FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

unable to connect FTP websites?

tamilparks
i am using windows xp with service pack 3, my system is having avast antivirus, i am using FTP software to connect ftp site to upload my websites, but nowadays the FTP is not accessing a message is coming your fire wall may restrict the FTP ..

can i know how to overcome this
Ghost Rider103
It sounds like you may have some settings on your firewall that might be disabling some features in your FTP program.

First, try disabling your firewall completely, and then connect and see if you still get the same message. If you don't get the same message, then the problem is obviously with your firewall. If the message still appears even after disabling your firewall, then it's probably not the firewall.

I'd take a look in the firewall settings and see if you can find anything, after you verify whether it is your firewall or not. My guess would be that it is.
Donutey
If you follow Ghost Rider's instructions and it still doesn't work, the next step would be to uninstall and then reinstall your ftp software (preferably with the newest version). What software are you using?
tamilparks
i am using core ftp lite

i have disabled and uninstalled and reinstalled the software again the same problem, how to chek the port (21)
ProfessorY91
Your problem won't be solved very easily, thats for sure. I'm going to take a stab and say that port 21 is blocked either by your ISP or by your router. The latter problem can be fixed by port forwarding, see http://www.portforward.com/

I can, however, give you a fool proof method to check whether you successfully unblocked port 21. Go to this site, and put 21 in the box. http://www.canyouseeme.org/
tamilparks
I am using BSNL Broadband Internet Connection, and it connected to a Windows Server 2003 , from that i am getting the internet connection,.. so can i know whether i have to change any settings in my server or in my system, how to unblock it from the firewall.. pls help

I checked this website http://www.canyouseeme.org/ the result is

Your ISP is not blocking port 21
ProfessorY91
You'll want to do the following:

1. Go here: http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
a. choose "All Service Ports" and wait for the scan to finish.
b. at the bottom you'll see a button called "Text Summary". Click it, and copy and paste the result to frihost.

2. Find out if you're running a firewall on Windows Server 2003. Do you have a cable modem hooked up to a server, and then have the server running to the computers? If that's the case then you may be running a firewall on either the server or the router.

3. Depending on the results above, find the make and model of your router. If you have no router, and just have a modem connected to your server, then Windows Server 2003 is running some sort of firewall program.

Port 21 is used for FTP (File Transfer Protocol). If you're running an FTP server, its good that you can be seen. However, for the purpose of filesharing, etc, you want to have all of your ports (or many of them) open. http://www.portforward.com/ can help you there.
sonam
Sometimes problems are not in firewall or antivirus. Try to find in core FTP options passive/active for FTP connections. Change (check/uncheck) this and see what happend. I have problem with my connection before I find how Dreamweaver 4 nedd to use passive FTP.

Sonam
albuferque
"One of the most commonly seen questions when dealing with firewalls and other Internet connectivity issues is the difference between active and passive FTP and how best to support either or both of them. Hopefully the following text will help to clear up some of the confusion over how to support FTP in a firewalled environment.

This may not be the definitive explanation, as the title claims, however, I've heard enough good feedback and seen this document linked in enough places to know that quite a few people have found it to be useful. I am always looking for ways to improve things though, and if you find something that is not quite clear or needs more explanation, please let me know! Recent additions to this document include the examples of both active and passive command line FTP sessions. These session examples should help make things a bit clearer. They also provide a nice picture into what goes on behind the scenes during an FTP session. Now, on to the information..."

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html
k_s_baskar
hi tamilparks i too have the same problem while trying to connect via ws-ftp so i tried coreftp now the almost solved.
Smile
aningbo
Quote:
It sounds like you may have some settings on your firewall that might be disabling some features in your FTP program.

First, try disabling your firewall completely, and then connect and see if you still get the same message. If you don't get the same message, then the problem is obviously with your firewall. If the message still appears even after disabling your firewall, then it's probably not the firewall.

I'd take a look in the firewall settings and see if you can find anything, after you verify whether it is your firewall or not. My guess would be that it is.

i would suggest you to try connecting with windows explorer and see what happens instead of using all those programs.

if this doesn't get connected. check with another system but using your same old connection.

also try using another software. good luck.
jdelfire
just to simplify this...
go to safemode with networking
and try using the ftp commands
if you can get in...

possible point of failures.

1. software firewall (including antivirus software with builtin firewall)
2. route firewall
3. ISP block

but since youve check this things already my next probing question is
what is your router and firmware version?

i have experience with some customers the same things
upgrading the firmware version will help...
but worst comes to worst... you might need to the a port forwarding
visualconcepts
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

try booting computer in SMWN, and then try to upload files using your FTP software.