FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Close any frozen software with SuperF4

escritor
When you try to close a software, Windows "only asks the program to quit, and lets it decide for itself what to do". If you use unstable programs that keep crashing now and then, I suggest you to install SuperF4 . It instantly kills any program. Smile
leontius
Can't you just open task manager, go to processes, and "end process"?
ProfessorY91
leontius wrote:

Absolutely, the aforementioned program is completely worthless.
Marcuzzo
yeah, I was about to say the same.
not that I have a lot of programms that don't respond anymore, but if they do... taskmanager and end process is my MO
escritor
ProfessorY91 wrote:
leontius wrote:

Absolutely, the aforementioned program is completely worthless.

As I've said before, the Windows options just tries to end processes - ie, when you manage to get to the options - , whereas the software instantly kills them. Maybe you were very lucky or have used only perfect computers.

Two examples of use:

http://code.google.com/p/superf4/wiki/About wrote:
Sometimes the task manager window can't be seen when Ctrl-Alt-Delete is pressed, this is useful as it immediately terminates the active window.

You might have encountered a game that hung because of some stupid bug, then your computer gets all slow and you just can't get out of the game since it's fullscreen and nothing happens when you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the task manager.
ProfessorY91
escritor wrote:

As I've said before, the Windows options just tries to end processes - ie, when you manage to get to the options - , whereas the software instantly kills them. Maybe you were very lucky or have used only perfect computers.

My computer certainly isn't perfect. There is a clear distinction between ending a task in Task Manager, which will ask the application to quit, and terminating a process. There is no distinction between "ending a process", "terminating a process" or "killing a process". You end a process, you free up system resources.

You are making it sound like the program is doing something different than killing a process in task manager. It is not. It is simply ending the process of the foreground window, rather than "ending task" in task manager.

In other words, its useless.

Furthermore, its extremely easy to write the code behind such a program. From a bash perspective:
taskkill /im notepad.exe works perfectly fine, if you can't reach the Task Manager dialog box.

Two examples of use:

Sometimes the task manager window can't be seen when Ctrl-Alt-Delete is pressed, this is useful as it immediately terminates the active window.

I don't know what the hell you have on your computer, but task manager is designed to be Always-On-Top, as per HWND handles in Windows. If you can't see task manager after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete, there is a program suppressing it, which needs to be removed.

You might have encountered a game that hung because of some stupid bug, then your computer gets all slow and you just can't get out of the game since it's fullscreen and nothing happens when you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the task manager.

Taskmanager is designed to exit full screen mode in Windows Vista and Windows 7. If I remember correctly, it exits full screen mode automatically in Windows XP as well.

In other words, your program is still useless.
Diablosblizz
The application tab in Task Manager doesn't quit, it asks it to quit like said. However, the processes tab in Task Manager FORCES the program to close.
ProfessorY91
Quote:

The application tab in Task Manager doesn't quit, it asks it to quit like said. However, the processes tab in Task Manager FORCES the program to close.

Meaning that the program doesn't do anything special at all, except allow you to skip going to the process tab in taskmanager for the foreground process. (Incidentally, it doesn't work for programs that allow you to terminate multiple processes (Google Chrome).

I still haven't found a use for this program.