FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Family planning ineffective

raaeft1
Family planning is the in thing for many years now, especially in India which has been facing population explosion.However, I feel that the Government's efforts in this direction have had more or less lukewarm impact so far as the people, especially those who are illiterate are concerned.
I cite the example of my driver. His wife is expecting yet another child---the fifth one.My driver has been hiding the exact number of children from the medical authorities. Instead of adopting family planning methods, he blames his wife.He is unable to feed his children and wife on the salary he gets and now yet another one is on the way.
I have been telling him to get operated but he is not willing.
ocalhoun
And exactly that is the root cause of many of the worst world-wide problems we have today.
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:
And exactly that is the root cause of many of the worst world-wide problems we have today.

Yup.

Damn you now misguided evolutionary instincts overriding intellectual recognition of an overcrowded world ...!
hunnyhiteshseth
I guess a that is also a symptom. The root cause is lack of education. For example, had your driver been educated, he would have realized benefits of small family. (and his intellect would have overridden his evolutionary instinct :-p)

Another problem is conflicting policy of saving girl child. To save girl child, pre-birth sex determination is illegal. But, since there is no limit of number of children a couple may have. So, the end result is that people keep on having children until they get a boy.

What government need to do to make both policies compatible is to either scrap law related pre-birth sex determination law or fix upper limit to number of children a couple may have. The latter is not possible in a democracy like India and former is retrogrative and will lead to further skewed sex ratio like that has happened in China.
driftingfe3s
I just saw something on the news saying here in the US teen pregnency has gone up 3%. It's sad, so much trouble and money could be saved with some birth control.
missdixy
Wow, five kids? Dang. But anyway, yea, I agree that family planning is a big issue right now, and becoming a bigger one. I wonder if the government will ever set a limit on how many kids one can have here in the US hmmm
Magicman
missdixy wrote:
Wow, five kids? Dang. But anyway, yea, I agree that family planning is a big issue right now, and becoming a bigger one. I wonder if the government will ever set a limit on how many kids one can have here in the US hmmm

I feel like an actual limit like that would be a huge infringement on our rights. I do think that people in the US should keep overpopulation in mind when they consider having children. Three children is enough for one family, and then only if the parents have the means to support them.
nam_siddharth
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Another problem is conflicting policy of saving girl child. To save girl child, pre-birth sex determination is illegal. But, since there is no limit of number of children a couple may have. So, the end result is that people keep on having children until they get a boy.

What about making a rule that a couple cannot have more than one boy child. It may look like discrimination based on sex, but it has multiple benefits.
1. It will control birth rate.
2. Sex ratio will remain balanced.
3. People's desire of having boy child will fulfilled.

But there are some problems with this setup.
1. Although most people in India favor boy child over girl child, there still may be some couple who want girl child. If their first child is boy, they will not able to have a girl child.
2. It sounds like discrimination on child based on sex.

To prevent this there may be an option in marriage contract whether you prefer girl boy or child boy. But there will arise some more problems. What about a couple who wants child without marriage. What if a person after having a child divorce his/her spouse and remarry with someone else. It may complicate things, that's what happening in China with one child policy.
Ghost900
missdixy wrote:

The US is one of the least populated per square mile of any country along with Canada and a few other countries.

As far as India's overpopulation, there is not really a good way to go about controlling it other than educating them. By limiting children, you then mess up the sex ratio and if you allow all you want then you get more overpopulation. The only real way to alleviate the problem is to help them understand the benefits of a small family in that country. In the US most parents only have 2-3 kids nowadays anyway so overpopulation is not going to happen for along time in the US.
hunnyhiteshseth
nam_siddharth wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

What about making a rule that a couple cannot have more than one boy child. It may look like discrimination based on sex, but it has multiple benefits.

It is as ineffective as current policy. This policy won't control population because if people don't get a boy child they will keep on trying.
nam_siddharth
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
nam_siddharth wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

It is as ineffective as current policy. This policy won't control population because if people don't get a boy child they will keep on trying.

