FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moving domains

jmi256
I have a new WordPress blog set up going to my own domain. But I recently bought a domain I like better and want to transfer all my files to that new domain. I tried simply creating a new domain through DirectAdmin and copying all the files from the first domain, but obviously that didn't work. I then tried to simply delete the new domain in DirectAdmin to start all over, but now when I try to recreate the new domain, I'm getting a "Cannot create that domain", "That domain already exists" error.

So the problem I'm having is two fold:
1. How do I recreate the new domain within DirectAdmin?
2. Once that's done, is there an 'easy' way to migrate a WP blog to a new domain but on the same server? I tried Googling this problem, but have gotten different results. If anyone has done this with Frihost they may have a 'trick.'

Thanks in advance.
jmi256
Update: I searched through old posts and it looks like this is something Bondings (or pehaps someone else with the right permissions) has to do on the backend. It has soemthing to do with removing the DNS zone? Can someone help?

And any help on best practices for moving a blog from one domain to another is still appreciated!
Bondings
Sorry for not responding earlier.

Please pm me with the domain name if you don't want to post it here (otherwise post it here). And then I'll remove the dns zone, so you can add it again.

To transfer the blog to your domain, you will need to copy the current files of your subdomain (inside of public_html or a directory inside public_html depending where you installed your blog) to your domain public_html or blog folder (I guess same configuration).

You will then also need to change the settings and replace the subdomain name with your domain name. Probably in a config file.