FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keeping Fish as a Hobby ? Do you have a Fish Tank ?

dude_xyx
I have kept fish since I was 10 years old. It's a great hobby. Today I Keep Mainly Discus fish which known as the king of the Aquarium fish. Also I have a comiunity tank with various type of fish like Neon Tetra, Penguin Tetra, Rainbow Shark, Gold Barbs, Betta, Dwarf Gourami etc. Also bunch of other tanks.

I wonder who else here keep fish. Post about your fish tanks and what kinds of fish do you have ?
Ankhanu
I don't keep fish right now; I decommissioned my tanks about 2 moves ago and haven't had the apartments/stability to set them back up again. I look forward to having the space and not having to move again so I can set them back up. I started into aquariums about 15 years ago; mostly working with community fish and a cichlid tank. I've been intending to set up a cave-like environment for some blind cave tetras, but never got around to it.

I tend to be drawn towards the "ugly" fish. I love camouflage, so I'm drawn to fish you tend to never actually SEE in your tank Razz
Crinoid
I keep marine fish and invertebrates. The largest file fish is more than hand sized and looks like hairy fish. The medium sized lion fish, bright red, gives impression of multi-mast sailing ship and when it turns it looks like dance with hand fans. Unicorn filefish, dark jade color. Brighthest color exotic fish, the orange white wiggling clown fish, mean. Live jewel blue green chromis. "Fishing" fish with lure (frogfish).

Recently tried to choose something interesting from freshwater fishes, that will not require large tank, and have seen not much that I would like to have: neon tetras, but they did not survive for long when I had freshwater tank, unlike marine fish.

Most interesting invertebrates include micro dancing shrimp, Christmas tree worms, fluorescent tube anemones, tridacna clam, oyster, and fairly difficult bright corals.

They are divided in compatible groups, and who requires better water or will use others as a food are kept in separate tanks.
A lot of tanks eventually, a lot of work too.
Marcuzzo
I have a 60L tank with

1 dwarf puffer ( Colomesus asellus )
2 Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare )
2 Hemigrammus erythrozonus (neon)
1. Betta splendens (siamese fighter)
3 Xiphophorus maculatus (platty)
5 mixed guppies
4 Corydoras julii (leopard catfish)

I used to have 10 cardinal tetras, but they all died, I think it was the puffer because some missed the tail and others had a hole in their body.
so I went and bought 3 platty's as replacement as they are a bit bigger then the tetras so less likely to be attacked
dude_xyx
Marcuzzo, I'm sure it was your puffer. Those cute guys can be scary when it comes to their hunger. They tear chunks off other fish if you don't feed them properly.

I have Discus fish. That was my dream fish of all times. I wanted to have them but they were too expensive. Now finally I have them.
Marcuzzo
dude_xyx wrote:
Marcuzzo, I'm sure it was your puffer. Those cute guys can be scary when it comes to their hunger. They tear chunks off other fish if you don't feed them properly.

I have Discus fish. That was my dream fish of all times. I wanted to have them but they were too expensive. Now finally I have them.

one of my angelfish has been terorising my tank the last couple of days and I don't know why.
he is causing a lot of stress in the tank and I'm thinking of removing him... or her.

he chases about everything that pops up in front of him.
and if he turns away from one fish he will chase another one immediately after.
ocalhoun
Marcuzzo wrote:

Some fish species are aggressive and/or predatory, and in those cases you have to be extremely careful what you mix them with.
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
Marcuzzo wrote:

Some fish species are aggressive and/or predatory, and in those cases you have to be extremely careful what you mix them with.

Angels tend to be fairly docile.

I've had a pair of angels spawn once, and as I recall, the make became territorial around that time. Unfortunately, it was in a community tank and the tank contained some pretty strong egg predators. The eggs lasted a few days on the glass, but were eventually lost.
dude_xyx
I'm trying to run a peaceful community tank. Only keeping non aggressive fish.

01. Gold barb - Very peaceful and beautiful. Better keep them as a school of 3-4 pairs
02. Danio Zebra - Another peaceful smaller fish. They usually stay near to surface of water
03. Rainbow Shark - Peaceful with other tank mates but only can have one in a tank.
04. Neno Tetra - very peaceful but has to keep them in school of 4-5 pairs.
05. Betta - If you have only one Betta usually they mind their own business.

