FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Troops use 250,000 bullets for every insurgent killed

Jammydodger
US forces have fired so many bullets in Iraq and Afghanistan - an estimated 250,000 for every insurgent killed - that American ammunition-makers cannot keep up with demand. As a result the US is having to import supplies from Israel.
The Pentagon reportedly bought 313 million rounds of 5.56mm, 7.62mm and 50-calibre ammunition last year and paid $10m (about 5.5m) more than it would have cost for it to produce the ammunition at its own facilities.

I don't know what to comment on. The mentality that "if force isn't working, use more force" or the insanity of doing the same thing and expecting different results.
S3nd K3ys
Jammydodger wrote:
US forces have fired so many bullets in Iraq and Afghanistan - an estimated 250,000 for every insurgent killed - that American ammunition-makers cannot keep up with demand. As a result the US is having to import supplies from Israel.
The Pentagon reportedly bought 313 million rounds of 5.56mm, 7.62mm and 50-calibre ammunition last year and paid $10m (about 5.5m) more than it would have cost for it to produce the ammunition at its own facilities.

I don't know what to comment on. The mentality that "if force isn't working, use more force" or the insanity of doing the same thing and expecting different results.

LoL!

This should be in the 'jokes' section. Wink
Bondings
S3nd K3ys wrote:

LoL!

Uhm, S3nd K3ys, those numbers might be true. Some of the intelligent bombs cost over a million dollars and if you count all the bullets, including from aircrafts, ... then you might come to the big number of 250.000 per insurgent killed.
S3nd K3ys
Bondings wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:

LoL!

Uhm, S3nd K3ys, those numbers might be true. Some of the intelligent bombs cost over a million dollars and if you count all the bullets, including from aircrafts, ... then you might come to the big number of 250.000 per insurgent killed.

Um, yeah Bondings. They could be just a tad bit exagerated too. Wink

As no links were provided, who knows. I searched and found some questionable sites reporting it, but nothing on ANY mainstream news, or any other sites I generally go to for information.

I would guess that number is not very accurate in the manner in which it was used. (Lieberal spin?? Maybe. Maybe not) Perhaps that's the total number of bullets fired by US soldiers throughout the world...? How about during training?

Lets try an example to put things into perspective...Are you aware that there are about 8000 tanks in the Army alone? A tank platoon leader during live fire gunnery can personally fire over 2000 rounds of .50 cal per gunnery.

Lets say only 6000 perform gunnery twice per year, that would be about 24 million rounds spent. That does not even take into account what the infantry expends on training alone, and these numbers have been purposely low-balled so as not to be seen as inflationary.

So like I said, the numbers are likely skewed, and this article was likely put together as a way of promoting anti-war ideals using mis-information to make it seem like soldiers can't shoot straight or that the insurgents are very "tough" and don't die easily. Therefore, this should be in the jokes section.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The amusement factor is up there, though. Wink
Nameless
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Jammydodger wrote:

LoL!

It's funny because it's true, or close enough to true anyway.
Jammydodger
Here's a link for all you sceptics
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article314944.ece
Wink
gonzo
Jammydodger wrote:
The mentality that "if force isn't working

Froce IS working. More force will effect more.

Liberalists on the other hand are want to THROW increasingly more money annually at a FAILED public education system with zero indication of positive effect HISTORICALLY.

Rolling Eyes
psycosquirrel
I am 100% sure that figure includes battle training and such. I cannot imagine we are using that much ammo for simply killing one insurgent; there must be some technicality or something that inflates this statistic.
vazdecarvalho
I hate USA in general. I am not saying that the people is stupid, cause i dont know everyone. But Bush is STUPID, you can be sure. Its politics can only make destruction. I am portuguese and i am revolted, because Portugal has seeded his Lages Base to America.
hofer
What is the problem?, at least US is developing their belic industry, this is one of the reasons that they're in war.
woodruffs
that is so awesome!!!
planet
BIGGER bullits ?, f e w e r insurgents?, or maybe just getting the hell out?
S3nd K3ys
planet wrote:
or maybe just getting the hell out?

Cut and run. Leave them worse than we found them.

Now THAT'S a good idea. Rolling Eyes
planet
Korea?, Vietnam?, Bay of Pigs?,Libanon?, Mugadishu?.

I'm certainly not questioning the curage and honesty of the troops there but I am sadened by what looks like seriously flawed top leadership.
There has been war in the midle east for milenea and it wil not subside by a few OilBarons oiling their own wheels at the expense of precious US youth (not to forget +/- million Iraquis).

They will have their civil war no matter what,, unfortunately.
Jack_Hammer
The idea of war is not to kill but more to mame, very few soldiers will shoot to kill.
Jammydodger
I dont think that is true, if you are looking down the barrel at some 1 who is intent on killing you I dont think you will think i'll just try and injure him
atomictoyz
Thats not very many bullets!!!

That comes down to roughly 41 Bullets per hour based on an 8 hour day.

If you ever fired a fully automatic weapon you know it takes at least that to properly track your fire.

Peace,
Atomic