FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Learning a new language

fliesenburner
I want to learn a new language: Russia. But I don't know what is efficient and what is not.

Personally, I don't want to learn like I did in school. I want to see my success.
But there is an other point: I have to learn how to spell this language - what you think, how can i successfully learn this language? (without paying too much money, I'm just a poor student Wink )
pll
Try to find something on the net that will teach you the base. Then go to conversation groups (real ones not on internet) for speaking, it will be helpful and you'll learn fast!
The hardest thing (I think) in learning a new language is that you can't explain your idea in this language. You always need to come back on another language.
r4inm4ker
Learning language requires alot of effort and dedication (at least for normal person). Just basic stuff requires months to get grasp of, and to be able to communicate properly, it needs at least 1 year I think. It's much quicker when you live with people who speaks that language everyday, otherwise you really need determination to do it.
slashnburn99
stick post it notes up all over the house in different rooms, you will learn as you work past.

I.e call the rooms the rooms they are call the appliances the names they are and so on.

then try and write a shopping list a basket of items and shop for it walking around the store looking for that item
_AG_
If you're a poor student here, then it wouldnt hurt if you were a poor student in Russia. Immerse yourself in the culture and language by living there. Im pretty sure they have a Mc Donalds to work at.
kutekitten
I think you may have learnt the wrong way in school. I am a french immersion student (I live in Canada, it means that around half my classes are in french and the other half in english) I've been in french since I was 5, even though nobody else in my family speaks french. Just by being in a class where my teachers speak to me in french helps, you have to surround yourself in the language in order to pick up on the language. That's why you can't learn a language by translating everything. Sticky notes and talking to yourself in the language helps, having a friend learn with you helps a lot more... Just by talking to someone and having someone talk to you in the language you're learning will help more than you can imagine.
airh3ad
The best way to learn a language is to get totally enveloped in the culture and country of its origin. Many students study abroad and live with a host family. When you become a child in a host family, it simulates your experiences with a real family. You become one of several “siblings,” but the catch is that all of them speak the language you’re trying to learn. The continuous presence of your host family is a catalyst to learning a language abroad.
A close-knit group of people always asking and telling one another things is an excellent way to learn the basics. Shyness and awkwardness quickly dissipate as relationships are forged, and it’s easy to test the waters without feeling like you’re wasting someone’s time, e.g., a vendor or one of the locals.Here in our place a lot of foreigners like Korean , Chinese, Taiwanese study English in Cebu for a cheap tuition. how about self study? how long it takes?
crazy-_-e
Ya I agree, you should get into the cultture and then use the language allot.

but you should learn german!! Very Happy
andysart380
airh3ad wrote:
The best way to learn a language is to get totally enveloped in the culture and country of its origin. Many students study abroad and live with a host family. When you become a child in a host family, it simulates your experiences with a real family. You become one of several “siblings,” but the catch is that all of them speak the language you’re trying to learn. The continuous presence of your host family is a catalyst to learning a language abroad.
A close-knit group of people always asking and telling one another things is an excellent way to learn the basics. Shyness and awkwardness quickly dissipate as relationships are forged, and it’s easy to test the waters without feeling like you’re wasting someone’s time, e.g., a vendor or one of the locals.Here in our place a lot of foreigners like Korean , Chinese, Taiwanese study English in Cebu for a cheap tuition. how about self study? how long it takes?

yeah definatley try to get into an exchange program. we were a host family for a kid from japan for a month and had noticable improvement near the end, and he did say he learned more in the month spent in America than almost a year of classes back home. Ide say its your best bet. you can only learn so much through translation, you need to learn their expressions and slang and all that good stuff you know? how your getting some good ideas here
Greatking
the best way to learn a language is to live in that particular country for a while at least some months. it could be after you have learnt the language then you can go practice it with the people living and speaking the language it does help!
proyectosGT
I agree with most of posters. But I have a doubt, because I know people who has a lot of years in countries with a foreign language to them, and they only communicate with people who speak the same language. I have seen this conduct in old people or shy people. So, youngers and outgoing people has an advantage in learning a new language, I suppose. Bye, and excuse me my english. I'm still learning it.
Zsupermassive
You could search rooms on paltalk that teach you Russian. Good luck!
socceraggie
I recently started a new job that has a perk benefit that they offer access to the Rosetta Stone system. This came with online access to the learning software and listening CDs for my car. I have a long commute so I use these more often than the learning software. The software is good. The down side I've found from this software is that I'm not actually learning why certain words are certain ways. I'm working on German and I have begun to memorize what words to use when, but I'm not entirely clear as to the proper tenses and when they should be used.

I'm also lucky in that one of my colleagues was originally trained in Russia to be a German professor. He holds a class once a month with those of us working on learning German and helps us with some of these issues.

I struggled through Spanish classes in high school and I've found that learning a foreign language is just plain difficult.

Good luck with your journey!
webpinoy
I am a teacher for German as foreign language. I recommend to my students to use the web to improve the knowledge. You can read and listen the language, visit websites with topics you are interested in and read, listen to podcasts.

For the structure of sentences and other grammar you should still have a teacher, best is a native teacher. Writing you can do also in the internet. Only for talking you need a native, but you can do even this in the web by using skype.
therimalaya
I'm also trying to learn Norwegian language, I found very little material in the web. Also, the accent and pronunciation is also though, as there are a lot of silent letters. I came to know that there are a lot of job opportunity if i learn the language, but i am very much frustrated that there is very little improvement then i have expected.
mengshi200
I think ,it is a efficent way according need to study. for example,When you go shopping in supermarket ,you can study words about food.