That's what I have in my community tank plus an Angel pair. Which is not peaceful at all. I think I ll have to remove them soon.
Ankhanu
Other than the betta, the fish you have there should be fast/agile enough that the angels shouldn't pose any real threat while they're being aggressive. You should be fine.
dude_xyx
Ankhanu wrote:
Other than the betta, the fish you have there should be fast/agile enough that the angels shouldn't pose any real threat while they're being aggressive. You should be fine.

Well That's what I thought before too. Only thing Angels not chasing is Betta. They kinda have respect for him. Like they are very alert when Betta is near but Betta totally ignore them. They chase everyone else though they seldom able to peck on any of them. So stress is a problem. Also unfortunately Angels are keep growing while other fish have already reached their max size.
smokey4life
I do like fish however i do not have any, i have been thinking about getting some ever since we stopped at a local pet shop here. I am very drawn toward colorful fish i don't want any basic goldfish or anything, but what would be a good starter fish since i don't know much about them something easy to take care of yet still cool to look at?
dude_xyx
When you are picking colorful fish better be careful. There are soo many Colorful cichid types which are very aggressive. If you are a beginner than you can try guppy. They are colorful too.
Voodoocat
Quote:
one of my angelfish has been terorising my tank the last couple of days and I don't know why.

I also have a big ol' mean angelfish. I have had him for over four years, and he rules the tank. I like his attitude, even though he has eaten most of the other fish Sad
dude_xyx
I noticed that my Male Dwarf gourami had enough with getting bullied by Angel pair. He attack back when angels try peck him ! and Angels run away !! Betta totally ignore Angels and Angels stay out of his path when he swims near. I think something nasty must have happened. Like Angels had tried to pick Betta and get beaten the crap out !!!
Marcuzzo
Ankhanu wrote:

yeah, the Angel pretty much ignores the Betta.
it is the rest that he keeps chasing. most of the times it chases the 3 orange platty's, the smaller angel I keep in the same tank and the guppy's from time to time.

I'll upload a video when I get a change.
I realy don't know if I should keep him because I feel sorry for the other fish, they can almost never relax.
dude_xyx
Angels and guppy is not a good combination. Angels would take chunks out of guppies lovely long tails. These guys bully anything smaller than them.
jabce85
Has anyone ever tried doing a nano reef? Just curious.
Ankhanu
jabce85 wrote:

Never tried tropical marine at all; it's too expensive.

I have gone out and gathered local marine life for short-term keeping, though... but I'm on the north Atlantic, so it's not really reefy Smile
ocalhoun
jabce85 wrote:

I've known someone who did. He had several huge tanks, but only a handful of fish, most of it was just coral.

It is far more expensive than a conventional tank to set up, but once set up, it is actually easy to maintain.
Be prepared to learn more about salinity, water temperature, PH, and bacterial growth than you ever wanted to know, though. Most types of coral are much more sensitive to such changes than fish are.
smokey4life
ocalhoun wrote:
jabce85 wrote:

I've known someone who did. He had several huge tanks, but only a handful of fish, most of it was just coral.

It is far more expensive than a conventional tank to set up, but once set up, it is actually easy to maintain.
Be prepared to learn more about salinity, water temperature, PH, and bacterial growth than you ever wanted to know, though. Most types of coral are much more sensitive to such changes than fish are.

wow sounds like thats WAY more work then im looking to do Wink lol however if you guys are referring to the natural live coral and whatnot like i seen at the pet shops then that would be really neat to have just seems like far too much maintenance for me to keep up with.
dude_xyx
Never have bothered about reef since those are too expensive to setup and maintain.

Yesterday I bought a huge pair of high fin swardtails. They are big like 4 inches or more. First time I ve seen this big sward tails. Good bright red colors too.
Radar
Fish tank, yes, fish, no. In my family at least they seemed to a pet when my siblings were younger, but now they're a bit over it.

