FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


New forum about amazing constructions





Bondings
I was thinking about making some posts about some amazing constructions ("amazing constructions" is the best description I can think of at the moment). However after some thinking it might be worth a separate forum. There are a lot of very interesting constructions and they might deserve a dedicated forum.

What I mean is all constructions that are special. So not things created by nature like waterfalls or similar, only stuff made by man. Also no vehicles, that is already covered by another forum. Anything ranging from monuments, big buildings, towers, water structures, artificial islands to space stations.

What do you think?
nam_siddharth
It will better to rearrange existing forums before adding any new one. There are many related forums which creates confusions among posters. For example
1. It will be better to have one forum for Computer rather than 4 different sub-forums.
2. "Websites" and "Link Exchange" do not deserve 2 different forums.

One more thing can be done to make forums page more attractive. Heading of each category should be in left side of the page.
Hogwarts
nam_siddharth wrote:
1. It will be better to have one forum for Computer rather than 4 different sub-forums.

No! Bad bad bad! *hits you with a stick*. You can't do that! The coding forums are already lacking in scope and specificity, let's not replicate that problem with the computer forums! Ignoring the lack of forums such as code theory, I can't really see why JavaScript belongs in the HTML/CSS forum. Similarly, I don't particularly want to see people's computer problems/support threads littering the software/hardware forums -- given I, at least for one, am not all that interested in the support forum. I'm more interested in discussing software and hardware, not discussing the infinite ways in which people somehow manage to break them.

Quote:
2. "Websites" and "Link Exchange" do not deserve 2 different forums.

Also, yes they do. They're completely different forums; some people are linking to websites they find interesting, such as somebody may want to tell people about the new 'metacafe' site they just found, whilst some people want to arrange link exchanges with other people. Completely different things Evil or Very Mad


On the idea of the 'amazing constructions' forum; it seems specific enough, but I can't see enough of a demand for it. I think, perhaps, changing 'constructions' to 'creations' -- or something those lines -- which could also have things that are on a smaller scale inclusive of things like you would find on hackaday would be better.
Bondings
It might be rather specific, but at least to me it seems rather interesting. I would definitely like to read posts about these constructions and how they were made and used for. And what happened to them. I don't know how many people here are interested in these kind of things.

However, I'm pretty sure there is enough potential for thousands of topics, all about different creations around the world. And most of them are rarely known, even by people living in the same country.

A very long and impressive bridge was built some time ago in France. In Belgium we have 2 gigantic lifts for boats. There are also initiatives to build huge wind farms on the sea. The Netherlands have even more impressive water infrastructure. I could give a lot more examples, just in the countries close by where I live.

About small creations, those are also interesting. However, they are rather different things and I wouldn't like to put them in the same forum. Maybe they deserve a forum on their own.

By the way, I think this forum would be very suited for the essay competitions. Every participant would research and write about a certain construction. The winner gets a domain and after the competition the essays are moved to this forum as more-or-less normal topics, providing a lot of interesting discussion topics.
truespeed
You could give it an ironic title "under construction"
Ghost Rider103
I think it's a great idea. However I think it should be called architecture rather than Constructions.

While you're at it, I think it would be good to clean up some of the other forums. I personally would like to see a specific forum for design only. Right now we have design questions/topics posted in both film-making and the design tips forum. Would be good to maybe eliminate one, or modify one making it more specific so the same type of questions aren't posted in two different forums.
AftershockVibe
Here's an idea: How about generalising this?

If there are plans to have competition-style posts anyway, then why not combine the two ideas?
If someone wishes to write an "article" about a topic, there's no need to limit it to "amazing constructions".

For example, while you might want to focus on an awe-inspiring building, I might want to write about, e.g., a disease and its treatment or a political issue or whatever.

This would be slightly different from (say) Wikipedia, since articles can be less specific. It would also be a departure from Frihost's usual topic format which tend to be more conversational discussions whereas these would be "This is an article I've written. Comments?".

You could separate this out into a forum with a name like "Article Spotlight" or "Spotlight" or similar. There will probably be a need for some sort of submission, ranking or moderation system though.
Bondings
AftershockVibe wrote:
Here's an idea: How about generalising this?

If there are plans to have competition-style posts anyway, then why not combine the two ideas?
If someone wishes to write an "article" about a topic, there's no need to limit it to "amazing constructions".

