FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will the battle field for OS be moved into the mobile world?

shenyl
Will the battle field for OS be moved into the mobile world?

With the twitting and the launch of Google's own mobile phone, will the battle field for OSes be shifted into the mobile internet world?

The momentum in Singapore seems to be very strong, with launches from various mobile phones supporting Google's Andriod OS.

Any comments or observations on this trends?
Fire Boar
Some thoughts on the topic regarding how Microsoft are doing in the mobile market.

PCs are the machines that are expected to run Windows. If someone has a PC, chances are it's got Windows on it. Microsoft have a foot in this market that will be very difficult for competition to dislodge.

On the other hand, mobile devices are NOT expected to run Windows. It's a given that whatever mobile device you have, it will run some kind of software but not Windows. Microsoft made its move too early, and Windows Mobile just isn't appealing enough compared with the well established competition.

For most, Windows = Computer, and so sticking the Windows brand on Microsoft's mobile operating system was a bad move in my opinion. At the end of the day, your average user, the one who gets frustrated by the computer going slowly, not working, whatever, will not go with the same thing for their mobile phone, knowing how mobiles can be great things that do things reliably and quickly. The "Windows" brand would be associated partly with familiarity which is what Microsoft are hoping to achieve with the branding, but also with crashes, slowness, and the frustrating things about Windows PCs that we've all come to know and love.

So this time, no one company has got their foot in first and barged all the others out. Instead, there's a lot of choice out there, and plenty of active competition in a very promising market. This is a Good Thing.
hunnyhiteshseth
I think it will be more of merging of both PC and mobile market. So, there won't be much difference left between the two. The current computers will I guess evolve into more specialized servers.
weableandbob
The OS battlefield will always be on the PC's, but there's definitely some competition going on in the mobile market
biznacho
I believe the mobile OS market will continue to grow and develop, while the desktop/laptop market will remain mostly as it is and develop perhaps at a slower pace.
ForceRun
I really don't feel that their have been any changes in the OS situation on desktops really. Microsoft still dominates 90+% of the market, Apple has 6%, and Lunix still has less then 1%. With both Windows 7 release and Mac OS 10.6 there were very few changes, and no new killer features that makes the consumer go after one more than the only.

I think a different marketing battle will be on the mobile OS side. It is not a straight fight on which one has more features, runs smoother or faster, and/or is best. Because a lot of people response to their phone is based on the Cell-phone companys and their location. Like Apples iphone is doing very well here in the US, but could do a lot better if it wasn't locked to one one carrier. I personally love my iphone and AT&T is the best option in my area Northern CA for phone coverage. But if I lived in San Fransisco where AT&T systems are all bogged down, I would most-likely not have the same experience at all.

Palm has a solid set of phones and OS, but they are locked to Sprint, which has low coverage for most people so it is never going to do well unless tehy open up.

Google is tied to T-Mobile which is one of the low end carriers around here.

Windows mobile is just a joke and the OS seems like it is at least 4-5 years behind everyone else, but they are on a bunch of carriers so who knows how they are doing.

Then you have the problem of the Contracts, where the customer is locked into a carrier for 2 years or so when they sign up, so they can't really swap to find the setup that will work best for them. If a solid phone and OS is finally opened up to all the carriers, and the contracts are dropped then I think we can see which one will end up on top. But I don't see that happening until the government comes in and fixes the carrier mess.
taytay
I don't think the battle will be shifted. Instead I think it's birthing a new Field of Battle itself. Mobile OS is quite different than a Full Computer OS, as they are now anyway. I can't say who is dominating the market right now. Apple has had a jump start, to me windows has always sucked, which has passed over into their mobile editions, where-in the Google android has been far better than windows. So the battle would be between the iPhone's OS, and Googles OS. Windows does something better with every release of Windows for PC. But imho they're falling behind. And since Google doesn't have a PC OS yet, Apple is running closely behind Windows.

To me it seems Apple has been the first to embrace PC(mac w/e), TV, MP3 Player and Mobile synchronization in a way that works unlike ever before. But googles whole foundation is universal functionality. If apple and Google teamed up to perfect every corner and aspect of what they currently have, and combine them, the outcome would be just so amazing I can't comprehend it. Either way, they are both doing well off. If google ever releases a Microsoft Windows Replacement I know I'll among the first of many to try it out. Because whenever google does something new, they don't just do it a little bit, they go All out, and they do it amazingly!
shenyl
I am excited that so many of you have given wide ranging perspective of the battle in the PC and also in the Mobile world.

ForceRun has given much coverage on the Cell phone that affects this competitive mobile market.

Fire Boar has given his perspective on view of Desktop = MS = troubles, slowness, etc, and Mobile is = NOT MS (Better not bring MS in to mess up).

Yes, I agree that the competitions are much more complex than merely OS suppliers, as these devices need lots of other stuff to run. The Network (wireless), the services (network without services is useless or dead).

I do notice that applications is also one perspective that contribute to the competition. My simulated iPhone (cheap and made in China) is useful because it gives my applications that does not exist in my older LG phones. What we can use the mobile computing is important from what I see, and Google is building muscles in this area with the Andriod development.

With regards.