Actually, maybe we removed even the tank these days.
furtasacra
I have my ex-husband's empty 75-gallon aquarium collecting dust and taking up floor space in my tiny little bungalow, one of those 1-gallon mini-tanks on my desk with some neon tetras in it, and a small decorative pond full of goldfish and minnows in my garden.

I like the pond best, because it attracts frogs, lizards, birds, and other bug-eating critters, and I don't even have to feed the fish, because they're all fat and happy on mosquito larvae.
dude_xyx
I have Neon Tetra too. I like them a lot. they are peaceful and very beautiful when they swim as a school.

Gold fish and Koi love ponds. If I had a pond I would have put them together than any other type of fish.
Insanity
Unfortunately, my fish keep dying on me every so often so I have decided to not keep any fish for now, even though my backyard has the perfect place to construct a koi pond... it has all the rocks and things necessary for it too.
dude_xyx
I lost more fish in last 2 weeks than I lost in last 3 years all together. Deceases. Betta pair and my new High fin swardtail pair died from Cotton Mouth decease. and Golden Severum from pop eye. Its very hot hear these days so it must be the reason.
dude_xyx
My Bolivian Rams ve decided to spawn. Smile

Female is guarding eggs.
nigam
i have a flowerhorn, koi angel fish and koi....it makes my stressful day a relaxing one once i saw them.....it is truly a stree-free...
dude_xyx
nigam wrote:
i have a flowerhorn, koi angel fish and koi....it makes my stressful day a relaxing one once i saw them.....it is truly a stree-free...

I have pair of Flowerhorn in separate isolated tanks. They are too aggressive to be kept in a community tank. What about your Flowerhorn ?
programitv
I have three goldfishes and a cleaning fish ( don`t know the right name for it in English ). I have them since one year and a half, and I am quite happy as they seem to be very resistant and don`t need a lot of care - I have a water pump and filters in my aquarium, so I don`t need to change the water too often.
If I am away for a couple of days I don`t need to let someone taking care of their food etc. as you can find in shops food for multiple days.

They never reproduced though, I don`t know if they are not old enough or the conditions are not proper. Did someone have their goldfish reproduced in home conditions? How?
Thanks
dude_xyx
Gold fish can be breed in a home tank. But you might need a separate tank for this. You need to have a pebble layer at bottom and bushy water plant. Normally you need to put 2 males and 1 females in afternoon or evening. female start laying eggs in mid night or before dawn. you have to take all of them out of the tank immediately when its over. because they eat their own eggs.

First thing is you need to find the gender of your 3 gold fish. Maybe all 3 of them are in same gender.
jigoku05
I have a 20g tank and a small concrete pond which houses kois.
Ankhanu
I just set up a 15gal tank after not having an aquarium for about 3 years. It's great to have some fish again Smile The water's cleared somewhat, I've populated with some fish... things seem good.
Right now there are 4ea. of neon tetras, black neon tetras and red phantom tetras, 3x peppered corydoras, a clown loach, red-tailed black shark, dwarf gourami and 2x bumblebee catfish.

dude_xyx
Clown Loach is one of my favorite fish ! Also Neon Tetra. I think your tank need few more pairs of Neons. They are great school fish. They love to swim as a school when they have at least 8-10 fish in group. Clown Loach love tiger barbs but your community is not good for them since they nip fins.
Ankhanu
Yeah, I've had tiger barbs in the past (my first tank came with them, I bought it 2nd hand); I'm not terribly fond of them Smile

Re: more neons - I'd like to have more, but it's only a 15gal. tank, I don't want to overload it.
dude_xyx
Tiger Barbs can e pretty aggressive. But still I like to see them schooling around the tank. They are very active ! These days I have school of Golden Barbs. They are cool too.
paul_indo
I keep my fish in the refrigerator, they stay fresh longer that way.

