FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Learning Flash

polly-gone
What is the best way to learn to use Flash CS4?

I already bought 2 eBooks on the topics from O'Reilly, one on Flash CS4 and one on ActionScript 3.0, but what are some other ways to learn how to use these tools proficiently.

Thanks,

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
escritor
Have you bought an official CS4 licence too?
Bondings
The best way to learn a programming language/environment is to actually use it and make something with it. And that something should better be interesting/fun. I would suggest you try to create a simple game with it and when you face problems, search for solutions in your e-Books or on the internet.
polly-gone
Well, The fact that I actually got Flash CS4 was implied. It's kinda pointless to buy a book on it and not actually have the software. Smile

@Bondings That is what I plan to do, and that's how I have learned all the programs and 14-some programming languages that I know. It is just that the very basic parts elude me, but I now see that the books explain those in great detail.

Thanks,

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
iman
Try the basics first, like simple animations, manipulating frames, tweening, etc.
Then, if you have a programming background, actionscript wouldn't be too hard.
Just master the main syntax, then you can rely on Flash's F1 for the rest.
Marcuzzo
Those 2 books should get you started.
I've also bought a book on flash CS4 and I'm half way through now.
weableandbob
There are some decent basic tutorials on youtube
Surferboy
Check out these if you haven't already. If nothing else they are a good resource.

http://www.republicofcode.com/

Basically a manual:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Flash/10.0_UsingFlash/index.html

http://issuu.com/abdagli/docs/atp_ria_guide

Hope those help! Good luck learning As3! If you know JavaScript already it is pretty similar.
silverdown
I learned by downloading tutorials and just repeating that they did he he. that is how i learned.
Da Rossa
Read the fundamentals, then try and err, have some fun, then start your project.

Edit: don't spend money with the initial thing. Have a look at w3schools.com first, at the flash section.
Diablosblizz
What are you trying to learn in Flash? Just normal Flash videos, or the coding part of it. I don't think half the people that use Flash know about the coding part. Actionscript is very powerful, and pretty fun and easy to use.

I've either taught myself or taken classes on Actionscript at school, but I'm hoping next year will be C++.