FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash - Is it dying?

Enterprise
I keep hearing that when CSS3 and HTML5 get fully adopted, Flash will have little to no more use in the web designing world. What do you think? This is a valid concern with things like the new iPad not even being flash-compatible.

And, feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, it's probably true. xD
Ghost Rider103
I personally think it will die.

It's horrible for SEO, which is why most people don't even use it these days. It's also not compatible with every home computer user. If a user doesn't have flash on their computer, they won't even be able to view a flash website.

I think it's just a matter of time before flash completely dies. I actually hope it does.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

It's horrible for SEO, which is why most people don't even use it these days. It's also not compatible with every home computer user. If a user doesn't have flash on their computer, they won't even be able to view a flash website.

I think it's just a matter of time before flash completely dies. I actually hope it does.
I'll be very happy if it died, as there has to be something simpler that a person can use? YouTube for me has distinct possibilities.
crossroads
I feel that it will be going away very quickly soon because of the advances in CSS and Javascript having the ability to be much more flexible, user friendly, and able to do just about anything flash can do now. Also you will not have the large flash files to upload and slow down your page load time. You will be able to edit the Java/CSS much fast and easier then you would flash files. I am happy to see flash go away because Ive never spent the time to learn it and I went towards CSS and Java much more because I thought they had so much more potential.. Flash to me seems like a 1 way thing. You can create flash files which limits you in the things you can do with it. With Java/CSS the possibilities are endless.
Cliffer
Enterprise wrote:
I keep hearing that when CSS3 and HTML5 get fully adopted, Flash will have little to no more use in the web designing world. What do you think? This is a valid concern with things like the new iPad not even being flash-compatible.

And, feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, it's probably true. xD

oh,really? if so,the web will lose many interestingness...
Peterssidan
I don't know but it sounds good to me. flash is in the claws of Adobe and the Linux plugin is no good. I can't watch a flash movie in full screen without terrible lag. Not that I like Javascript as a programming language. It's too loosely typed in my opinion but Actionscript aren't better (I don't know of versions beyond 2).
Hogwarts
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

To quote several sources, upwards of 99% of the PCs that connect to the internet have flash installed.
MM357
Enterprise wrote:
I keep hearing that when CSS3 and HTML5 get fully adopted, Flash will have little to no more use in the web designing world.

If it comes to abilities .. I think HTML5 and CSS3 with some more W3C recommendations will give us much more than power than what flash used to give us, but the problem IMO is that a lot of designers are used to do their work using flash, a lot of business is based on flash, so I think it will be a matter of time and acceptance of the web design society.

but no one can ignore the fact that a lot of designers and design businesses are in favor of replacing flash abilities with W3C recommendations when browsers have the enough support of those recommendations
Hogwarts
MM357 wrote:
Enterprise wrote:
I keep hearing that when CSS3 and HTML5 get fully adopted, Flash will have little to no more use in the web designing world.

If it comes to abilities .. I think HTML5 and CSS3 with some more W3C recommendations will give us much more than power than what flash used to give us, but the problem IMO is that a lot of designers are used to do their work using flash, a lot of business is based on flash, so I think it will be a matter of time and acceptance of the web design society.

but no one can ignore the fact that a lot of designers and design businesses are in favor of replacing flash abilities with W3C recommendations when browsers have the enough support of those recommendations

Name one alternative for interactive things, such as games, that can be done without ending up like Travian or being written in a cruddy language (which rules out Java)? There are things that flash is really quite good for <_<
MM357
Hogwarts wrote:

Name one alternative for interactive things, such as games, that can be done without ending up like Travian or being written in a cruddy language (which rules out Java)? There are things that flash is really quite good for <_<

SVG is a W3C recommendation that has more organized code and can be used with javascript and other DOM-based technologies and recommendations.

although I agree that SVG 1.1 lacks audio support which is a big problem talking about flash replacement, but SVG 1.2 Tiny specification fixed it, I just hope that someday we will see firefox and other gecko based browsers completely support SVG 1.1 Smile .. only Opera between all widely used browsers achieved an A+ in supporting SVG 1.1 .. so it is still a long way I know
The-Nisk
Don't like flash, hope it dies. As for web-designers who are used to using flash....boohoo learn CSS + javascript, or I'll take over your customers no problem.

Hate flash ads even more!
imagefree
flash is not good for many reasons, and SEO an important one of them. Some flash ads are a huge burden on your browser and make it crash (my opera crashes sometime). Also flash creates an accessibility problem.
Arty
Will HTML5 replace all the flash games?
bencen
Quote:

No, it won't. HTML5 is good, but Flash knows a lot better. And it's not easy to see the source code!
Now everything's in Flash. It can't die. (O, dinosaurs? yeas, maxbe CAN die). But adobe is making lash better. It won't die.
bencen
Arty wrote:
Will HTML5 replace all the flash games?

