FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shopping Carts

Aredon
I have a potential client looking to overhaul their website and add a shopping cart. I figured instead of trying to figure out how to code it myself (which would probubly be insecure and time consumeimg), I'd ask you guys if you knew of any good php frameworks that include a secure shopping cart!
cr3ativ3
Aredon wrote:
I have a potential client looking to overhaul their website and add a shopping cart. I figured instead of trying to figure out how to code it myself (which would probubly be insecure and time consumeimg), I'd ask you guys if you knew of any good php frameworks that include a secure shopping cart!

Well, software is one part of the hastle and i'll link you up to some good sites for finding appropriate/suitable shopping carts... However you'll need to look at the security side of opening an e-commerce site, on a different level than the cart software itself. If your going to be accepting credit cards (obviously), you'll need to determine whether your going to do this on your site... Or use an external payment gateway like Paypal. If your going to accept Credit Card payments on your site directly, then you'll need to purchase an SSL certificate from some CA (Certificate Authority) usually you can do this from you domain Registrar, you may also need to purchase a dedicated IP address from your web host to get this to work. So in the end i'd say find a shopping cart that is compatible with using Paypal or similiar Payment Gateways, its as secure if not securer, and is cheaper/easier.

Back to your question about PHP/MySQL shopping carts, ultimately Google will service you well if you search "PHP Shopping Carts".

Or if you look at some of the scripts that cPanel has included in it's Fantastico module, they are pretty good scripts and you can find them free (outside of cPanel).

CubeCart is a great script (haven't used it myself) [Commercial]
osCommerce is a free script which has gained alot of popularity [GNU Free]
Zen Cart is another free open-source cart [Free]

Anyways, hope this helps!
Aredon
Yeah we ended up going with a paypal integration. Was pretty easy to work with, plus I'm getting paid via paypal anyway.

In any case thanks for the help! Cool
babarus
what are you saing about this http://www.ex.bbwebdesign.frihost.org/magazin?
all this site is made by me ... !but now i am working to correct the mistake.
riccopt
another option is to use Coffee Cup Shopping Cart Creator...
it is not free, but it is the easiest thing I ever used...
clydejaw
Hey, I recommend Magento.

The CMS side of it is actually quite useful, but learning the entire architecture might be time consuming. It's all worth the effort though because Magento has a lot to offer.

Opencart is also another good one, simple and easy to set up! and their architecture is slightly easier to understand so you will easily get things started. Magento takes a while to install and can be a bit nasty if you don't have the right settings on your server. Don't be put off though, there are ways around it and there are plenty of helpful community in magento.

I was told to stay away from OScommerce because they are way outta date.

I haven't tried Zen Cart but I heard some good news about it as well.

I am currently still working on my shopping cart using magento! but also another downside is that it may be a bit slower than open cart but the advantage is functionality.

Smile
andy26
I've setup 3 online stores for clients now using zen cart, its much easier and feature packed to use plus the forum support is great, oscommerce is what zencart is built on top of but oscommerce lacks all the usefull features zencart has overall use zencart.
Aredon
I've heard a lot of good things about zencart too, but here lately I've just been using IPN and paypal sandbox. From scratch for the win? Confused