bondings
Again quite some problems after posting this. I've changed a few things again. Hopefully it continues to work now.
Aredon
I had to take my site down after the upgrade. Many of my scripts have stopped working correctly or are exerting abnormal behavior. More specificaly none of my cURL scripts are working anymore.
Quote:
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'String could not be parsed as XML' in /usr/home/aredon/domains/clanhunter.frih.net/public_html/navigation/modules/armory.php:71 Stack trace: #0 /usr/home/aredon/domains/clanhunter.frih.net/public_html/navigation/modules/armory.php(71): SimpleXMLElement->__construct('') #1 /usr/home/aredon/domains/clanhunter.frih.net/public_html/navigation/showuser.php(251): pull_char_armory('darpeh') #2 {main} thrown in /usr/home/aredon/domains/clanhunter.frih.net/public_html/navigation/modules/armory.php on line 71
Bondings
Php was upgraded to version 5.3.1. Could that be the cause or do you think that it's a module or something like that that is missing?
wombatrpgs
Glad to hear this was something benign... I almost thought this was another DDoS.
Aredon
Bondings wrote:
Php was upgraded to version 5.3.1. Could that be the cause or do you think that it's a module or something like that that is missing?

I've looked over my code, and the only thing I can conclude with what I have is that PHP's cURL is no longer working. Unless changes were made to cURL's operation in 5.3.1 that I'm not aware of.

Code:

define("USE_CURL", true);
   $realm = "Hyjal";
   $url = "http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=" . $realm . "&n=" . $name ;
   ## Start cURL
   $ch = curl_init();
   $useragent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1";
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, $useragent);
   $f = curl_exec($ch);
   curl_close($ch);
   ## Finish cURL
   if(!$xml = new SimpleXMLElement($f)){

The last line is line 71 as refered to in the error. Once again, I see nothing wrong with it, and it functioned before the upgrade.
k_s_baskar
my site is working fine without any error while posting this reply. Does the problem Solved?.
Aredon
Still getting cURL errors... Sad I guess I'll throw up a thread in the php forum and see if it's a problem on my end. I don't understand why $f is returning null, but I guess I'll find out.
Ghost Rider103
My website was down pretty much all day today. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I'm glad this was on the weekend when I wasn't using it much. This could of went real bad for me if this down time occured while showing clients live previews of their web site designs.

I noticed Frihost itself was also down for a while.

Lets hope it stay back online.
Bondings
@Aredon, I'll try to test it out.

Anyone else on Server 2/3 having issues with their site? Since a lot of the configuration changed, there can be a lot of problems.
Aredon
If it's any help I just ran this test:
Code:

define("USE_CURL", true);
      $realm = "Hyjal";
      $url = "http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=" . $realm . "&n=Apruncity" ;
      ## Start cURL
      $ch = curl_init();
      $useragent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1";
      curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
      curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
      curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, $useragent);
      $f = curl_exec($ch);
      if($f === false){echo 'false';}else{echo 'ok so far';}
echo '<br>';
$info = curl_getinfo($ch);
print_r($info);
      curl_close($ch);
      echo $f;

Returned:
Code:

false
Array ( [url] => http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hyjal&n=Apruncity [content_type] => [http_code] => 0 [header_size] => 0 [request_size] => 0 [filetime] => -1 [ssl_verify_result] => 0 [redirect_count] => 0 [total_time] => 0 [namelookup_time] => 0 [connect_time] => 0 [pretransfer_time] => 0 [size_upload] => 0 [size_download] => 0 [speed_download] => 0 [speed_upload] => 0 [download_content_length] => -1 [upload_content_length] => -1 [starttransfer_time] => 0 [redirect_time] => 0 )

Also
Code:
echo file_get_contents($url);

Returns:
Code:

Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /usr/home/aredon/domains/clanhunter.frih.net/public_html/drafts/armory_test.php on line 15

Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hyjal&n=Apruncity) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /usr/home/aredon/domains/clanhunter.frih.net/public_html/drafts/armory_test.php on line 15

Looks like it might be php.ini related? (allow_url_fopen=0)
Bondings
The file_get_content function was disabled for security reasons since it is used in a lot of hacking attempts.

Anyway, I enabled it. However it doesn't make libcurl work again.
Aredon
Yeah turn it back off, that didn't change anything. It was just a suggestion. Trying to troubleshoot on my end. A friend of mine got word of my situation and he's trying to duplicate the error on his server. So I'll let you know if anything comes up there.