But most people will have only 1 or 2 children.
ocalhoun
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
nam_siddharth wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Any reduction in birth rates is progress...
deanhills
Ghost900 wrote:
As far as India's overpopulation, there is not really a good way to go about controlling it other than educating them.
Not only India, but the whole of the world where there are large families that cannot be sustained, such as in Afghanistan and Pakistan for example. There are huge percentages of illiteracy in these two countries (as an example, as there are other countries too with huge illiteracy percentages) and I am certain that lack of education and ignorance play an important role in overpopulation. Especially among women.
raaeft1
My driver who had been blaming his wife for getting pregnant blurted out the truth today. He and his wife who already have three daughters and one son want another son.
I feel very angry at the ``ignorance'' and ``illiteracy'' among these people. They fail to realize as to how they would feed yet another human being who comes into the world. Already, they experience abject poverty and they do not realize that in these days of global recession and skyrocketing prices of foodstuff, it is very difficult indeed to provide even bare minimum necessities to survive.
jabce85
we need another plague
watersoul
It's always a tricky one talking about any kind of "state sanctioned" birth control, think extremes like China for example.
In the UK we have another problem with teenage pregnancy/single parents etc. Because of the regulations of our welfare state, it actually works out more financially beneficial to have lots of kids if you live in a rented home. The state pays the rent and local government housing taxes, plus a cash amount of money each week for food/bills and other living costs. Here are the current rates:

Single person - £64.30 pw
Couple - £100.95 pw

Have a child and this is the increase added:
Family addition premium - £17.30 pw
Each additional child - £56.11 pw

...so, having just one extra child brings in another £73.41 pw, and a further £56.11 for each subsequent child. I work in the welfare field and see many undereducated families/people who have no intention of getting a job because they can only expect the minimum wage and they won't be any better off at the end of the day (even worse off in some circumstances).

Another curious thing I've see happen lately is the number of "single/lone" parents who've mysteriously become pregnant as their youngest child is nearly aged 7.
New rules mean that a single parent cannot just stay at home for the money when the youngest is aged 7 and at school, they have to be available for work during school hours and attend the job centre benefit office to search for work, apply for jobs etc.
Another baby on the scene means they can avoid paid employment, and the state will increase the money by £56.11 when the child is born...plus tokens for free baby milk & healthy food on top.
I've also asked my colleagues/partner agencies and most have also noticed the curiously high proportion of "single" parents falling pregnant now their youngest is nearly aged 7.

Education for people?

The driver in India doesn't need a lesson to know that his poor wages won't pay for another mouth to feed, perhaps he thinks of the hoped for son as a pension in his old age, looking after him etc. - that would be a calculated decision.

The education of the people who drain our resources here has taught them what their rights are and they're certainly clever enough to exploit every loophole they can find - ingeniously sometimes.

I do know, that on an overpopulated island that can't grow enough to feed itself anyway, we should find a way to cut our birth-rate...otherwise we just continue screwing the less rich parts of the world to sustain our sometimes undeserved standard of living.

I can
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
The driver in India doesn't need a lesson to know that his poor wages won't pay for another mouth to feed, perhaps he thinks of the hoped for son as a pension in his old age, looking after him etc. - that would be a calculated decision.
Agreed. Some people may think of having children as a kind of wealth creation, not as putting stress on resources. Quite a different kind of perception. Some religions may also be a factor in influencing people to have more children, such as catholic for example.
watersoul
raaeft1 wrote:
My driver who had been blaming his wife for getting pregnant blurted out the truth today. He and his wife who already have three daughters and one son want another son.
I feel very angry at the ``ignorance'' and ``illiteracy'' among these people. They fail to realize as to how they would feed yet another human being who comes into the world. Already, they experience abject poverty and they do not realize that in these days of global recession and skyrocketing prices of foodstuff, it is very difficult indeed to provide even bare minimum necessities to survive.

That must be a horrible situation to see for yourself, but I'm drawn to thinking its less about being uneducated, and more perhaps about simply not caring that much about the new child to feed.
Just my opinion, but "uneducated" is sometimes overused as an excuse to explain away the harshness that some people simply don't care about some things that they should. Sad
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Just my opinion, but "uneducated" is sometimes overused as an excuse to explain away the harshness that some people simply don't care about some things that they should. Sad
Good point. Growing up poor and living a miserable existence, the only way to survive probably is not to think about it. Better not to care, as caring has to make it much worse. Perhaps also natural for the species to want to procreate, and in the absence of being susceptible to being coached to the contrary, or thinking too much about it, the natural thing to do.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
Agreed. Some people may think of having children as a kind of wealth creation, not as putting stress on resources. Quite a different kind of perception. Some religions may also be a factor in influencing people to have more children, such as catholic for example.

