FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mix between hand-drawn animations/cartoons and filmed video

Bondings
On one side you have the world of hand-drawn animation, cartoons and manga. On the other hand you have filmed videos featuring real people and real objects.

Movies like Avatar use a mix of computer graphics and filmed scenes. Some older movies used hand-drawn animations instead of computer graphics. However, this is not what this post is about.

The distinction between both can have a compelling and funny effect. Especially if the hand-drawn content is sketchy and black and white.

But I guess the best way is to show some examples:

First some juggling out of the frame:

Secondly the Take on me music clip by the Norwegian pop band a-ha:

There is also a funny literal video version of this music clip.

Do you like these kind of mix or do you have any other examples to show to us? (I call it mix since I don't really know the name of it.)
erlendhg
Yes, I think it is a very cool effect.

Since I am from Norway myself, I am very familiar with A-ha.
The Take On Me music video has actually been awarded as "Best music video in history", though that is many years ago now Wink
missdixy
Holy shit, the juggling out of the frame one just blew my mind!!! Haha. I'd never really seen this before.
Ghost900
If properly done a hand drawn world transforming to a real world or a blend effect can make for an entertaining piece of work while other times it may look like the person who made it was just being lazy on one side.

Many movies add CG work and other computer generated artwork with the real world to make movies but they have gotten so good nowadays it almost looks real so it is not so much cartoon mixed with real world but more of making a movie look fully real but being impossible to actually film. Very Happy