FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apple iPad

jwellsy
Is an iPad just a large format iTouch, or am I missing something? It's locked into the itunes store and no camera or 3G phone.
Diablosblizz
Honestly, this thing is a complete fail. There is still no multitasking features and flash is non-existent in the Safari browser. However, it will sell millions because it has an "i" in it's name.
eday2010
It is a giant iPod. No Flash support, no multitasking, completely locked down. As a tablet, it completely fails compared to HP's Slate or Leveno's IdeaPad U1, which is a tablet running a Linux hybrid running off the processor within the tablet, but has akeyboard base that it can snap into, turning itno a laptop with an intel processor and Windows 7. Check out the video. It's quite cool. Both of those devices makes Apple's big announcement look pathetic.
Diablosblizz
Wow, I never heard of the HP Slate and it's actually running a OS! Thanks!
Flakky
It is intended for newspapers, comics, websites and just regular stuff you would probably be doing in a train. But for the functionality I expect a low price for it.
ssweat
yeah it seems that it is just a large Ipod touch, although I like the itouch I do find that somehow flash needs to be developed for these handheld devices. Flash is a commonly used tool in most websites these days and I find it frustrating that alot of site I visit cannot be fully accessed due to no flash. I haven't really read into the Ipad yet but am curious to see the price range. I am assuming its quite costly, so I sure wont be buying one without flash capabilities.
weableandbob
It's a large, overpriced iTouch with no multi tasking and a wimpy 1 gHz processor. Not worth it at all.
ahnguye5
not only is it 1GHz, it's an Apple processor Shocked
Flakky
So are there any pros for the iPad?
DeltaM
As I see no not compared to other products out there. You will only get a large scale Ipod Touch wich kind of sucks when you look at the price and all. There are so many other better products out there but people will still buy it because Apple made it so it has the "i" infront of it and some people find that it looks cool... You just need to make a name as a brand and people will buy any kind of shit you create. Evil or Very Mad
ForceRun
As a power reader it might be interesting. As a large format Ipod touch it will probably fail. No matter what it really turns out to be there will be a bunch of people who buy it just because it is from Apple.
selim06
I didn't have a chance to review it myself as it's still not out in Europe but I've been using SDK Tools for developing some iPad applications. The SDK based on iPhone's SDK, so naming it as a bigger screen iPhone/iPod Touch wouldn't be so harsh.
On the other hand, I still think iPad will be a nice gadget to have. You may think, I am just an absolute Apple Fan and I don't have any doubt before I buy something from them and I assume it's the best device on the earth. To be fair, I am not that obsessed with Apple but you can't just ignore the fact they are way more powerful and user friendly than most of their opponents and I think design is a big pro for any Apple product. Having an pragmatist approach to technology sector sometimes not the best one for some customers. For instance, most of us could wear wrist watches with lots of tools and features on them but most of us still prefer more stylish ones rather than a digital one which feature hundreads more functions. Especially for a mobile device which is supposed to be being used in public, we must admit the fact design and brand name is an important factor.
I will write down my personal experiences on the device when it will be released in the UK, (hopefully) soon.
aningbo
Quote:
Honestly, this thing is a complete fail. There is still no multitasking features and flash is non-existent in the Safari browser. However, it will sell millions because it has an "i" in it's name.

this is so true. ipad just doesn't fit in.
menino
The iPad is scheduled for April 2nd '10 release, and has limited orders, but I think it will do well, despite its current nonsupport for flash.

I think it has multitasking, but not sure.... I mean you can play music, while drawing, or typing a letter or working on a spreadsheet, right? I don't think it will be a complete fail.

Have you seen the games on the iPhone? They are pretty amazing.
A lot of applications also are quite good on it.

Despite all this... I'm waiting for Microsoft's competition to this, called the Courier, but don't know when this will be released.

I'll try to find news on Microsoft's Courier and post it here.
slashnburn99
i want a product that gives me google at a touch of button (instant) and Excel etc for next to no cost Razz
HalfBloodPrince
It is precisely an iPod touch with a larger screen. The 3G model is precisely an iPod touch with a larger screen with 3G capabilities. Why should Apple put effort into actually designing something new and useful when their fanboys will drool over the iPod touch XXL edition Razz
misterXY
Don't judge it till you touched one is the thing people are saying, and then you'll love it? Pssh
driftingfe3s
As someone said earlier the HP Slate looks awesome. Some specifications came out about a month ago and other than the slightly shorter battery life it looks way better than the iPad.
r4inm4ker
So did anyone here actually use Ipad before "slating" it (pun intended). I do not convinced with the design and functionality either, but to be fair, it seems to spark any other companies to produce something similar (and hopefully with better functionality).
Jean-Clod
For all of you: the HP Slate has been cancelled, and so did Microsoft's Courrier. Too late for them, I guess
william
I can easily list two alternatives to the iPad that I'd actually be willing to buy.

First is the Marvell Moby Tablet. 10" screen with an ARM Armada processor, Flash support, HD video support, WiFi, bluetooth, GPS, and the ability to run either Android or Windows Mobile. Marvell is targetting this device towards students, as a replacement for textbooks. But basically, this is an Android/Windows Mobile based alternative to the iPhone OS based iPad that can do pretty much everything the iPad can do. And the best part is, it's only going to be $99.

The other option is something you can order right now, it's the Viliv S10. This is for those who actually want to spend iPad money, but want much more out of it. It has a multitouch 10" screen (1366x768), it has up to a 2 GHz Atom processor, a 10 hour battery life, 3G, a webcam, a keyboard, handwriting recognition, and most importantly, it actually runs a full operating system (Windows 7). If you ask me, it's what the iPad should have been. It's essentially a tablet PC, but around the same price as an iPad. If I had $600 to spend on such a device, S10 for me.
ProwerBot
Screw all of you guys, I have te next gen technology: the iPad Nano (:
misterXY
ProwerBot wrote:

i have 3rd gen ipod touch 32gb, like the iphone 3gs without the phone part (skype makes up for that) Twisted Evil
ProwerBot
misterXY wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:

i have 3rd gen ipod touch 32gb, like the iphone 3gs without the phone part (skype makes up for that) Twisted Evil

I only have the crappy 8GB ): which is still 2nd gen.
pll
Diablosblizz wrote:

Multi-tasking is coming this summer if you didn't know.

Do you think an HP slate could get a number of apps like the ipad ?

There is already more than 185 000 apps that can help you do tons of stuff!
You couldn't get any of that on an HP-slate or anything else, and those apps can easily replace flash.

Flash is slowly going off, being replaced by HTML.
Jean-Clod
Well, it seems like that HP slate won't be powered by windows 7 after all, they'll use palm's (recently acquired!) webOS: apps, really neat multitasking abilities (even better on a slate, I assume), and flash, coming H2 2010
kind of best of both worlds, right? Razz
william
As I've said, why limit yourself to a mere mobile platform? I never liked iPhone OS, and considering you can get a Windows 7 device in this price range, why not? And if you have to have a mobile platform, why not spend $500 less on an Android powered tablet?
mahirharoon
its like apple made a friggin cool 51 ghz computer but windows 95 often came preloaded and it can be never changed , i could run windows seven on that processor without any problem other than being a little slow
jilbs
i agree just like others, its an oversized locked down ipod touch. there is nothing much you can do with it. for us advanced users we find it boring. the only thing that makes it attractive is its User interface.

by the way, its not only oversized, its also an overpriced brick. it costs somewhere from 2500 to 3600 Saudi Riyals depending on the disk sized.