Agree totally with the religion thing as well, check out this link:

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideNews.htm?f=2010/february/1/news3.isx&d=2010/february/1

Quote:
Birth control bill is dead with Aquino about-face

by Christine F. Herrera

THE reproductive health bill appeared dead after Senator Benigno Aquino III, the last presidential candidate favoring it, on Friday withdrew his support of the measure, and apparently following pressure from the powerful Catholic Church...

...The bill’s authors want the bill passed, saying parents should be allowed to decide how many children to have. They also say the country’s population, now about 94 million, is growing at 2.36 percent a year, or by 2 million people...

...Elizabeth Angsioco, secretary general of the Reproductive Health Alliance Network, said the women’s groups would use the the RH bill as an election issue.

“It appears that the presidential candidates are blind to the benefits [that the bill] will bring to Filipinos,” she said...
deanhills
watersoul wrote:

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideNews.htm?f=2010/february/1/news3.isx&d=2010/february/1
I did not realize that the Catholic Church had so much power in the Philippines? Do people really practice what the Catholic Church preaches with regard to being limited to natural birth control however? I would imagine that this must be a great problem mostly for the very poor with limited resources? Good that they are making a political issue out of it however. Amazing again how corrupt and "negotiable" politicians are. Along with the Catholic church, "negotiable" politicians must be an obstacle as well?
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:

I did not realize that the Catholic Church had so much power in the Philippines? Do people really practice what the Catholic Church preaches with regard to being limited to natural birth control however? I would imagine that this must be a great problem mostly for the very poor with limited resources? Good that they are making a political issue out of it however. Amazing again how corrupt and "negotiable" politicians are. Along with the Catholic church, "negotiable" politicians must be an obstacle as well?

It's more about government funding to make birthcontrol cheaper, allowing women to make their own choice, rather than having to be coerced into unprotected sex because the husband doesn't produce a condom for whatever reasons. Try getting money off the husband for the pill when there's so much else that needs paying for.

As for politicians, I'd say pretty much most of them are negotiable all over the world...sad but probably true Rolling Eyes
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
As for politicians, I'd say pretty much most of them are negotiable all over the world...sad but probably true Rolling Eyes
Totally agreed. While there are such things as campaign contributions and getting votes in return for favours, polticians would always be negotiable. Hope however they can do something for funding for this in the Philippines. As you pointed out, this has also to do with women's choices, and that should count in a meaningful way.
belo-dc-laptop
I'm favor of family planning. Overpopulation makes our world smaller. We need a breathing room.
hunnyhiteshseth
watersoul wrote:
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:

Quote:
Birth control bill is dead with Aquino about-face

by Christine F. Herrera

THE reproductive health bill appeared dead after Senator Benigno Aquino III, the last presidential candidate favoring it, on Friday withdrew his support of the measure, and apparently following pressure from the powerful Catholic Church...

...The bill’s authors want the bill passed, saying parents should be allowed to decide how many children to have. They also say the country’s population, now about 94 million, is growing at 2.36 percent a year, or by 2 million people...

...Elizabeth Angsioco, secretary general of the Reproductive Health Alliance Network, said the women’s groups would use the the RH bill as an election issue.

“It appears that the presidential candidates are blind to the benefits [that the bill] will bring to Filipinos,” she said...

Religion is such a drag on every good thing and unfortunately politicians always get influenced by it.
deanhills
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Religion is such a drag on every good thing and unfortunately politicians always get influenced by it.
Maybe it is more a case of a clever politician being able to spot that which can influence people, and religion more often than not features in the policians bag of goodies that appeals to the general population. Sometimes though, depending on the society where the polician comes from, absence of religion can feature as well.
hunnyhiteshseth
deanhills wrote:
Sometimes though, depending on the society where the polician comes from, absence of religion can feature as well.

Give me one example.
apple
jabce85 wrote:
we need another plague

Laughing Laughing

---

I am for birth control. My son is 14 and while I may have my moments in which I consider another child... I won't get pregnant again for a couple reasons.

