FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Mass Effect!





Diablosblizz
I've just now been looking into the Mass Effect series and boy it's a boatload of awesomeness. Call me weird, but there's more to this game than just running around and shooting everything. It has a great story to it, and it is very well tied together. I haven't tried the second, and I'm going to buy the first game first (renting it right now).

I really think it's worth the $20 for the first game and $70 for the second. What are your thoughts on the game? Also, please no spoilers!!!
QrafTee
Diablosblizz wrote:
I've just now been looking into the Mass Effect series and boy it's a boatload of awesomeness. Call me weird, but there's more to this game than just running around and shooting everything. It has a great story to it, and it is very well tied together. I haven't tried the second, and I'm going to buy the first game first (renting it right now).

I really think it's worth the $20 for the first game and $70 for the second. What are your thoughts on the game? Also, please no spoilers!!!
$70 for Mass Effect 2? That sucks. Anyway I've been playing Mass Effect 2 for the PC (which is cheaper than the 360 version) and it's pretty good. It took some time to get used to the differences between the first and second games, but now I'm pretty much in sync with the game.
Diablosblizz
Well by the time I'm finished Mass Effect 1 it'll probably be around $40 (which to me is reasonable). How much difference is between the two games?
Flakky
I did not really like the action scenes and gameplay. I wished id like that because the storyline is supposed to be epic. I loved the first part but then I hated it. I want to try out ME2 before buying it.
driftingfe3s
I liked the first Mass Effect, thought my favorite action role playing game would probbaly still be Knights of the Old Republic. I'm not too sure whether or not I'll buy Mass Effect 2 yet. I've been playing lots of Modern Warfare 2 with my friends online lately and i'm not too sure if I'll have fun playing Mass Efect 2 over Modern Warfare 2.
Flakky
driftingfe3s wrote:
I liked the first Mass Effect, thought my favorite action role playing game would probbaly still be Knights of the Old Republic. I'm not too sure whether or not I'll buy Mass Effect 2 yet. I've been playing lots of Modern Warfare 2 with my friends online lately and i'm not too sure if I'll have fun playing Mass Efect 2 over Modern Warfare 2.
You can wait till Modern Warfare 2 becomes boring and then Mass Effect 2 will have a much lower pricing.
leontius
I never played the game but I read the wiki. The setting is quite interesting, and I happen to read some spoilers about the plot... might be a game worth playing, if only I have the console / better PC to play it...
QrafTee
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well by the time I'm finished Mass Effect 1 it'll probably be around $40 (which to me is reasonable). How much difference is between the two games?
Mass Effect 2 is more shooting, less RPGing, uh... less weapons, less armors, more characters, more dialogue options, no Mako, and less spontaneous (story-wise).
Diablosblizz
Wow, they removed the Mako... that kinda sucks. Oh well though, I've beaten the main storyline of the first game, just going back and visiting every place I possibly can and getting as much achievements as possible. Smile
QrafTee
Diablosblizz wrote:
Wow, they removed the Mako... that kinda sucks. Oh well though, I've beaten the main storyline of the first game, just going back and visiting every place I possibly can and getting as much achievements as possible. Smile
You liked it? A lot of people hated the Mako missions because it was repetitive... and mountains made those missions just horrible.
Starrfoxx
I haven't finished the first Mass Effect yet, and I lost some of my progress last year when my hard drive crash. Actually, come to think of it, I lost all of my progress and I had to start over. Anyhow, the game is awesome. I would really like to jump into the second game, but I would like to finish the first one. It's a very good game.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
You liked it? A lot of people hated the Mako missions because it was repetitive... and mountains made those missions just horrible.


Even though I didn't mind the missions, I agree with you in a way. They missions were repetitive and the mountains were annoying but overall I would have liked to seen the Mako in the second game because it's a good idea. With all the apparent bugs fixed in the second one, I'm sure they could have worked out the bugs with the Mako. Oh well though, I hear the second one is epic so I can't wait to get it. Still re-playing the first one, still discovering new stuff!
QrafTee
Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:
You liked it? A lot of people hated the Mako missions because it was repetitive... and mountains made those missions just horrible.


Even though I didn't mind the missions, I agree with you in a way. They missions were repetitive and the mountains were annoying but overall I would have liked to seen the Mako in the second game because it's a good idea. With all the apparent bugs fixed in the second one, I'm sure they could have worked out the bugs with the Mako. Oh well though, I hear the second one is epic so I can't wait to get it. Still re-playing the first one, still discovering new stuff!
Well then you'll probably like to know that Bioware is planning to release a DLC which allows you to use the Hammerhead (a new land rover vehicle)
David_Pardy
I started playing Mass Effect a few months back but something else distracted me from it.

So I'm going to start again from scratch and try to focus on it, I've been playing a bit of NFS:MW but have been kind of in a shooter/rpg mode, without wanting to play any of my FPS or dedicated RP games so I figure ME is a good midway point Smile.