Code:

if(curl_exec($ch) === false)
{
    echo 'Curl error: ' . curl_error($ch);
}

Returns:
Quote:

Curl error: Couldn't resolve host 'www.wowarmory.com'

I also tested google.com. ET no phone home. Sad
Bondings
It seems to be a dns problem, the output of your error seems to confirm it. It seems like either there is something wrong with the dns settings of the server itself, or php isn't able to access it.
Bondings
I use managed servers to be sure that if I screw things up, at least they will be able to fix them. I asked them this weekend to upgrade php and apache since there might be some problems related to the upgrade.

They had the problems and at first couldn't even get Apache back to working. Then finally when it worked, the server started acting weird with some errors and Apache taking all swap causing it to be unusable. So they kept trying and actually managed to break Apache again (core dumps this time) and were waiting for DirectAdmin to solve it. I suppose a part of the problem is the FreeBSD OS. While they waited for the DirectAdmin staff to react, I actually managed to get it working again (although it might not be for long).

Anyway, before I got it working I already ordered a new server to replace this one. One of the following days (when it's ready and I have time for it), I'll move the websites on server 2/3 to it. It's a better server, so even if things are working out fine with this server, at least things should be a lot faster. (quad core processor vs dual core and 8GB of RAM instead of the current 2GB)

In any case, my apologies about the long downtime. Hopefully it won't become much more.
The-Nisk
So that's what was up, I couldn't access my site nor the actual frihost.com, thought we got DDoS's again. All works fine now...so far anyways Smile
jmlworld
I could not access the Frihost forums and when I checked Frihost-Server-Status.us.to I found that both server2 and server3 were down, then I thought it's another DDoS attack Shocked

Is Frihost.com on one of server2/3?

I hope everything will be sorted out.

EDIT:

I am using WordPress and I have received a ton of spam comments. I wondered how it made past Akismet and when I logged in to clear the mess I found out that I lost my connection to Akismet servers and API key is not going to get validated in order to catch spam.

This is what Akismet said on the API thing:

Quote:

WordPress.com API Key

The key below was previously validated but a connection to akismet.com can not be established at this time. Please check your server configuration.

On the server connectivity it says:

Quote:

Server Connectivity

Unable to find Akismet servers.

A DNS problem or firewall is preventing all access from your web server to Akismet.com. Akismet cannot work correctly until this is fixed. Please contact your web host or firewall administrator and give them this information about Akismet and firewalls.

Last checked 1 min ago.

Now, I will turn on the comment moderation to prevent against a mayhem.
Bondings
@jmlworld, yes the frihost.com website is on server 2/3.

About your blog, unfortunately all outgoing connections from php aren't working. It's a complex issue and I doubt that I'll find a solution for it before the accounts are transferred to the new server. Another reason why the spam has probably increased is because mod_security hasn't been installed after the changes and it also blocked a lot of spam before it even reached your website.
Aredon
May I suggest moving the accounts to the new server and possibly leaving the forum on the old one? Then the site and forums can have their own server! Cool

In any case I'm going to run full site backups later today, and then bring my site back up. I assume that there will still be cURL issues so I'll just turn off those modules until the server move. Thanks for your hard work bondings!
Bondings
Aredon wrote:
May I suggest moving the accounts to the new server and possibly leaving the forum on the old one? Then the site and forums can have their own server! Cool

In any case I'm going to run full site backups later today, and then bring my site back up. I assume that there will still be cURL issues so I'll just turn off those modules until the server move. Thanks for your hard work bondings!

I'll cancel this server, especially since it still has some problems. The curl issues are most likely due to a deeper issue, I've seen posts of people having the same problem and it seemed to have something to do with file descriptors (or something similar). I've already had issues with those in the past and I'll tell you, it's not something straightforward to fix (soft and hard limits up to the kernel).
jmlworld
Glad to hear that the accounts will be transferred to a new server. Also Frihost.com sometimes gets weird and may be it would be cool if it gets transferred too.

Maybe the server problems are due to a conflict between the new PHP and the server OS, since PHP guys decided to deprecate a bunch of functions.
Jean-Clod
Great work Bondings, especially the new server thing Very Happy
For the "old" server problems, it lasted for me even after everything was back fine & running. In facts, every page of my (Wordpress) blog only showed loads of characters (it even made an ascii submarine, once Razz ...yes, a submarine!)