1. This planet is NOT where I wanna have a family.
2. The cost of living is ridiculous and there is no way to be sure I can provide for more children.
3. I like to sleep, no way am I giving that up! lol

I really do think its an injustice to bring children into this mess that we call life. Had it been in 80's I'd have not had any issues with having another child. With global warming, extreme weather, wars and the decline of humanity, beyond being able to provide basic stuff there is no to bring another life into this mess and ensure that they will be safe.
imagefree
i am totally against family planning. I cant explain the reason bcoz of my poor english, yet i have more arguments to believe that family planning is not a right option.
Nameless
imagefree wrote:
i am totally against family planning. I cant explain the reason bcoz of my poor english, yet i have more arguments to believe that family planning is not a right option.

Welp, I'm convinced.

apple
imagefree wrote:

How about you try and if there is something we don't understand, we won't bash you about it.
imagefree
apple wrote:
How about you try and if there is something we don't understand, we won't bash you about it.

I am a muslim, and Qur'an is the best guide for me.
This is the best i can quote:

http://www.jannah.org/sisters/famplan.html
Quote:
...Allah also says:

"And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We shall provide for
them as well as for you. Surely, the killing of them is a great sin"
(al-Isra 31)

These lines from Quran do not specifically prohibit birth control measures. Islam provides just the guidelines of a topic, and you have to apply your own intellegence / thinking to guess what to do in other / similar circumstances. The BOLD part of the quoted text says more than its aparent meanings.

I have not posted this for getting your comments. Its just because u asked me to do.
apple
imagefree wrote:
apple wrote:

I am a muslim, and Qur'an is the best guide for me.
This is the best i can quote:

http://www.jannah.org/sisters/famplan.html
Quote:
...Allah also says:

"And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We shall provide for
them as well as for you. Surely, the killing of them is a great sin"
(al-Isra 31)

These lines from Quran do not specifically prohibit birth control measures. Islam provides just the guidelines of a topic, and you have to apply your own intellegence / thinking to guess what to do in other / similar circumstances. The BOLD part of the quoted text says more than its aparent meanings.

I have not posted this for getting your comments. Its just because u asked me to do.

well thanks for sharing. Since you don't wish to discuss it, I won't add any additional comments Smile
goutha
imagefree wrote:

If you post anything, you cannot expect that people don't comment it, unless you disable the comment feature... which is not possible on frihost Very Happy

Now, I have alot of respect to what you cited from the quran, it's the interpretation that will differ from one person to another.

About 2000 years ago, it was common to kill a small child, especially girls. Quran says that you should not do this.

Family planning is another situation. If I try to interpret your quote, preventing a situation that will cause pregnency is not prohibited, then why not doing it?
apple
goutha wrote:

Family planning is another situation. If I try to interpret your quote, preventing a situation that will cause pregnency is not prohibited, then why not doing it?

exactly!
Arty
Family planning is not a perfect solution. I don't understand why people choose to have kids of their own rather than to adopt given the plethora of children waiting to be adopted (some with genes superior than their own if they choose to breed).
apple
Arty wrote:
Family planning is not a perfect solution. I don't understand why people choose to have kids of their own rather than to adopt given the plethora of children waiting to be adopted (some with genes superior than their own if they choose to breed).

Traditionally people are taught that when you become an adult you have kids that are a part of you. That you have little 'mini me's' running about the house.
Parents hardly ever teach their kids about being compassionate to those less fortunate or that there are kids who have no families and need one.

Adoption is an excellent idea imo. Yet for the life of me I don't know why people only consider it if they CAN'T have kids of their own!
hunnyhiteshseth
imagefree wrote:

Now that's an innovative argument!! lolz Surprised
misterXY
One solution. Buttsecks?
deanhills
Arty wrote:
Maybe it is a natural thing for a species to want to have children of its own. Sort of the ultimate in creation and one of the wonders of nature. Our minds however are probably not as natural, as most of the time they seem to follow in a different direction of the body, especially compared with other animals of the world.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Arty wrote:
Maybe it is a natural thing for a species to want to have children of its own. Sort of the ultimate in creation and one of the wonders of nature.

No ultimate in creation or wonders of nature required... but it is natural.
Wanting to have your own children rather than somebody else's makes perfect evolutionary sense.
iman
Most of us knew family planning when we were third graders. Nobody taught us, we just had our curiosity and the internet.
ankitdatashn
nam_siddharth wrote:

1. Although most people in India favor boy child over girl child, there still may be some couple who want girl child. If their first child is boy, they will not able to have a girl child.

