FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best compression

Flakky
What is the best compression for different formats?
I currently use WinRAR with RARs to do everything but what is the best solution for images, text, applications, movies or whatever? Which program would do it's job better?
silverdown
I think both of those and 7zip pretty much are in the top for compression programs. I use them all for diffrent things. I guess in order to figure it out you would need to test then choose what is best for you.
weableandbob
I believe both 7zip and winRAR get similar amounts of compression, although I haven't used 7zip all that much.
Flakky
silverdown wrote:
I think both of those and 7zip pretty much are in the top for compression programs. I use them all for diffrent things. I guess in order to figure it out you would need to test then choose what is best for you.
Will test 7zip to some test files to see what happens Smile
soljarag
i usually use rar ... sometimes i use .zip if i think i need to send it somewhere that doesnt have winrar
Flakky
soljarag wrote:
i usually use rar ... sometimes i use .zip if i think i need to send it somewhere that doesnt have winrar

That is exactly how I do it as well. Sometimes I compare the rar with the zip and if the rar is small enough I include winrar with it so they can open it.

EDIT: still have to see what 7zip has to offer.
lethaltriad
Right now I mostly use Winrar but I've played a but with 7zip as well. The difference in file size are about the same so I usually use rars to compress my files. I really think we have gotten to our limits in terms of compression and it really is up to the type of files we are trying to compress that would make a significant difference in file size.
Flakky
Got no result from my test. The file was too big was the result after 20 hours of packing Razz
Marcuzzo
Flakky wrote:
Got no result from my test. The file was too big was the result after 20 hours of packing Razz

what were you archiving? Laughing
Flakky
Marcuzzo wrote:
Flakky wrote:

what were you archiving? Laughing

10gb of pictures. All 512x512 bmp Smile
badai
i think using compression to store data is kind of obsolete. storage is cheap, but the compression more or less still take same amount of time if you do it 10 years ago.

now i only use compression to pack it into 1 file for easy transfer rather than to save disk space. it just not worth the time to compress everything. i notice every time my hardisk is full, i will find new hardisk double the size with same price i bought last time, and suddenly i have too much free space. and this cycle will repeat every 1 or 2 years since, maybe last 10 years.

anyway, if you are interested in which compression is best for which kind of format, this site may help you: maximumcompression.com
Flakky
badai wrote:
i think using compression to store data is kind of obsolete. storage is cheap, but the compression more or less still take same amount of time if you do it 10 years ago.

now i only use compression to pack it into 1 file for easy transfer rather than to save disk space. it just not worth the time to compress everything. i notice every time my hardisk is full, i will find new hardisk double the size with same price i bought last time, and suddenly i have too much free space. and this cycle will repeat every 1 or 2 years since, maybe last 10 years.

anyway, if you are interested in which compression is best for which kind of format, this site may help you: maximumcompression.com
Thanks for the website Wink

Single files also make it more oprganised. And it has cut down 10gb to 849mb. I have about 2.5 tb of storage and it is far from being full. Still I don't want 10GB being used by something which I barely use and can easily be compressed. But I think I have only compressed less than 1% of my computer and I haven't planned to compress more.
driftingfe3s
I was using the 64 bit 7zip a while back but it kept hanging for a few seconds after uncompressing large files. Becuase of that I went to switch back to winrar and found that they had a beta 64 bit version and that has been working out great for me.
Flakky
I finally got excelent compression. I retried compression the files but I had to put them in a rar first. I used Paq8L (or something like that) and I went from 10gb to 849mb to 350mb. And everything compressed closely related to pi in percentages is awesome Smile (3.417% compression)
Rajiev
badai wrote:

Arh, nice link m8. I was using Win RAR for everything, but it seems it is not in top for any kind of file types :p

The biggest problem i had (and many have) is most of the programs give 0% compression for JPEG. But it says there are good programs that give over 25% compression ration :O

However, I coudn't find a link to download PAQ8 or StuffIt 14 Sad It seems PAQ is a freeware, but what about StuffIt? is it free or where to buy?
Flakky
Rajiev wrote:
badai wrote:

Arh, nice link m8. I was using Win RAR for everything, but it seems it is not in top for any kind of file types :p

The biggest problem i had (and many have) is most of the programs give 0% compression for JPEG. But it says there are good programs that give over 25% compression ration :O