I searched in the .php files, and I found the problem: theses lines, inserted in each page through the header:

Code:
<?php 
  ini_set('zlib.output_compression', 'On'); 
  ini_set('zlib.output_compression_level', '1'); 
?>

For everyone, deactivate this, seems that it doesn't work. I deleted them, and it's fine (and even faster than before!)
Bondings
Jean-Clod wrote:
Great work Bondings, especially the new server thing Very Happy
For the "old" server problems, it lasted for me even after everything was back fine & running. In facts, every page of my (Wordpress) blog only showed loads of characters (it even made an ascii submarine, once Razz ...yes, a submarine!)

I searched in the .php files, and I found the problem: theses lines, inserted in each page through the header:

Code:
<?php 
  ini_set('zlib.output_compression', 'On'); 
  ini_set('zlib.output_compression_level', '1'); 
?>

For everyone, deactivate this, seems that it doesn't work. I deleted them, and it's fine (and even faster than before!)

That was probably something to do with zlib, maybe not functioning correctly.
loyal
jmlworld wrote:
I could not access the Frihost forums and when I checked Frihost-Server-Status.us.to I found that both server2 and server3 were down....

That server status site doesn't work any longer.
The ones that do are: http://www.cybermilitia.net/frihoststatus/ and http://www.ytal.nl/frih/servers.php (but the former is the better one I think).

Peace.
wombatrpgs
Thanks, I was missing the old one site checker.
crossroads
Ever since yesterday I have been having error messages showing up on my site and it is not loading correctly. I posted a topic about it here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-114011.html

This is what the errors are saying:

Code:
Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 520

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 535

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 542

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 578

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 18

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-settings.php:520) in /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/slidezoom/slidezoom.php on line 30

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-settings.php:520) in /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/slidezoom/slidezoom.php on line 30

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-settings.php:520) in /usr/home/crossroa/domains/crossroads.frih.org/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 850

I am using wordpress to run the site and every once and a while the site will actually load with errors at the top of the page and then some times nothing loads at all and its just all errors.
mOrpheuS
Since php 5.3.x deprecates a lot of older syntax, it might a good idea to have php 5.2.12 installed on the newly ordered server.
jmlworld
crossroads wrote:
I am using wordpress to run the site and every once and a while the site will actually load with errors at the top of the page and then some times nothing loads at all and its just all errors.

Probably you are using older version of WordPress, the reason you are receiving the error is that because the version of WordPress you have on your blog has older PHP4 functions which are deprecated in PHP5.

The current release of WordPress is 2.9.1 and it runs well on the latest version of PHP.

By the way, you are using Slidezoom plugin which has deprecated PHP4 functions.

@Loyal:

Thank you for the update.
Bondings
I have disabled the display errors. I hope this helps most websites showing all those 'deprecated' warnings.
Bondings
Could someone test if curl is working again on the server?
jmlworld
Bondings wrote:

I don't use cURL on my blog, but the RSS is not fetching content and Akismet plugin cannot reach the Akismet server.
Aredon
Bondings wrote:

That would be a negative.
Quote:

false
Array ( [url] => http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hyjal&n=Apruncity [content_type] => [http_code] => 0 [header_size] => 0 [request_size] => 0 [filetime] => -1 [ssl_verify_result] => 0 [redirect_count] => 0 [total_time] => 0 [namelookup_time] => 0 [connect_time] => 0 [pretransfer_time] => 0 [size_upload] => 0 [size_download] => 0 [speed_download] => 0 [speed_upload] => 0 [download_content_length] => -1 [upload_content_length] => -1 [starttransfer_time] => 0 [redirect_time] => 0 )

Same empty file as before. Sad
Bondings
The server support supposedly fixed it, together with the emails. Unfortunately there is no change for both issues it seems.

I hope the server arrives soon. It's been already 3 and a half days after the order.
loyal
So is everything (the accounts and the site/forums) going to be on one single new server, out of curiosity?

Peace.
Bondings
loyal wrote:
So is everything (the accounts and the site/forums) going to be on one single new server, out of curiosity?

Peace.

It's a server replacement. Everything that is currently on Server 2/3 (including these forums/website) is going to be moved there.
Jean-Clod
Yeah! Everything works! Thanks Bondings :d
jmlworld
Jean-Clod wrote:
Yeah! Everything works! Thanks Bondings :d

Jean-Clod, everything is not working at my end, but I am happy that the servers are up.