Sorry fish lovers, just joking.
LittleBlackKitten
I have a couple tanks around and about. I've got a regular 33 galon tank with an albino African Clawed Frog by himself. Might test his temperment with larger fish and see if we can have some cichlids in with him. If not, we'll look for someone to adopt him. We also have a 33 galon hex saltwater tank we're starting to build up. Not too much in there right now; just some live rock, blue star polyps, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 yellowfin blacksaddleback clownfish, and a bangaii cardinal we'll likely look to adopt out once we get our hawkfish and seahorses. Yes I know clowns and seahorses dont mix, that's because of the anemones; we dont have anemonies, so it will be fine. My 4 year old son has a betta, and there's an African Dwarf Frog in his own little tank on my husband's nightstand. I eventually want to get a pair of discus fish and breed them.
dude_xyx
Interesting bunch of tanks and fish you have. I have Discus fish and love them. Breeding them is a different story. If it take 2 years fry to become breeding size adults. and to get them grow properly within 2 years you have to change 50% water everyday and feed them 5-8 times a day.

Discus are the king of Aquarium fish and they really demand to be like kings. So unless you are upto this don't buy them. (They are very expensive too). But if you are like them and willing to do all this then they are the best fish to keep.
dude_xyx
A pair of Discus had spawned in My Discus community tank. They were attacking all other Discus and there was nothing I could do. Also it was their second time having eggs ( First time hadn't worked either ) and were inexperienced about this. There were around seven wigglers but none lasted more than 24 hours. I ll put them in a new their own tank soon. So I hope next time will be better !

hersandal
Yes we do have fish, since I was I child I already keep this kind of pets. for the moment I have 1 fishtank which has 1 Arowana and 1 Flowerhorn. It's nice to watch them every morning. It keeps me relax everytime I look at them. I feed the flowehorn 3 times a day and the Arowana for every other day. I fed my arowana with live roaches and lizard that you can find on the wall of your house.
dude_xyx
Don't Arowana and Flowerhorn fight with each other ? I have 2 Flowerhorns and they are very aggressive. I don't think I can keep them with other fish. Maybe I should try with my Oscars.
hersandal
Nope if you have keep them in 1 tank they will fight to death. I do have 1 tank but what I did is to put some divider on the tank and put the tint on the division so that they will not see each other. Because I tried before which I didn't put any tint on the divider the Arowana broke the divider just to fight or eat the flowerhorn.
dude_xyx
I see. I use the same method. I have 2 Flowerhorns and they don't like each other. So I use a divider too.

Few weeks ago an beautiful pair of jewels. This is the first time I found a real pair because they don't pair out because we put males and females together.
nigam
i have lots of fishes too...i do have flowerhorns, red albino and koi angel fish, gold fish, and different kois too. it is totally a stress free everytime i watched them after work Smile
dude_xyx
Gold fish and Koi are great to watch. They are bright and lovely. Also very active too. I used to love those malti color calico Gold fish hhough I don't have gold fish or Koi anymore. I'm more into Cichild kinds now. I have one lone pure white Angel.
driftingfe3s
Hi all! My brother's girlfriend gave me a betta a few weeks ago that she didn't want and I ended up getting a 10 gallon tank, filter and heater for it. I also got 2 apple snails and a african dwarf frog.

I want to get more fish and was thinking of getting some albino cories or some neon tetras. Anyone have any suggestions for what kind of fish I should get?
Ankhanu
Those should be ok with the Betta.
You're going to want to be careful what you put in with it; Bettas don't tend to be aggressive, but can certainly be a target of aggression. Some fish are habitual fin nippers, and Bettas are an easy target, as they have such long fins and are pretty slow. Cories and neons are pretty peaceful and you shouldn't have any conflict.

With a 10Gal tank, you're going to want to keep your community small. You're pretty much reaching the limit of what should go in there with what you have planned now.
hersandal
My flower horn on my tank keeps getting bigger everyday, every time he/she sees me, the flower horn will swim back and forth to the tank as he/she is asking for a food. it has a very humpy head while the color are red and black. it's nice to see the fish every morning. especially when you feeling down and stressful.
dude_xyx
@ Ankhanu : Those Apple snails can become a real problem because sometimes they breed like hell. Also Since your tank is only 10 gallons you can't put too many fish there. Also You have to put kinds of fish which compatible with Betta. Never put Guppies with Betta because Betta which tend to attack Guppies because of their long colorful fins. I think Tiger Barbs could be good with Betta. Only 2 pairs. they both from East Asia so I think Betta and Tiger Barbs can live together.