To prevent this there may be an option in marriage contract whether you prefer girl boy or child boy. But there will arise some more problems. What about a couple who wants child without marriage. What if a person after having a child divorce his/her spouse and remarry with someone else. It may complicate things, that's what happening in China with one child policy.

Good thought but yeah it's very difficult to make it happen and a bit biased too, uptill now the biased attitude is unspoken but with this rule it will get a legal athority and girls will have inferiority complex.
goutha
This kind of birth control is not acceptable. One have the right to have as many babies as he wants...

ankitdatashn wrote:
nam_siddharth wrote:

Good thought but yeah it's very difficult to make it happen and a bit biased too, uptill now the biased attitude is unspoken but with this rule it will get a legal athority and girls will have inferiority complex.
Donutey
Education and empowerment of women decreases birth rates, it's that simple. This is why Europe, parts of asia, and the US all have birthrates at ~2 per woman or lower. Then you have countries like Saudi Arabia and Kenya that are 7+ per woman.
deanhills
Donutey wrote:
Education and empowerment of women decreases birth rates, it's that simple. This is why Europe, parts of asia, and the US all have birthrates at ~2 per woman or lower. Then you have countries like Saudi Arabia and Kenya that are 7+ per woman.
Although I agree totally with this, one also has to consider culture and religion as well. I have husband and wife friends who are both medical doctors and have lead full professional lives through six pregnancies and births. Where I am, the greater percentage of medical students who qualify as medical doctors are women, and they go straight back to their families at the end of their graduation. In fact, some of them have children while they are studying. Those students who have children have families who back them up, so that they can continue their medical studies with little interruption of pregnancies. All the systems support pregnancies as a priority. Very few get to practice as medical doctors. But if they do, usually family life takes priority, and is probably a source of conflict as well, for some who have great dreams to specialize. For example, they can't get to do residencies abroad without being accompanied by fathers and brothers, or family. A few do, and they do great, but they also return to full family lives. Family and children always come first.
Bikerman
'Where you are' is in the middle east, where women are routinely discriminated against by both state and religion.The previous posting covers it - empowerment of women is the only important factor.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
'Where you are' is in the middle east, where women are routinely discriminated against by both state and religion.The previous posting covers it - empowerment of women is the only important factor.
No, it is not the only important factor. Religion is a much more important factor.

Furthermore, I do not agree with your sweeping statements of discrimination. You did spend time in Saudi Arabia a while ago, and not all the countries in the Middle East are the same as Saudi Arabia. Maybe you need to live here for a while before you make your harsh judgments on a society that you have no experience of whatsoever. With the little insight that I do have, I don't believe I am qualified to make that judgment either. It is just too subtle for that. Women are very powerful in certain respects, and less in others. Religion goes very deep in all of this, and there is a very high premium on family and children. The friend I was referring to is in a very powerful position. No one would ever dream of thinking she has no power, least of all her.
Arty
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Arty wrote:
Maybe it is a natural thing for a species to want to have children of its own. Sort of the ultimate in creation and one of the wonders of nature.

Wanting to have your own children rather than somebody else's makes perfect evolutionary sense.

In our modern society, we should be able to look past our need to contribute to the human gene pool, and contribute to the next generation by rising a child who would otherwise have no parents as our own.

We are not like animals. We do not need to reproduce and pass on our own genes in order to fulfill our purpose.
ocalhoun
goutha wrote:
This kind of birth control is not acceptable. One have the right to have as many babies as he wants...

How so?

Do you have the right to kill anybody you want?
No, why not?
Because you don't have the right to infringe on others' rights.

Now, apply that in a situation where the area is getting crowded, resources are starting to run low, and other overpopulation-caused problems are happening...
In that case, you most certainly do not have the right to do something that will make those problems worse.
hunnyhiteshseth
Arty wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Arty wrote:

In our modern society, we should be able to look past our need to contribute to the human gene pool, and contribute to the next generation by rising a child who would otherwise have no parents as our own.

We are not like animals. We do not need to reproduce and pass on our own genes in order to fulfill our purpose.

Well we are animals, although social animals. Laughing And no matter how highly we think of our selves, our basic nature is same as other living beings - to survive & reproduce.