FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google's Algorithm Now Understand Synonyms.

the-guide
Google recently announced the "major change" in the way they handle search results by including synonyms for some words that may be used in user's queries.

People use different words to find the same things.

Google plans to show the best results for search and recently Google's algorithm understands the words that are used in the search query, they understand synonyms the words that can mean the same thing, such as "pictures" and "photos".

They also made a change to how the synonyms are displayed. The searched words and the synonyms are now displayed in bold in the search results.

Web pages that contain just synonyms of the searched word can also be displayed in their search results. This may affect the position of our web pages in Google's search results!

-----
riccopt
that might be good for people who are already on the top... but might screw those who go for less popular terms that are synonyms to other highly searched keywords...
we will only know for sure once our sites get affected by that...
the-guide
riccopt wrote:
... but might screw those who go for less popular terms that are synonyms to other highly searched keywords...

... and I think this is the BIG trouble for small sites!
dude_xyx
My blogspot blogs have started getting more traffic then my other sites. I post them regularly but don't do any link building. I wonder it has something to do with this.
the-guide
I have noticed like that too, my blogspot blogs got more traffic just by ping them using pingler.com every day posting, that's normally I do.
Peterssidan
I think this is both good and bad. It's good when you don't know exactly what words to search for, I guess. It's really bad when you search for something and knows exactly what to you want to find and get a lot of other stuff. I guess this can explain why you get more visitors, because the users have to search more to get what they want.

A synonym is often not equal to the other word. Even if they mean the same thing they often have a hidden touch/feeling. Some word might be more common in certain situations. i.e. A highly educated man and a teenager might use different words to mean the same thing but the information the highly educated man search for is probably much different from what the teenager search for. Therefore I think it's dangerous to think that just because it's a synonyms the word is the same.
riccopt
the-guide wrote:
riccopt wrote:
... but might screw those who go for less popular terms that are synonyms to other highly searched keywords...

... and I think this is the BIG trouble for small sites!

exactly what I think as bigger websites will also get the traffic from the people who were going for the LONG TAILS...