For example, while you might want to focus on an awe-inspiring building, I might want to write about, e.g., a disease and its treatment or a political issue or whatever.

This would be slightly different from (say) Wikipedia, since articles can be less specific. It would also be a departure from Frihost's usual topic format which tend to be more conversational discussions whereas these would be "This is an article I've written. Comments?".

You could separate this out into a forum with a name like "Article Spotlight" or "Spotlight" or similar. There will probably be a need for some sort of submission, ranking or moderation system though.

One of the reasons for the essay competitions would be to enrich the forums with very decent and interesting posts. That's why I would rather like to put them in the existing forums. A separate forum does indeed have benefits, but the topics would be completely different and the current forums would get no benefit.

About the topics, yes of course there will be other topics, probably including an all-topic one or at least you can suggest a topic for one of the competitions.

The first competition will be about the history of things related to Frihost (actually related to hosting and the internet). I still need to finish some of the programming that is needed, especially the voting aspects.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
It might be rather specific, but at least to me it seems rather interesting. I would definitely like to read posts about these constructions and how they were made and used for. And what happened to them. I don't know how many people here are interested in these kind of things.

It is a little too specific...

But, wasn't there a suggestion for an architecture forum some time ago? Any topics about amazing constructions could probably be put in there, as well as a variety of other things.
deanhills
Excellent idea, but can we make it a bit broader to include engineering and make it "Amazing engineering and construction feats and disasters"? We would then be able to include space shuttles that have been developed as well as equipment for getting to Mars and taking photographs of Mars. Disasters like the Air Challenger disaster could be covered, or any famous building that has caved in due to bad construction reasons. We may even be able to discuss the twin towers in New York during 9/11 and whether the standards of construction of the steel structure could have withstood the head generated from a plane crash into the building.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Excellent idea, but can we make it a bit broader to include engineering and make it "Amazing engineering and construction feats and disasters"? We would then be able to include space shuttles that have been developed as well as equipment for getting to Mars and taking photographs of Mars. Disasters like the Air Challenger disaster could be covered, or any famous building that has caved in due to bad construction reasons. We may even be able to discuss the twin towers in New York during 9/11 and whether the standards of construction of the steel structure could have withstood the head generated from a plane crash into the building.

That's a good idea, although "Amazing engineering and construction feats and disasters" seems a bit too long for a title. Wink
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Excellent idea, but can we make it a bit broader to include engineering and make it "Amazing engineering and construction feats and disasters"? We would then be able to include space shuttles that have been developed as well as equipment for getting to Mars and taking photographs of Mars. Disasters like the Air Challenger disaster could be covered, or any famous building that has caved in due to bad construction reasons. We may even be able to discuss the twin towers in New York during 9/11 and whether the standards of construction of the steel structure could have withstood the head generated from a plane crash into the building.

That's a good idea, although "Amazing engineering and construction feats and disasters" seems a bit too long for a title. Wink
OK, good point, maybe your original suggested heading - Amazing Construction - can cover it all? A stickie could then give it a wider application?
Ghost Rider103
How about "Amazing Construction & Deconstruction"? Laughing
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
How about "Amazing Construction & Deconstruction"? Laughing
Good one, that would probably allow for natural disasters as well. Laughing
saratdear
I think "Amazing Architecture" would do just as well, and no, I don't think including natural disasters with that is a good idea.

However, I agree with some of the others that the current forums need to be merged, etc. For eg, I see hardly any activity in the "Advertising" forum (the one that deals with adsense, etc.) Couldn't it be merged with any other forum or even as a subforum? Do we really need seven forums under "Webmaster and Internet"? And the Link Exchange seems to be very dead. The last post was on December 18.

Also, another thing is the separate forums for Operating Systems and Software. Do you note that the description for the software forum says - "Discuss about Photoshop, Windows, Linux, Firefox, anti spam programs, voip and everything else."
Related topics
New forum area (computer problems)
New forum co-operation
Most useful topics to new forum
A new forum : Webmasters chat
New Forum
My new forum
Check out the new Forum!
New Forum Section
New Forum on SEO
Looking for forum posters for my new forum
New Forum Idea: Paranormal & Occult?
New forum: Amazing Projects
New Forum, constitution and laws
my new forum site
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.