@ hersandal : I have 2 FlowerHorns too but they don't have hump on their head. I think they are the humpless kind which is not expensive.
standready
I once got stuck with an unwanted 10 gallon fish tank that had three goldfish in it. They were interesting to watch when I had the time. They hung around here for a few years.
Had a friend that a huge tank with two Oscars. Those things get HUGE!
Ankhanu
dude_xyx wrote:
...I think Tiger Barbs could be good with Betta. Only 2 pairs. they both from East Asia so I think Betta and Tiger Barbs can live together..

Tiger barbs and Bettas are actually a REALLY bad pairing. Tiger barbs are semi-aggressive fin-nippers and the Betta is a prime target for this behaviour. If you mix the two, within a couple days your Betta's fins will be severely damaged, a few days later, it will be dead. The Tiger barbs will do just fine of course, but it's a mix fatal to the betta.
dude_xyx
Well I had both these guys in same tank. I had a school of barbs, like tiger barbs, Green tiger barbs, gold barbs etc. There was a nice Blue fighter. First barbs were curious and tried to touch the betta but he didn't like the idea. Also he didn't hide either. anyway tiger barbs learn to stay away from the Betta.

But I agree with you because of one reason. 10 gallon tank is too small for keep both these guys. Bigger the tank better they behave. I even had 2 male Battas in same tank. But tank was a 4 feet community tank. They had their territories and stayed in.
nigam
dude_xyx wrote:
nigam wrote:

I have pair of Flowerhorn in separate isolated tanks. They are too aggressive to be kept in a community tank. What about your Flowerhorn ?

yes, they should be separated....my other flower horn...died last week because my staff cleaned the tank and he almost empty the water..
dude_xyx
nigam wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:
nigam wrote:

yes, they should be separated....my other flower horn...died last week because my staff cleaned the tank and he almost empty the water..

Ahh That's sad. Flowerhorns are pretty hardy fish but sudden big water change can be deadly for any kind of fish. Specially water hasn't change for while.
IceCreamTruck
I will post a picture of my favorite tank here... I have quite a few tanks. 120 gallons over 4 tanks in my small condo. Three of them are currently running.

I used to have a wide variety of fish, including angels that you guys are discussing can be aggressive, but they are still my current favorite. The comets never die, however, and are still going strong. I did not have a fish extinction, but rather sold off a large set up tank which I hated to see go, but it was ready, and all the tropical fish went with it because they require air and wouldn't survive the downsizing that I was doing.

I liked the Angel fish acting like puppy dogs when I would come home from work so that I would feed them. They are smart and see a lot that goes on outside the fish tank.

I keep the comets to set up tanks, so the water stays nice and balanced. I've only had two or three die of the whole population, so now I have 15 of those, and they all started out as tiny feeder fish that I bought for usually under 15cents a piece. I've had some of them for almost 6 years!

I guess I have a question: how old are comets supposed to get?
dude_xyx
Sounds like nice stuff ! I hope You will post photos soon !

I had to separate one of my 3 Oscars. It seems other two had decide to mate and didn't like this guy swimming around the spot they are cleaning for eggs. But they have been cleaning this spot for over month now !
IceCreamTruck
dude_xyx wrote:
Sounds like nice stuff ! I hope You will post photos soon !

I had to separate one of my 3 Oscars. It seems other two had decide to mate and didn't like this guy swimming around the spot they are cleaning for eggs. But they have been cleaning this spot for over month now !

Take a picture and show us!! I cleaned up my tank yesterday to make it all pretty for a picture. There was nothing wrong with it, but where it sits in my new apartment it gets some sunlight, so it's growing algae now. You guys will get to see it soon enough.

You should get some pictures online too! Fish are awesome
dude_xyx
Okey. Here are some of my fish. Couple of photos are old and I think I posted those here somewhere.

My Discus fish. Those orange color Discus are called Pigeon red.

