FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A strange and rather barbaric custom.

wellerchap
While out walking in the moors near Whitby (Northern England) yesterday we passed this scene next to fields absolutely covered in molehills...now that's one farmer who definitely bears a grudge!
Bit sad really, seeing the furry feckers like so.
I'd almost thought they were virtually impossible to catch.
After a bit of research it turns out to be the old countryside way for gamekeepres/rodent-catchers to prove to their employers they're doing their job and animals/nuisance birds etc are hung on a fence for the land owner to count, so he knows how much money to pay the catcher.
Seems rather barbaric in this day, especially when these were next to the only lane going into a village & would be seen by everyone.

rogue_skydragon
I know they're just doing their jobs, but that's terrible!
ocalhoun
Well, I don't know about moles... but a highly effective scarecrow is simply a dead crow on a stick...

Also, I thought I'd heard that barbed wire wasn't generally used in Europe? Is this incorrect then?
deanhills
Wow! These are good quality photos wellerchap. I particularly like photo No. 1. An amazing shot. Looks as though the first blighter got decapitated at the same time, if you could have got his head in, that would have been an absolutely perfect shot ...

I would have thought animal lovers would have been up in arms over this?
crimson_aria
I am not really fond of rodents, but those pictures look sad to me. poor them >.<;;
Marcuzzo
ocalhoun wrote:

Also, I thought I'd heard that barbed wire wasn't generally used in Europe? Is this incorrect then?

yeah, we also have coca cola.
just kidding Laughing
wellerchap
I must say, I was surprised how long they were/are....I suspect the trap breaks their bones somewhere in the middle, allowing their back ends to "drop"?
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
I must say, I was surprised how long they were/are....I suspect the trap breaks their bones somewhere in the middle, allowing their back ends to "drop"?
Sounds horrible when one goes into the details! Twisted Evil
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:

I'm not sure how often it is used in the USA, maybe they use it more than in Europe, but the difference probably won't be that big.

It used to be everywhere, but it seems like it is being replaced in a lot of places by electric wiring. But even then, a lot of it is still being used and I guess it's the same thing in the usa? Wink
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
It used to be everywhere, but it seems like it is being replaced in a lot of places by electric wiring. But even then, a lot of it is still being used and I guess it's the same thing in the usa? Wink

Ah, good, another bit of false information debunked... I try to be aware, but with never having been there, I can only go by what I hear.

In my part of the US, and in most other rural parts, the only fences that aren't made of barbed wire are decorative fences and horse fences.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Ah, good, another bit of false information debunked... I try to be aware, but with never having been there, I can only go by what I hear.

In my part of the US, and in most other rural parts, the only fences that aren't made of barbed wire are decorative fences and horse fences.
I don't live in South Africa, but I have family there, and there is plenty of barbed wire on top of walls and in farming areas. Lately they have added electric fencing, and the irony is that quite a large percentage of accidents at home happen when people accidentally touch the electric fencing. It almost happened to me as well when I was on a visit two years ago. The barbed wire can also create some nasty cuts, especially the ones that are like razor blades - razor barbed wire mesh.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I don't live in South Africa, but I have family there, and there is plenty of barbed wire on top of walls and in farming areas.

Wait... what?
When did South Africa come into the conversation?
wellerchap
I would imagine in South Africa they've bigger "moles" to worry about than those in my pic....pretty lawless out in some areas still, I'm led to believe.
guggs
In the less well educated parts of Tring they still do that sort of thing to people from neighbouring towns such as Chesham, Wendover or Leighton Buzzard. Probably explains why the bus services from those places aren't very well used.
wellerchap
Ha ha....you can't fool me, Guggsy....everyone knows that everybody's well educated darn sarf...it's us norverners that are a bit lacking up top Laughing
hanarissa
I know they're just trying to protect their crops but it's far too cruel to do such a thing.
menino
I think they are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Laughing
wellerchap
hanarissa wrote:
I know they're just trying to protect their crops but it's far too cruel to do such a thing.

I've found more out recently about this, and it's more in fields where livestock is kept....the moles dig tunnels, and every so often dig an "up" spout to allow air in (and make worms fall into their tunnel!)....a horse, cow etc walks over this hole, breaks an ankle, and has to be destroyed...it really is a problem for farmers.

That said, I bet the 20 on that fence represents only a small percentage of the population in those fields!
The_unnamed_label
Thats pretty strange indeed...
coolclay
Wow, that is really crazy! I love moles, but understand the problems. Unfortunately there is no better method out there in this day and age. I do they make ultrasonic mole repellents, but I do doubt the efficiency!
emanuel2
aw, quite disguisting :/
Bluedoll
Maybe it is a left over custom from the Roman Empire Conquest. Game - keeper or gatekeeper? Gatecreeper perhaps?
gandalfthegrey
This practice is gross! If they are going to be killed as 'pests' - they should at least be disposed of properly and safely.
quex
gandalfthegrey wrote:
This practice is gross! If they are going to be killed as 'pests' - they should at least be disposed of properly and safely.

What disposal method is more "proper" or "safe" for a dead wild animal than to be left out in the countryside for scavengers? ._.
quex
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, I don't know about moles... but a highly effective scarecrow is simply a dead crow on a stick...

This, strangely, does not work where I live. Putting out a dead crow attracts vultures, which attract more crows (out of curiosity), which attracts coyotes (also out of curiosity, since they prefer live prey to a carcass and will therefore come to a group of crows, but not a group of vultures).

Putting out pretty much a dead ANYTHING gets you more attention in the desert.

On a topic barely related, I have discovered that halved grapefruits keep the neighbor's cat away from our birdfeeder. The woodpeckers love them, too! :D