However, I coudn't find a link to download PAQ8 or StuffIt 14 Sad It seems PAQ is a freeware, but what about StuffIt? is it free or where to buy?
StuffIt can be bought here: http://www.stuffit.com/win/index.html
ForceRun
I'm a big fan of Jzip a little fast freeware program. http://www.jzip.com/
kmaliagkas
silverdown wrote:

One vote for me. 7zip in some case cases has better compression and also it is freeware.
nil1511
KGB Archiver provide best compression but it take much of the time
and need more RAM.KGB has capability of compression 100mb to 10mb or 5mb depeding upon compression
Rajiev
Flakky wrote:
Rajiev wrote:
badai wrote:

However, I couldn't find a link to download PAQ8 or StuffIt 14 Sad It seems PAQ is a freeware, but what about StuffIt? is it free or where to buy?
StuffIt can be bought here: http://www.stuffit.com/win/index.html

Thanks m8...
But it seems it is a expensive program ehh?
/* thinking of a work around Wink
Rajiev
Downloading StuffIt.

Will try and let you guys know Wink
AftershockVibe
Do you need to preserve them in BMP format?

It's odd that you're trying to compress the batch, rather than use compression especially designed for images. Try converting them to JPG or, if you want lossless compression, PNG.

If you use imagemagick you can do this in a batch from the command line.
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

(You can still zip/rar/7zip afterwards)
soljarag
badai wrote:

exactly, I never use compression to save disk space on my harddrive.... I only use it when i want to send someone alot of files ... or if they are on a slow connection I use it to shorten the upload time
airh3ad
I used win zip and winrar i installed it on my pc and i used it regularly if we sending files in our office this to software is a simple and powerful solution to help you save valued hard disk space! the others used use NTFS compression on a file, the file can't be encrypted using XP's encrypting capabilities, so be careful not to compress any files that you want to encrypt.
Flakky
Rajiev wrote:

But it seems it is a expensive program ehh?
/* thinking of a work around Wink

It's probably expensive because you get online storage and more if I can remember it corrently.

@AftershockVibe, good idea. I don't know how to program a converter so the program will suffice Smile
Da Rossa
WinRAR and 7-zip are still on top.

Quote:

I agree. Compressing for storage gives us headaches just with the time spent to compress and decompress. Hard Drives are cheaper today.
Rajiev
A small problem with stuffit is it uses its own file format.

So both parties (in a network transfer scenario) have to have the program.
OR
You have to embed the decompressor in it ( .exe)

But You cant send the exe file in mail :S
Flakky
Rajiev wrote:

OR

You can if you but it in a zip or rar Wink
Rajiev
Flakky wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

OR

well, will it give the full compression ratio with rar or .zip ???

I dont think so Sad
achowles
As others have stated, 7zip is both damn good and completely free. I also use IZarc for other archive types.
Rajiev
I think All should come in to a decision to use one (or two) free, effective algorithm.
Hence by use a one program (one File type) and make it popular and the defacto standard.

So then we wont have to wonder about the other end when we are compressing something to send Smile
Flakky
Rajiev wrote:
Flakky wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

OR

well, will it give the full compression ratio with rar or .zip ???

I dont think so Sad
It probably won't compress but if you pack an exe you can send it Smile
Rajiev
I'm Confused? :S
Cant get what you are saying Sad
shenyl
JPEG files are compressed using multiple compression algo.

MPEG also uses different compression algorithms.

Most compression algorithms have an overhead portion.

Some builds a table for converting the compressed codes, some build a tree for the de-compression process.

These becomes the header of the compressed file.

All compression software translate the actual codes (some by block of binary bits, some by characters, some by phrase) based on a conversion table/tree/dictionary (as the header).

Example a 8 bits block can be replaced by a 3 bits code. This saved more than 50%.

But it all depends on the content that the compression software can achieve.

A JPEG file that is compressed will be hard to compress further using the same compression algorithm, but can achieve greater compression using different algorithm.

Some of these compressions are non-lossy (no loss of accuracy), but JPEG, MPEG are lossy compressions (that is why you can fix the degree of compression you want).
Non significant pixels are dropped to achieve greater compression ratio.

Do hope this help to illustrate why different degree of compression ratios are achieved by different software.
shenyl
Oh, I forgotten that JPEG uses multiple phase compression algorithms.

And MPEG also use Key frames to reduce the number of actual images per second.