Heaps of thanks to Bondings, anyway.
Aredon
cURL appears to be working, but now I have some APIs that have "depreciated" code because of the new php version. So I'm going to have to spend some time talking with a bunch of other admins. Sad sad day. I'd actually appreciate it if we could have those errors turned back on, since now my depreciated scripts are just showing blank, non-functional pages, instead of verbose errors. Rolling Eyes
Bondings
Aredon wrote:
cURL appears to be working, but now I have some APIs that have "depreciated" code because of the new php version. So I'm going to have to spend some time talking with a bunch of other admins. Sad sad day. I'd actually appreciate it if we could have those errors turned back on, since now my depreciated scripts are just showing blank, non-functional pages, instead of verbose errors. Rolling Eyes

Deprecated normally means that it is still working, however the use is discouraged since it might not be working in the next version (php 6).

So I find it weird that the pages aren't working fine?
Aredon
The only one I'm having trouble with right now is my http://be.imba.hu API. I click to run my update script and it appears to error out, but no error is displayed. I really have no idea where the problem might lie without errors. It could be in the API library itself, or it could be a problem with my script. In any case I'd need to see displayed errors to figure it out. (I'm not about to dig through 3,000+ lines of code looking for an error. Cool)

Also the server seems to be going down every few minutes? o.O
Bondings
Is this something that needs to fixed rather quickly and cannot wait a few days? Because otherwise it might fix itself after the server move.

About curl, I guess that got fixed when I downgraded to Apache 1 since that was the only thing to get Apache working again. Maybe not everything got fixed with connections and that's why you still have problems with that api?
Aredon
That could be, but I wrote into my script that if the connection failed it should report it via echo. It hasn't been doing that, which leads me to believe there's a php error of some kind that I'm just not seeing (but that could be server connection I suppose). It's nothing urgent I suppose, I've already let everyone know what's going on. Smile
jmlworld
The problem seems gone now. RSS and many other outgoing connections are working fine for me. By the way, I noticed that the migration to the new server is completed.
Bondings
jmlworld wrote:
The problem seems gone now. RSS and many other outgoing connections are working fine for me. By the way, I noticed that the migration to the new server is completed.

For server 2, which you are on, indeed. These forums and the frih.org (server 3) accounts still need to be transfered, most likely today.
Aredon
Was mysql changed as well with the new server? I'm having issues with some of my sorted queries no longer sorting.
Code:
SELECT * FROM `news` WHERE category='Website' ORDER BY 'post_id' DESC

Edit: after playing in phpmyadmin, it seems that this is now the correct syntax.
Code:
SELECT * FROM `news` WHERE category = 'Website' ORDER BY `news`.`post_id` DESC

So my question is, will I have to update all my sorted queries on the entire website?

Edit #2: Looks like I am now also having file permission issues with fopen that were not there before.
Quote:
Warning: fopen(/home/aredon/domains/clanhunter.frih.net/public_html/navigation/cache/armory/kujajin.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/aredon/domains/clanhunter.frih.net/public_html/navigation/modules/armory.php on line 201
can't open file

Code:
$fh=fopen($filename, 'w') or die("can't open file");

Essentially the script I have running tries to create the file if it doesn't exist. Seems that creating it is a problem. Did ownership over any folders change after the move? Because I have this folder set to 775, and that worked before.
Bondings
@Aredon, mysql was upgraded to mysql 5.1. I thought it was worth it to upgrade together with the server move (otherwise the upgrade itself would have caused some downtime).

Php is back to version 5.2 as 5.3 caused quite some problems.

For the other issues, it's maybe better to create a new topic about each issue.
evilryu530
i can't seem to log into my directadmin.

is the servers still down?
my website works.

I am able to log into direct admin now.

BUT, now i can not upload any files. i tried through ftp filezilla and through directadmin. and the files will not upload! they say zero kb. it just won't upload. i have my name and password correct. is there still issues?
Asap170
evilryu530 wrote:
i can't seem to log into my directadmin.

is the servers still down?
my website works.

I am able to log into direct admin now.

BUT, now i can not upload any files. i tried through ftp filezilla and through directadmin. and the files will not upload! they say zero kb. it just won't upload. i have my name and password correct. is there still issues?

Your negative 723 points (-723) that might have something to do with you not being able to login.