FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

yay got an interview for a new job!

mattyj
Im currently working as a Quality, Safety and Environment Coordinator at a Mine...

An internal job was advertised for the position of State ENvironmental Advisor (advisor to 8 sites), so i applied for it, because its a promotion but also coz its closer to where im from (about 1hr away, and where i am now is about 6 hrs away) and is basically 5 mins from where my wife is from

So i applied not thinking i would get anywhere and the HR lady rang me yesterday to tell me that ive been shortlisted for an interview from 400 who applied to 5 to be interviewed! Im stoked

Now i just have to tell my boss...Coz this site is fairly isolated, and he has had trouble with a lot of people leaving my position, or being totally useless at it...He once threatened me with a shotgun if i quit, i hope he was joking Laughing

But the way i figure it is im better off telling him myself rather than him hearing elsewhere, and beause its internal he will probably hear about it at some stage...

Any ideas on how to tell him? lol
jwellsy
How about after work, over a beer.
soljarag
umm... that is a tricky situation.... if you tell him, he could let you go before you get the new job
Starrfoxx
Sounds exciting. I hope it all works out for you.
mattyj
i have a sneaky suspicion that i may have been railroaded by my manager and regional manager...i think they spoke with the environment manager and told him i was off limits...

coz i got the interview then got a very weird email from the enviro manager canceling it and my boss was acting all weird then gave me a pay rise....

i have began looking externally from my company now
soljarag
yeah, that can happen.... atleast you got a pay rise rather than getting fired Smile
deanhills
I've seen it happening too with a friend of mine. He applied for an external job in the same field, and at an organisation that had links with the company where he was working. When his boss heard he was applying for the position, he then had a discussion with the Director of the organisation where the new position was, and that killed it. At the time my friend did not know about it, and it all turned weird as well, as from being warmly received, there was all of a sudden a complete silence. It was only later that he found out about this. If you go externally, it would probably be wise to go for a company that has not connection with the one where you are presently working at. As maybe the same thing can happen again.
mattyj
deanhills wrote:
I've seen it happening too with a friend of mine. He applied for an external job in the same field, and at an organisation that had links with the company where he was working. When his boss heard he was applying for the position, he then had a discussion with the Director of the organisation where the new position was, and that killed it. At the time my friend did not know about it, and it all turned weird as well, as from being warmly received, there was all of a sudden a complete silence. It was only later that he found out about this. If you go externally, it would probably be wise to go for a company that has not connection with the one where you are presently working at. As maybe the same thing can happen again.

Im doing that, im currently working in industrial minerals, but looking to go back into the food industry where most of my experience is, so shouldnt be any issues with overlap there
andysart380
dude get me a job.....theres nothing in new hampshire
natilovesmike
good luck!
But I wouldn't tell your boss until you get the job for sure...just in case...
crimson_aria
haha, that is a confusing situation. good luck!
airh3ad
Dude prepare your self search some good answers on your position, interesting and complicated well good luck!
toasterintheoven
check craigslist, there are always jobs on craigslist, no matter where you are
mattyj
an update to this is i got a new role as Lab Coordinator at a large dairy food company, put my resignation in then an hour later got a call from my regional manager, offering me more money, to pay relocation to a bigger site in a bigger town and to create a new role for me solely focused on quality and enviro (not safety)

So i took that, was nice to feel wanted

Have been in the new role now for about 4 months and loving it
deanhills
mattyj wrote:
an update to this is i got a new role as Lab Coordinator at a large dairy food company, put my resignation in then an hour later got a call from my regional manager, offering me more money, to pay relocation to a bigger site in a bigger town and to create a new role for me solely focused on quality and enviro (not safety)

So i took that, was nice to feel wanted

Have been in the new role now for about 4 months and loving it
Congratulations that must feel like a brand-new job, but in familiar surroundings. Well done!
standready
Congratulations on the new job. I hope all works out well.
menino
Congrats MattyJ, you got a good pay raise as well, and proven that your indispensible to the company.
Great going, and all the best.