My brother has been playing ME2 and loves it but says I need to make sure I finish the first one before I even think about the second!

Anyone got any ideas for a new character build? Honestly, I'm at work and don't have the game in front of me so I've forgotten what my options are...
QrafTee
David_Pardy wrote:
I started playing Mass Effect a few months back but something else distracted me from it.

So I'm going to start again from scratch and try to focus on it, I've been playing a bit of NFS:MW but have been kind of in a shooter/rpg mode, without wanting to play any of my FPS or dedicated RP games so I figure ME is a good midway point Smile.

My brother has been playing ME2 and loves it but says I need to make sure I finish the first one before I even think about the second!

Anyone got any ideas for a new character build? Honestly, I'm at work and don't have the game in front of me so I've forgotten what my options are...
If you want it easy, go Soldier--very basic and very little to manage, just point and shoot mostly. If you want to manage skills and such I'd play Vanguard--for those who like to get in close and shotgun the Geth in the face--or Infiltrator--especially if you want to snipe..
David_Pardy
I ended up restarting as a Soldier, I suppose I just couldn't be bothered fooling around with powers Wink.
achowles
I've just recently completed the first game with the engineer class. I tried with the soldier class and found it a bit dull, to be honest. The manual makes it seem like the soldier is the most universally capable, but it doesn't work out like that in the game. The engineer has some useful abilities, but you're much more dependant on them because you're basically left with the pistol and light armour.

I'm tempted to play through again with the Infiltrator class. It seems like a better balance between abilities and basic combat skills.

As for the sequel (don't worry, spoiler-free), you can actually import your character class and the choices you made through the first game into the second. Which is pretty cool and makes the trilogy seem more cohesive.

I just ordered the sequel today. The special edition too. It's supposed to be a lot better than the first so my hopes are pretty astronomical.
Diablosblizz
Well I caved in and bough the second one... wow. Just wow. It's hands down the best looking 360 game out there today. They've fixed EVERYTHING wrong in the first one, even though there wasn't much. Best thing I like about it (and yes it's something so simple) is the fixed menu. I HATED waiting a good 3 seconds for the start menu to open. Everything seems more snappier. Other than that, the graphics are 20x better than the first. Just watch the opening cut scene and you'll see what I mean.
achowles
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well I caved in and bough the second one... wow. Just wow. It's hands down the best looking 360 game out there today. They've fixed EVERYTHING wrong in the first one, even though there wasn't much.


I didn't even realise how many shortcomings the first one had until I played the second. The combat alone is drastically improved. Especially aiming and the cover system. Both of those bugged me a lot in the first one.

I was a bit bothered at first by the lack of inventory and limited means to equip your squad. But in practice it's just a whole different way of doing things... that actually makes more sense.

Oh, and did you carry over your Mass Effect 1 character? Is there anything you did in the first which doesn't have repercussions in the sequel? It's pretty damn amazing how they managed all that.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
I was a bit bothered at first by the lack of inventory and limited means to equip your squad. But in practice it's just a whole different way of doing things... that actually makes more sense.


That is one of the two things that's bothered me with the game. The lack of inventory and easy upgrading and the lack of skills! I would have preferred more skills in the second, although I suppose that it is split up for each class. I did import my character from ME1, and I'm playing that then probably going to go through again with a different non-imported character and see how the story changes.

EDIT: Another thing I like is the achievements. They've made it more simpler to get xBox Live Achievements, which is great.
PureReborn
I actually like the second one more than the first for actual combat. Being able to reload instead of waiting for cooldown keeps the pace up. But ME2 is pretty much a third person shooter with some basic RPG elements. Think Gears of War in space with lots of talking.
Diablosblizz
ME2 has defiantly dropped some of it's RPG style elements, some for the better some worse. One thing that I am starting to hate as the game progresses is the stupid 'hiding' situation. In the first game, B (for the 360) would make you crouch and you can hide from shooting. In ME2, the hide button is the same button as the run function. I have gotten stuck in many areas where I'd be running too close to a wall or something and Shepard would 'hide' there. I have also noticed that running up to a crate sometimes causes me to jump over the crate and take damage.
ashishmundhra
Diablosblizz wrote:
I've just now been looking into the Mass Effect series and boy it's a boatload of awesomeness. Call me weird, but there's more to this game than just running around and shooting everything. It has a great story to it, and it is very well tied together. I haven't tried the second, and I'm going to buy the first game first (renting it right now).

I really think it's worth the $20 for the first game and $70 for the second. What are your thoughts on the game? Also, please no spoilers!!!


Mass Effect 2 is a gr8 game .. just played .. the graphics and game play is awesome ..hats off to developers
amperx
Dont forget your me1 savefile, it gets you alot of options for me2, Very Happy
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.