This is my Albino Oscar fish. This is one of older photos. Now I only have one Albino and pair of Black Oscar

This is a jewel fish. Birght red color comes out when they are about to breed.
IceCreamTruck
These are wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing!
dude_xyx
Last week I bought a pair of Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leeri) and a Blue female Crayfish. I think guy at petshop caught the wrong one, not the one I selected. She stays inside the clay pot I put in her tank and not very active. But again crayfish usually active at night than day time.
Ankhanu
dude_xyx wrote:
Last week I bought a pair of Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leeri) and a Blue female Crayfish. I think guy at petshop caught the wrong one, not the one I selected. She stays inside the clay pot I put in her tank and not very active. But again crayfish usually active at night than day time.

I've had a pearl gourami before, they're pretty docile and attractive fish. Very easy to keep.

The crayfish my also be recently molted, or preparing to molt. It's not gonna be out and about until it's hardened up again, if so.
dude_xyx
When I bought Crayfish for first time years ago I had a nasty supprice because one of those Crayfish had decided to shed his shell. I thought one of them were dead and nearly got freaked out !
GoldenEagle
I had fish for most of childhood growing up. I have moved out of the house now, but there are something like 10 fish tanks in my house. Now that I'm living out on my own I was thinking about getting into fish again, but the other members of my family pretty much ran the show before. (I was quite young at the time)

If I made a tank now, I'd start with something easy like some Neon tetras until I got the hang of it again.
Bluedoll
Someone recently gave me a turtle (little red dot on its cheak), in a very large tank but the turtle is grown so it does include large deposits of its being so that cleaning is a bigger issue than raising my tropicals that I like much more, I think. Not sure what to do. Anyone else here ever had a turtle?
Ankhanu
I've had interest in having turtle, but there's legislation against selling them here in Nova Scotia.
If you no longer want it and are looking to pass it on, you might try the ROM? I think they might have a turtle display... but I was only in the ROM once, after hours to help curate the insect collection, so I didn't have a good look around.
Alternatively, posting it in the local pet stores or a kijiji ad will probably find it a home pretty quick.
dude_xyx
Ankhanu, I think the turtle type you are talking about is The Red-eared Slider. It's illegal to sell baby Red-eared Sliders in the U.S. so I don't think aquariums gonna take it. Maybe you can try with a local Zoo ?

I have seen a mini turtle type in aquariums. They are only 2-3 inches long.
GoldenEagle
Bluedoll wrote:
Someone recently gave me a turtle (little red dot on its cheak), in a very large tank but the turtle is grown so it does include large deposits of its being so that cleaning is a bigger issue than raising my tropicals that I like much more, I think. Not sure what to do. Anyone else here ever had a turtle?

Make sure the turtle has a way to get out of the water otherwise it may get "soft shell". A lot of people end up killing their turtles this way....
Radar
There was a fishtank a while ago. Now it's gone. It may have been gone for several months/years before I concretely realised that it was gone. This is indicative of just how much attention I paid to it.
dude_xyx
Radar wrote:
There was a fishtank a while ago. Now it's gone. It may have been gone for several months/years before I concretely realised that it was gone. This is indicative of just how much attention I paid to it.

Well no point of keeping an fish tank if you have no time for it. Just like for dogs fish need time and care too. At least dogs can run away if you don't pay attention. Fish are not that lucky !!
QVibe
No i dont, but i love to fish Very Happy
dude_xyx
QVibe wrote:
No i dont, but i love to fish Very Happy

I used to fish. Not to eat but to put in to my tanks. There was a beautiful stream and paddy fields like 5km away from my home. I used to go there with my friends when was like 10 years old. We would spend whole day there try to catch fish.
dude_xyx
This is one of my Discus fish. This guy is a Blue Snake skin Discus fish.

p3p07
Has anyone tried keeping predatory fish? Some of this kind are easy to keep and require little maintenance, only regular feeding and changing of water.

I have a polypterus senegalus. It's been with me for 4 years now and it has grown to its full length. Really easy to keep, only needs a 15gallon tank, clean water, and little fishes to eat. It looks like a short snake Smile Once kept an alligator gar, but it grew too large for the tank and had to give it away.
dude_xyx
I have bunch of predatory fish. Tiger Oscar pair, Albino Oscar, Flower horns ( 2 guys live in separate tanks), Jewel pair.