FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Backing up a Sony Ericsson cellphone contacts without Outlk

Tony The Tiger
I have acquired a Sony Ericsson Walkman W518a cellphone. I have been able to get all my contacts transferred from my Motorola RAZR V3 to my Sony Walkman. However, it uses Sony Ericsson PC Suite software to synchronize contacts, which is a Microsoft Outlook based software. My computer has a version of Office that does not include outlook. Is there another way to backup my cellphone? What should I do?
Marcuzzo
I though that the Sony Ericsson PC Suite only used outlook to sync the outlook calendar.
if you are unable to use the PC suite because of outlook, the developers of the PC suite are morons.
why write software that needs other microsoft software to work.
did they forget about the people that use linux and Mac? or the people that simply don't want to use ms outlook.

I haven't had similar experiences but maybe the Office 2010 beta pack can help you out.

Hope this helps.
cheers
Tony The Tiger
Marcuzzo wrote:
I though that the Sony Ericsson PC Suite only used outlook to sync the outlook calendar.
if you are unable to use the PC suite because of outlook, the developers of the PC suite are morons.
why write software that needs other microsoft software to work.
did they forget about the people that use linux and Mac? or the people that simply don't want to use ms outlook.

I haven't had similar experiences but maybe the Office 2010 beta pack can help you out.

Hope this helps.
cheers

I have a 2007 Hewlett Packard DV9000T with Windows Vista and Office Home and Student 2007 edition. I am wondering if there is a way to install only the trial version of Outlook. I have found a 60-day trial version of Office Professional at http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/product.aspx?sku=3203819&culture=en-US , but I do not want to install the professional version for fear of messing up my Home and Student version.
anakin_skyrunner
I don't think that the PCSuite is based upon Outlook resp. uses it for backup and synching - why should the developers do that?

@Marcuzzo
The SE software for Macs is called Sony Ericsson iSync and differentiates from the PC Suite.

@topic
You should definitely NOT install the 60-day trial because you're right - it might mess up your already installed version. I also recommend you to download the Office 2010 beta because you can install it separately to Office 2007. (you cannot install two versions of Outlook but that shouldn't bother you Wink )
Tony The Tiger
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
I don't think that the PCSuite is based upon Outlook resp. uses it for backup and synching - why should the developers do that?

Regardless of whether it is based upon Outlook, Outlook is required to run it.

anakin_skyrunner wrote:
You should definitely NOT install the 60-day trial because you're right - it might mess up your already installed version. I also recommend you to download the Office 2010 beta because you can install it separately to Office 2007. (you cannot install two versions of Outlook but that shouldn't bother you Wink )

I have installed the Office 2010 beta and it seems to have erased or overwritten my previously installed Office 2007. Is the beta version likely to expire at some point in the future or should I just continue to use it? I.E., as I start to create documents with Office 2010 beta, will I be committing to the official O2010 when it is released or will I be able to revert to using Office 2007 at some point without loss of access to the files created in 2010?
anakin_skyrunner
Mm, in this case you haven't looked at the options of the installer of Office 2010, I can't remember whether I just changed the installation path or if the installer included the options, however I was able to successfully run 2007 and 2010 side-by-side, apart from Outlook. Why didn't you just install Outlook btw?

The beta expires in October 2010, so you have enough time to either uninstall it or upgrade to the RTM builds. Office 2010 basically uses the same file formats (docx, xlsx and pptx) as 2007, so you are able to open and edit files in 2007 that were created with the newer one. However, certain features of 2010 like the font formatting without using WordArts are lost once you open the file in 2007.
But you definitely do not loose any of your data.
Tony The Tiger
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
Mm, in this case you haven't looked at the options of the installer of Office 2010, I can't remember whether I just changed the installation path or if the installer included the options, however I was able to successfully run 2007 and 2010 side-by-side, apart from Outlook. Why didn't you just install Outlook btw?

The beta expires in October 2010, so you have enough time to either uninstall it or upgrade to the RTM builds. Office 2010 basically uses the same file formats (docx, xlsx and pptx) as 2007, so you are able to open and edit files in 2007 that were created with the newer one. However, certain features of 2010 like the font formatting without using WordArts are lost once you open the file in 2007.
But you definitely do not loose any of your data.

I am quite pleased that I did not just install Outlook. It seems that there are numerous interesting features in Outlook. I am experimenting with Office 2010 Beta and enjoying the free trial. I use mostly Excel and Word. Both 2010 versions are great improvements from the Office 2007 versions that I currently have with proper licensing. I will continue to use Office 2010 Beta until October when I have to make another decision.
anakin_skyrunner
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I am quite pleased that I did not just install Outlook. It seems that there are numerous interesting features in Outlook. I am experimenting with Office 2010 Beta and enjoying the free trial. I use mostly Excel and Word. Both 2010 versions are great improvements from the Office 2007 versions that I currently have with proper licensing. I will continue to use Office 2010 Beta until October when I have to make another decision.

I'm sorry, but your post sounds as if you were forced by Microsoft to say that^^ But basically you are right of course, I love them too and use them instead of my 2007 ProPlus. Outlook's just sooo much better, have you tried conversation view? I know this is common in Gmail and other mail providers, but I just like having an application for my mail... and Outlook does a pretty good job (apart from the html mails Rolling Eyes )

But well, obviously your problem is solved now?

Have fun with your beta and mobile Wink
Tony The Tiger
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

I'm sorry, but your post sounds as if you were forced by Microsoft to say that^^ But basically you are right of course, I love them too and use them instead of my 2007 ProPlus. Outlook's just sooo much better, have you tried conversation view? I know this is common in Gmail and other mail providers, but I just like having an application for my mail... and Outlook does a pretty good job (apart from the html mails Rolling Eyes )

But well, obviously your problem is solved now?

Have fun with your beta and mobile Wink

Actually, I misspoke. I have bee using features of various Office programs, not Outlook. I meant "interesting features" of Office. I have not been paid by Microsoft however. I still use Gmail.