No, it won't. It is not as good as flash (I think, but I don't really know it), but Flash... You know, Adobe is developing it, everyone thinks 'Flash? Wow! It's getting better!' or "HTML5? No! Why? HTML is not good!' or "HTML5? What? No, I won't learn something new. Flash is ok for me, thanks" or 'HTML5? No! They can see my source easily! I don't develop opensource games!'
amperx
no matter how much i wanted flash to die, but i always ends up doing work related to it, as to why, almost 90%+ users on the interwebz is using flash as a means to media, and the internet is media dependent, although javascript ,html5 css3 specs are getting better and better, it still hasn't catch up imo to flash, but when the day arrives that flash is really gonna die then
Arty
So no, flash won't die. But silverlight surly will. ^_^
cemycc
it will take ages for HTML5 to replace the Flash .
Yea, for sure flash will die, but not now...
Arty
If flash dies, it'll probably be because of the thing that replaces webpages (holographic displays, perhaps?).
Flakky
Hogwarts wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

To quote several sources, upwards of 99% of the PCs that connect to the internet have flash installed.
Probably true. My computers have flash real soon because if I don't then it will get installed real quick without me actually going to look for it. It's so important that browsers will automatically do it.

I don't hope flash will die. It serves great purposes if you look at YouTube for example. For SEO, YouTube videos are fine.
I do hope there will be no more websites which are completely in flash. I truly dislike that.
shinodan
The fact that the ipad doesnt support flash will inevitabley force it out of the scene a bit.
I think it plays a big part in the internet though, i dont think it will be washed away anytime soon

Websites like newgrounds were founded on flash content, so much so that they use this for making their games, Alien Homnid, Castle crashers, Super meat boy. (all fantastic games btw Very Happy)

I love flash i do.
pentangeli
html is still around.
kitsrock
shinodan wrote:

Websites like newgrounds were founded on flash content, so much so that they use this for making their games, Alien Homnid, Castle crashers, Super meat boy. (all fantastic games btw Very Happy)

I love flash i do.

I am inclined to agree with shinodan. I like (or even love) flash as an application for games, animated shorts, etc.. but I despise it as a website. It's slow, messy, incompatible and inflexible when used as a website.
ujjawall
what i can creat website from html? Laughing Laughing
andycorleone
Iphone is the best seller mobile phone at the moment (it don't alow to run any flash) I think if Adobe and apple have an agreement it will die
miyustar
andycorleone wrote:
Iphone is the best seller mobile phone at the moment (it don't alow to run any flash) I think if Adobe and apple have an agreement it will die

Yeah i do find it a bother when the site loads on flash thus failing on my iphone.
But then again Flash seems to be a way out for visual people like me who enjoy seeing is what you get for designing.

Javascript is tough!
pentangeli
miyustar wrote:
visual people like me who enjoy seeing is what you get for designing.

That's the cusp of it. Some designers are more capable than others. Perhaps that's unfair (it's not really, it's just true. It's 'unkind'). Some designers are more visual than others. Some are content to be 'templatey' and only really showed up on the radar after the populous trend of minimalism (something I personally believe to be an allusion of neatness created by overly-simplistic approach and dare I say, lack of creativity?) began to take mainstream precedence. I've seen some beautifully elegant websites making great use of white space and subtlety, but I've rarely gone back for a second look. The websites that blow my mind are ones that incorporate true art. Often via animation and motion graphics offering some sort of user interactivity. Rollovers don't exactly fill me with glee, ya know? It's not the final extent what I design, what I sell or what inspires me. Flash allows the internet to maintain a 3rd dimension. And sure it may die out, but it's loss. Make no mistake about it. And apple this, apple that. Apple don't care! haha. Not one bit. They want to move units. That's all. The dumber, uglier and more boring websites get, the easier it is for their applications accommodate them, and...now, you tell me... shouldn't that be the other way around?

Keep the art alive people. Nobody wants to look at a medicine packet.
devilimut
on the way.. nice info
devilimut
what happen in my HTML
pll
I really think it's dying. Slowly but surely we will be able to code everything and amazing stuff in HTML .
I think that even the software to make website designs will slowly die. (but people will still use photoshop in ads and publicity)
Sw4k1ll4r
Its dying. I mean, theres no pros for it only cons... (Exept some online games)
D'Artagnan
Well flash is passing away from sometime now, but id say it had a graceful and fullfiling life,
Adobe itself is making and new and improved animation tool based o html5 css3 and javascript with jquery, although i think the only professionals who feel treathened by this long sung dead sentence are the lazy meiocre ones, because adobe edge will be just like an improved version of flash:

you can take a sneak peak on a alpha version here, as a developer i think its awesome, but the lack of proper compatibility with new technologies mainly from microsoft is going to keep this tecnology sunk for a while

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/